KC: Courtney, I'm, I am so thrilled that December the 6th I'll be 90 years old. That this morning I was able to get up early, get dressed, get on the treadmill, work out hard. I have to because, uh, it's heart exercise. Keep it pumping and it's working. But there's a lot of this going on.
Court: I'm proud of you- Thank Are we rolling? We are. We're rolling? Okay.
KC: You go ahead and pray.
Court: No, I want you to pray.
KC: Okay. Father, we thank you, praise you and honor you, that back in the day when I first began recording records and albums and so forth, the technology wasn't even available to do this. blessed us beyond measure according to the word of the living God. We redeem from the curse of the law Christ being made a curse for us, for it is written, "Cursed is everyone that hangs on the tree." Redeemed us from the curse of the law that the blessing of Abraham has come upon us, and we praise you and honor you for those covenant promises backed by the sweet blood of Jesus, the sinless blood of the Lord. And we thank you, thank you, thank you. Whose we are and whom we serve, in Jesus' name, amen.
Court: Amen. Well, everyone, welcome to the very first episode of the Kenneth Copeland Podcast.
KC: Okay.
Court: Featuring Kenneth Copeland. Yay. Papa- Oh ... we talked about doing this show for a while. Yeah. For a few months we've talked about this, and it's because a lot of people have been following you for a lot of years, and I feel like they don't get to see the side of you that I get to see, the grandfather side, and the loving, caring, personal side of you. And so we've been talking about doing a podcast so you can have your friends on, and y'all can talk about life experiences together and... So this first set of episodes is gonna be just me and you. I have some questions from your partners and your friends and-
KC: Good
... Court: I think it's gonna be really fun.
KC: Good.
Court: I want to start off by- Uh,
KC: let me... May I start, please?
Court: Of course you may. It's your show. You do whatever you want.
KC: You remember we were making the western, and, uh, we... It was the second one, Covenant Rider, and I was sitting with my... I had... It, it wasn't the f- it wasn't Wichita Slim's hat, but it was mine, and I had a, a little baby in my arms with a Texas T-shirt, and it was you.
Court: We'll make sure we throw that photo up for everyone to see. I'm really honored to be sitting here with you. Thank you.
KC: Thank you, sweetheart.
Court: That would've been 33 years ago.
KC: Yes.
Court: Wow. recently you did a podcast episode with Bryce Crawford.
KC: Yes.
Court: And that was so fun to watch you do. I was so proud of you and the way you answered all of his questions. What were your thoughts about that episode?
KC: I, um... It was great. He kept saying, "I can't wrap my mind around it." You don't wrap your mind around it, you wrap your heart around it. He was talking about the message of prosperity. And, uh... But that's, that's, that's the point. And I'm not referring to him now. Gloria and I, January the 24th, 1967, enrolled at Oral Roberts University with $24,000 worth of debt. Ugh Gloria said, "You must have borrowed money on your tricycle." No. Let, let me s- take, walk you through it. When I was a senior in high school, all TV was black and white. But there was a man named Pat Boone that, it was Foremost Dairy, and, uh, they were, uh, you know, looking for teen talent back in those days. And, uh, so I met him, and then it w- we had to go to the WBAP studios and, of course, television up to that time had all been black and white. Well... And I, and, and Courtney, I didn't know in the beginning what the prize was. so the audition guy came in, "What do you sing?" I said, "Well, what do you want?" Well, right then Blue Velvet was, << She wore blue velvet >>. They... Now sang Old Man River. They said, "Well, that's really not what we're looking for." And, uh, so then I said, << Money, honey, oh, oh He said, "That's more like it." 'Cause that was huge back there then. And so I won it three times, and I got a nice radio about this big. I run it three times more. And so I could maybe reenact it a little bit. It was the Bewley Barn Dance. Everything for the American ranch and the American home. And it was that evening, and it came out there in black and white, just like it always had. All TV was black and white. And, uh, they counted down the switch- Down to 10, I sang Ghost Riders in the Sky. An old cowboy went riding out one dark and windy... Color TV. Can you imagine it? And I really said, "The next thing you're gonna know, they're gonna air condition my truck." So, yeah
Court: What year would that have been?
KC: I was a senior in high school, 1955. And, uh, so then a recording contract came out of that on Pledge of Love. Well, I kept trying to make it, and I, I just really got fed up with it. And I just came home. I said, "Dad, I wanna learn how to fly. I wanna get out of this." And I did, and I soloed August the 24th, 1961, at Meacham Field. And TCU was playing Arkansas for the, uh, Southwest Conference title. I went to an after-game party, This man came up and said, "My daughter's the best looking girl in the state of Arkansas." I said, "Is that right?" Then I just kept on. He said, "You don't believe me, do you?" "I believe you, man." "My daughter's the best looking girl in the state of Arkansas." Well, I wanted to see the best looking girl in the state of Arkansas. So Sunday morning, 8:00, October the 8th, 1961, there was a sliding door there, and I thought, " Man, he wasn't kidding." And, and FBO, you know, a fixed-base operation I went back to the car lot. And, "Kenneth, uh, I've taken over the fixed-base operation in Camden, Arkansas. You wanna go?" "Yeah, I'll go." "Don't you wanna think about it?" "No, I thought about it. That girl's over there somewhere, and I'm gonna find her." Well, the bottom line of this, Courtney, first date, I mean, gorgeous and beautiful. Then I'm thinking, " You know, she's probably gonna say, 'Well, Kenneth, now we need to think about this.'" So I thought... And we went to the Rocket Room, and I sang Misty to her, well, by Johnny Mathis. She didn't say anything. I didn't know at the time how, how quiet she was. Only one date. She didn't say anything about that. So I just walked up on the porch. I said, "Gloria, will you marry me?" "Okay." What? Okay. She said, "What have I done? I don't even know this guy. Oh, well, I'll get out of it later." Last month, 64 years, and Gloria Jean's not out of it
Court: yet. She's, she's the best. She's quiet, but she's stealthy.
KC: Oh.
Court: She's stealthy. Actually, someone wrote in. They asked a question. They said... This is Sarah from Atlanta, Georgia. She said, "You just celebrated your 64th wedding anniversary. What's the greatest piece of marriage advice you believe contributes to a successful and happy marriage?"
KC: Base everything you do on the word of God. Everything. you know, we were living at the other end of the lake here on Eagle Mountain Lake, and she came to me. She said, "Kenneth, we either go- I'm, I'm, we either have to build this house or just, just stop messing with it." 'Cause she said, "We're doing well with what we have now." So we went to the prayer cabin. We don't do anything without praying for it. everything we've done, we pray about it first. We lay the scripture out. So we went to the prayer cabin. And I, and I, and what, what we do, we just set aside everything else and pray about that one thing, not a lot of things at one time. And you've been there. It's very quiet. It's out in the country. Mm-hmm. I mean country country. of course, I had my Bible with me. We'd talked about it, and talked about it, whether or not... 'cause it's a large house. I opened my Bible, of course. The 54th chapter of the Book of Isaiah, and I began to read, and she began to cry. I said, "Gloria Jean, what?" And she said, "Those were the scriptures that I used when we were still in Tulsa. 'Don't let anyone steal your dreams.' And this home was my dream." And I said, "Something else the Lord told me to do is stay out of it." She said, "What?" I said, "Gloria, the Bible doesn't say a virtuous man builds his nest." So, and the Lord said her dream took upon faith, came up out of her heart. Now, prayer i- is what did this. She took those little squares and placed her furniture and things in there. Th- th- this is important. You don't fuss about it. He said, "This is the easiest job I ever had. I just swap it over to blueprint." here's my point. Since January the 24th, 1967, she and I have never done anything without praying about it first.
Court: So the two things, you said there's two things. One is we don't do anything without praying about it, and what was the second one?
KC: Keep it on the word of God and keep it in love. We d- we, we, we didn't argue with one
Court: another I've heard you say, from the platform, I've heard you say it's hard to argue with someone who won't fight with you.
KC: That's right. I only raised my voice to her one time, and, uh, Courtney, I, I, it's the only time ever. I don't, I don't know what set it off, but for about, oh, I don't know, 30, 40 seconds. And I just... It was, it was a rent house, and there was a big old green couch there. And, uh, and I said, "Oh, Glo..." And I just wanna... I, I, I, I, I felt like I'd slept 24 hours, such a deep sleep. Now, I was on my side there, and, uh, and I looked over my eyes and I said, "Glo, I gotta preach." She said, "I know it." Instead of slapping my jaw, she just said, "I know it." And that's the way it's been.
Court: I heard her say once, this was probably 15 years ago, we were in Steamboat, and she asked you a question about something, and you said, "Gloria, I'm not gonna tell you again." And you, she, she said, "Well, if I ask you, you sure will."
KC: I will.
Court: And you said, "You're absolutely right. I sure will." And I just have always watched you, I've watched her and you have this rapport with each other that's the sweetest thing, but you were never, ever offended with each other.
KC: No.
Court: Ever. Y'all are the strongest A-team that I've ever seen, and I am really proud of, of that. Thank
KC: you. Thank
Court: you. Speaking of Uncle Jerry Savelle- Yeah ... someone asked in here, they said, "How often do you think about Brother Jerry, and d- do you miss him?"
KC: It's hard to answer. Yes, I do miss him. And Carolyn texts me from time to time. And Jerry was in the Army Reserves. And, uh, so... And people, you know, we'll talk about the airplanes in, after this conversation. So our chief pilot, Dwayne Flanagan, flew out there. And in the back of that airplane, there's some couches there, and, uh, so they just took that out. I was at the airport, my, my, our airport office with, uh, Dr. Tony, talking about going from Bible college to a university. And Jerriann called just screaming, "Why did my daddy have to die?" I said, "Jerriann, what? Would you hush. What are you talking about?" Oh, why did my daddy have to die? I, I never even think about it. At first, the shock was overwhelming. And it came into Alliance Airport. Well, Ross Perot built Alliance Airport. Strong Christian people. And, uh, the fire trucks did a water cannon salute. I was all right up to then. And then, I got up in the back of the airplane and Duane said just, "Let the two of them alone" with a United States flag draped over him. And I reminded him of the first time I ever saw it. I was in Pismo Beach, California. Young man by the name of Dave Malkin came to me. He said, "Brother Copeland, stay with us. We're baptizing people in the ocean out." I said, "Dave, I don't have time, but I have a young man that can do it." "Who?" He said, "Jerry Savelle." He said, "Send him to me in a hurry. I need him." And he did. Job number one. So then he came back he said, "I'm supposed to go to work for you." I said, "All right, Jerry. That's fine with me." And of course, Mr. and Mrs. Alex
Court: is getting you a tissue.
KC: Thank
Court: How many years of ministry did y'all have together?
KC: Over 50. Well, it was five years after I started. Now, let me back up a little here. Carolyn said, "Jerry, I want you to come hear one more preacher one more time, and after that, I will never ask you to go to church with me again." Said, "Who?" "Ken Copeland." "Oh," he said, "I know who he is." "You don't either." "Yes, he had a hit record." "Oh, come on, Jerry." So, I had my Bible. And Beard, you have my, you have my Bible over there. Any- anyway, I had it in my hand like this. And of course I di- I didn't know Jerry Savelle. I didn't know anybody in that church. I, I knew, uh, uh, I knew the pastor well, and his piano player. Oh, that girl. And, uh, I had my Bible like this, and then I just stopped. And, you know, of course I was facing the other front. I just stopped. Jerry was sitting right here. And I said, uh... I don't know why I'm telling you this, but in 1957, I had a hit record called Pledge of Love. And, but I decided to get completely out of that business and, and go into the ministry. I got completely fed up with it and forgot about it. Jerry said he looked over there and said, "I was right, for once." But he said, "You're right. I want to know everything he has to say." And that's when it started.
Court: Y'all were the best team.
KC: Yeah. Five years apart.
Speaker 2: We hope you enjoyed this episode of Kenneth Copeland's podcast. Be sure to join us next week for another episode. And don't forget, we'll see you at the Southwest Believers' Convention July 27th through August 1st in Downtown Fort Worth. Registration is free and we wanna see you there. Remember, God loves you, we love you, and Jesus is Lord