The following presentation is brought to you by The Pride of ODU, the official NIL collective of Old Dominion Athletics. Be a Monarchist. Join The Pride.
Aaron: What's up Monarch Nation? We're back after, after a football game. We did have a football game on Saturday. We played Marshall. Some of it was good. Some of it was not so good. But, uh, We've got Gary, Jarod and Jonathan in the house to discuss all the good stuff, the bad stuff and everything else in between. Fellas, how you doing? Just okay.
Gary: We're here, we're here and we're a day late, but Hey, we're bringing you Jarod and Jonathan again. So I should make up for the a 24 hour delay here on the release.
Jonathan: Well, Hey, glad, uh, glad to be here. Not so glad after a Saturday, but, um, Yeah, another tough one, which feels like a rinse and repeat for the season. But, uh, we, we played a football game. We lost a football game, so,
Aaron: yeah, we lose 42 35. Um, Mike is on vacation for Thanksgiving this week. We brought you guys on when we've actually won a game this year. Or are you just here to deliver bad news to Monarch Nation? I
Jarod: see a trend developing, you know, I think we're like supposed to be the optimists or something. Maybe we'll be better next weekend. I don't
Aaron: know. Maybe we have to start inviting you before the games, you know, you never, it's you, it's not, it's a, what do they say? It's, it's not the correlation. It's definitely not causation because we're asking you to come on afterwards, but anyways, uh, Monarch Nation, you can blame these guys, uh, two of the Best players in Old Dominion history talking about, uh, one of the, uh, exciting, but, uh, more sad games of the season.
Gary: Kind of the same thing we've seen the last couple of weeks, right? We're close, but no cigar. I think that's the story of the season. I know it's six of our seven losses have been one possession. Uh, so it's like a bounce here, a play here and a penalty there and no penalty there, and maybe we're having a different conversation, but. The end of the day, you are what your record says you are. We are now 4 7 with this loss to Marshall, playing for nothing but pride and a, you know, season win total bet of over four and a half. So, we'll see. We still got one game left. We still got guys we want to see play and support them that way, but I think there's time to kick off the dust on the transfer portal and post season discussions here.
Aaron: So this game starts out, you know, not a lot of fireworks, you know, in the first quarter it ends 3 0 Marshall and, uh, you know, things get rolling a little bit in the second quarter and this is a real game. Um, I know as you guys are watching this game, the first half, what were your thoughts?
Jonathan: Yeah, it was, um, we, we definitely came, I mean, the defense came to play, obviously they put 17 on us the first half, but offense. Just wasn't clicking again. I don't know. You know, maybe it was Marshall scheme. Maybe it's our scheme coming in against him. But, um, you know, it's definitely a tale of two halves on the offensive side of the ball. But, uh, you know, defense kept us close, you know, as much as they could, uh, at least through the first half and really fought for us. But, yeah, it was, um, definitely slow start for us, which I think, you know, we we had that issue at the beginning of the season. Uh, and then we started coming out quicker. Uh, again, whether that's scheme related, you know, everybody studies their film, you come out with your play sheet, right? This is, you know, our scripted plays to kick off whether first drive, second drive. Um, you know, obviously we don't know all those things, but yeah, it was definitely not what we were hoping for in the first half.
Jarod: Yeah, I feel like that that all makes sense. I just from from a standpoint of how did I feel in the middle of it all as we're sitting there watching it. I felt really good about some of the big plays we were making. I felt like we were making these, you know, 15, 20 yard plays, a couple of the RPOs that we'd hit over, hit the tight end over the middle. And those things like, yeah, we didn't end up finishing on those drives, but we're playing well, we're doing the right things. And in the middle of the first half, I really felt optimistic about the game. I really did. I thought that, you know, we were going to come keep scoring. We were going to keep playing well on offense or keep getting better and better on offense, not keep playing well, because like we said, we started pretty slow. Uh, and then our defense has been good all year. We've been talking about that every time we've been on here. And I felt really optimistic in the middle of the first quarter of that game.
Gary: Yeah, I just feel like the offense got off to such a bad start. I mean, first play of the game, it's balls intercepted. The pass was forced. The receiver really wasn't that open. I think that kind of set the stage for some of the things that fell apart in the fourth quarter with the defense having to spend a lot of the first quarter on the field. But we stayed in it. I mean, for a while there, it looked like it could get a little bit hairy when we were down by 10, we were able to battle through some stuff and make some key stops that turned what could have been touchdown drives into field goals, uh, but really just the offense looked very similar to how it looked in the second half against Jamie. You just could not get any kind of rhythm or momentum. I thought we ran the ball pretty well, at least in the first half on early downs. But anytime we were able to use that to get a first down, we would go to the passing game and it'd be a pretty quick, uh, three and out from that point. But. Auburn's definitely got it together and came out of the second half firing. But I think the injuries that we saw on the defensive side of the ball, like a Amorie Morrison was out, Jahron Manning is out. Add that to the long list of guys who are already out and you had a pretty thin defense that was on the field a lot in the first part of that game.
Aaron: Yeah, I think that's great context, Gary. Um, some folks that don't follow the team as closely as we do may not be aware of that. I mean, you're of course, Jason has been out pretty much the entire season. No, one of our starting cornerbacks was out last game. Of course, J man, like you're talking about out, you know, it's it's really hard, especially at this point in the season. You know, everybody is nicked up. Every team has injuries, but Our defensive coaches, I think, have done a really good job of trying to hold hold that unit together with what they've got. And those guys that are out there battling, um, you know, obviously you've got some of the same issues on the offensive side, but not nearly to to the degree. One guy I want to really shout out is Pat Conroy. I mean, he literally has been the only tight end that we have all season. If you watch, if you watch the games closely, He basically never comes out of the game unless he comes out for a play because he has to because of getting nicked up and he's right back in. Um, the guys are pulling him off off of the ground routinely and he just keeps, you know, being a dude, but whatever factory that guy was manufactured in, I would love five more of him. Uh, hats off to that
Jarod: dude. Pretty big part of the offense too. It's not like he's just in there just blocking every time. I mean, he's, He's doing the, the, a lot of the pre snap motion. He's, he's getting outside blocking, he's blocking up the inside. He's getting those little, like I said a little bit ago, RPOs where he's going across the middle or going up the middle. And I mean, he's getting the ball a lot. I mean, he is a huge part of the offense and he's been killing it.
Aaron: We had, what was it? That three play sequence where he kind of went in motion to the right side. It took a pass. The next play was the same play, just flipped to the. to the left side. And then I think the third one was the same same play again. We didn't have going to him, but that dude is getting worked.
Jonathan: Yeah, he's getting the ball. And I will say I had the pleasure of meeting his parents at the J. M. U. Game. Uh, quite lovely people. And as you guys were saying, he's, uh, he's a workhorse, you know, huge part of what, you know, success or driving success on the offensive side of the ball. But, you know, the, I will say, you know, exiting that that first half, um, Again, record is, is what it is. See, that's not what we want, but, uh, you know, this team, we have a good football team, man, like our record sucks. We don't, we don't do the little things when we need to sometimes, sometimes we do, uh, but like we have a good football team. So heading into the half, you know, down 17, seven offenses, not quite clicking yet, like, yeah, we had, we scored obviously, but, uh, you know, as they headed into the locker room, I'm like, all right, like we've got a game on our hand boys, like. We know this team's going to fight, uh, again, are we going to do the little things and when, or are we going to fight, have another one score game and lose? Uh, you know, we all know how that, that turned out, but yeah, I, you know, going into the second half, I was like, okay, like get your popcorn ready. Like we're going to have a ball game here. And certainly turned out that way. It didn't turn out the way we wanted it, but, uh, I I'd say, you know, outside of tech, right. We're we're in the games every, every single week we're fighting, we're competing, like We're playing good football, entertaining football, you know, uh, as a fan or as, you know, former player, like you can appreciate that again, like I want to win, but like, again, same thing with Marshall. It's like, Hey, we're in this game. Like we're going to do something. We're going to make moves like we're going to push and fight. And they certainly did that. But like I said, didn't get the result we wanted.
Gary: I mean, you can criticize a lot of things about this team in this program over the last few years, but they have not once quit in the ball game
Jarod: ever.
Gary: And that is not the same for a lot of programs across the board. You go watch some action and some of those two win teams and three win teams. And they're having to start all true freshmen. Cause the other guys are like, nah, my ankle is banged up. No, my, my wrist has a bruise on it. I'm not going to play. You got Pat Conroy out there making contact on every play. I think the guy's a cyborg at this point, every joint is fricking taped. So, you know, if you're going to go back to one real positive thing is these guys didn't quit. I don't expect to see any quit out of them when they go to Arkansas state. But man, it's, uh, it's tough to get this close. Like, I, it brings up that old question. Like, would you rather just get blown out if you're going to lose seven games? So that way you can kind of make peace with it and move forward. Or do you want to be in all these one score games that go down to the wire each and every week? It's which, which knife do you want?
Aaron: You know, I see stuff like that online. People ask that question. You hear a lot of people go, I'd rather just, you know, lose them all and be put out of my misery. But I don't know, maybe just me. But. I mean, I think that's freaking crazy, you know, if you're not if you're not if you're a fan of the team I mean if you're a fan of the team, you know, you want your team to to do well and maybe i'm just used to You know, i'm a commander's fan. So maybe i'm just used to paying, you know over not years but decades This weekend was no exception to the rule Talk about the you know You go from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs to the lowest of lows to the highest of highs to the lowest of lows And then you get stuck on the lowest of lows because you lose the game. Um, and that's kind of how this, I mean, that's kind of how this game was. You guys were saying, I mean, 17 to seven at the half. Next thing you know, you're winning 21 20, you know, and that's kind of been the tail of the tape for this team all year. Like Gary, you're saying, man, they never quit. They just gotta don't go home, stick around. And it was that way, like all the way until what? About four minutes left in the game. It's 35, 35.
Gary: Yeah, I mean, they fought through and through and I mean, that's kind of a critical point. We come out of the, I come out of halftime and unlike last week, the offense adjusted really well and I thought did a good job of attacking what Marshall had up front and kind of had them scrambling a couple of times, kind of trapped him on the field by by not subbing and getting the looks that we wanted. We go up 21 20, defense comes out, forces a punt, and then it's those mistakes that pop up again. I mean, if there's anyone on the team I'd want back there catching that punt, it's Isaiah Paige. Like, and it's every day of the week.
Jarod: Yeah, twice on sunday. I mean about there tomorrow. Yeah, I put him out there right now. You can't have a better guy Catching the punts. It's what it's a mistake like it happens The punt actually if you if you watch it the punt was more of a line drive than normal And they got to him fairly quickly and he had to move so he's moving forward. The guys were still there It was a bit of a line drive. So the pump was coming in more And I got the blurry screen on it was coming in more here than it was coming in here You Which a lot of times, if he's down here catching the ball like this, it drops right into the basket if he's catching it like this and it's coming at him a little bit more of an angle, it just caught him in the chest a little bit before he, before he was ready for it too. It's just a tiny little thing. It's so small and it just makes a huge difference in the game. And like it happens. We all make mistakes. We all mess up, especially in this sport. The sport is, it's incredibly hard and it's just so unlucky that it has to be that situation, that times, the one time that that happens to him, the guy is so good, I would never take him out of that position. I think he's, he's probably one of the best, maybe the best we've ever had as a part returner anyways. So,
Gary: yeah. And I'm sure no one's tougher on himself than Isaiah page. Like I know he's kicking himself over that. And JMU last week. as it was tough. But I mean, that's a that's a big turning point in the game. I mean, we get the ball there. We have the opportunity to go potentially up by eight and kind of get some some distance. But instead, Marshall, just one play later goes and scores a touchdown. And you could tell that quick and sudden change kind of through the defense off a little bit there.
Aaron: So now I'm gonna ask you guys a question that I asked Ricky in the post game. I don't know if you got a chance to watch the presser, but I opened up by asking about punting the ball away. Um, there at the end in the second half, we really hadn't been able to slow down Marshall's offense. We talked a little bit about it, you know, over the last 10 minutes or so with regards to how bad it was. beat up the defenses and just kind of how things were going. I asked if he was conflicted on whether to punt the ball or to go for it there. And he said it was a valid question. And then, you know, ultimately he, you know, made the choice with how many timeouts he had left and the opportunity to get the ball back where they were. We're kicking, you know, anyways, they probably would have got a quick field goal if we had held him. So if you guys, uh, because it's This is our podcast and, uh, curious what your opinions are, even though it doesn't really matter what our opinions are, because none of us are coaches. Uh, what would you guys have done during that situation? And why start with Jarod? You would, because we'll give the puncher a moment to think about it. You're just,
Jarod: let's go.
Aaron: It's
Jarod: like, let me pop whatever. Personally, I felt like we hadn't stopped them with any consistency in the game and I would have gone for it, but also we played for Bobby Wilder that man. He would have gone for anything, you know, so I guess being a part of that type of team where it just yeah, we're going to go for it in almost any situation. That's that's a little bit, you know, here or there. Uh, in my mind, it's like, Oh yeah, well, we would have gone for it. So, so I'd go for it, but I do understand the hesitancy when we are as far back as we are, because he's right. It, we had what six yards ago or four yards ago, something like that. I can't remember exactly what it was. Uh, if we don't get that, they kick a field goal and the game's over, it's done. You know, there's no chance. So our defense being as good as it is beat up or not in a crucial last drive of the game. Do you want to go on one play or do you want to go on? I know my defense can stop them. I know that they can, even though they haven't done it, it makes sense. And I think a lot of head coaches, college NFL, I would say the, the overwhelming majority of head coaches in the college and the NFL would have pumped the ball there. That was
Aaron: fourth. Yeah, it was fourth and five. Fourth and final. Okay. So Right, right in the middle. And you know, I think the, I mean, as a coach, I, I'm sure Ricky is thinking, you know, he knows what his defense is. Exactly. You're gonna thinking what my defense is and what they're capable of. Maybe not necessarily in that moment thinking exactly how beat up they are. Or does the defense Seiler had at that moment? Is it his defense at full strength? Or is it one that's completely worn out? But before I, before I talk too much about this, I don't want, uh, Jonathan's good ideas to escape that noggin. So
Jonathan: what you got man? They run out real quick. Uh, you know, sometimes I have to write them down. Um, you know, the punter in me always, you know, well, first off as a punter, you never want to punt. But obviously, if you get in that situation, fourth and five liar, Hey, I was happy when Taylor was 23 times my senior year, like we won games, right? Um, you know, football's team game, right? Uh, but as a punter, you never want to get in a fourth down situation, but as a punter, if you're in that fourth down situation, it's critical. Like you can really influence the game. You want to have an opportunity to help your team, right? So you go out there, okay, coach makes the call, which, you know, I'll, I'll talk about that, but like, do you want to go out there and you want to put your team in as good a position as you can, again, whether that's kicking away from returner. pinning them deep, flipping the field like you want to go out there and compete, right? But I do agree with the call. Um, you know, there's the data, the analytics, right? I'm sure we could get, uh, ask chat GPT what the, uh, you know, data says on going forward on 4th and five with three minutes left. But, um, you know, you have time outs. Sure, the defense is gassed, they're hurt. Uh, but they're competitors and hey, do you want to put the game on one play as Jarod was talking about? Or do you want to try to flip the field, stack the box, play man coverage, sell out, make them get a couple of first downs to beat you? Like again, like if he had gone for it, they were in field goal range. They could have just ran the ball a couple of times and definitely put the game out of reach. Whereas if you punt it away, try to flip the field, you have to make them beat you. And again, I mean, they were ahead, but like. They have to perform to seal the game. Whereas if they have one play, they're going to seal the game, kick a field goal, and you know, that that's all she wrote. That's, uh, I definitely agree with the call again. You know, there's all the data and analytics and opinion and yeah, Bobby Wilder would have went for that, you know, 12 out of 10 times, but, uh, you know, with the coaching staff, you know, coach Rahne, just how he approaches the game, I do agree with the call. Uh, you know, obviously it didn't work out the way we wanted it, but, uh, you know, I'm definitely in the same campus and
Gary: it's a tough call because I don't think that there is like a good decision that you're having to make there. Like, either way, you're kind of putting yourself in a bad spot. It's like, uh. I think I've said it before on here. It's like playing blackjack. You have 16, the dealer's showing a 10. Like you're probably going to lose that hand no matter what. The smart move is to take one more card because it gives you the most options to win. If you sit there at 16, you're almost guaranteed that you're, you're going to lose on that. So you're north of the, the two minute timeout. I think we're like, we punted it like 245. You've got all three timeouts plus the two minute. You're on your own 30. You all are right. Okay. Or you want to put it all on getting more than five yards on one play after we Colton just got stuffed on a run on second down, we had a pass nearly get intercepted on third down, trying to throw a short route to get that first down. Like Marshall had been pretty good defending the middle of the field and we had been pretty bad about reading receivers in the field. So, I think you go back to what's my best unit, what's been my go to unit all year and how's my punter been today? Well, Seamus had been great. He booms the ball down to the 11. In your head, you're thinking, all right, even if they get one first down, we can still make a stop, call the timeouts and get the ball back. And we ultimately did. They're just, they got one more first down than they needed. So I, I would have punted away there too, because I'll take my chances punting the ball down the field, pinning them inside the 20 and letting my defense go eat, uh, then trying to have some sort of weird creative offensive play on my own 30 that will make it a two score game, even if they don't get a yard.
Aaron: Yeah. I think what do we, we had two timeouts, I think at that point, plus the two minute timeout. It's either two or three. Plenty of time. Yeah, and the ball stopping, you know, on first downs under. We had all three timeouts left. So, yeah, I mean, I totally get it. Uh, you know, we could debate it and that's what's fun talking about it. Um, and, you know, if you're a monarch fan, nobody's right or nobody's wrong in the situation. I mean, There's lots of coaches that would go for it or not go for it at that moment. It just happened to not work out for us. Unfortunately, um, the, the other one, go ahead, go ahead.
Gary: Well, the other factor to kind of throw in that situation is Deontay vines has kind of been our third down guy and our late game guy. Like he is the one that had all the catches on that last drive against JMU to kind of give us a chance at the onsite kick been there a lot for us late in games, like Georgia state, other places like that, and he had been injured and was on the sideline with his foot in the booth. So now you've lost, like, one of your two true receiving weapons and they were put in a bracket on Conroy. So, you know, you start looking at what you have offensively, too, of like, what's your move, who are you going to, who's going to be your guy? And I think there are more options on defense than offense, even still at that point.
Jarod: Yeah, I still thought it was the right call, just,
Gary: you
Jarod: know, I may have gone for it because I'd be crazy, but that's, you know. Well, if you guys did
Aaron: used to go for it, like, you know, fourth down on your 29 yard line on the road at UVA while we're winning with lots of time in the second half. I mean, nothing was safe, right? Yeah. With, with that guy, he was crazy. He's like, fuck it. We're onside kicking it again. You're like, we just did on the last one. We, we, we, well, we got the last one. Didn't actually happen. That
Jarod: that's a real true story. That happens. You gotta get it on film
Aaron: somehow,
Jarod: right?
Aaron: Yeah.
Jarod: If one's good, two must be better. It was nuts, but hey, you know, That's another episode that, It worked in the FCS, believe it
Aaron: or not. All right. So, hey, since we have you guys on here, I'm gonna ask another question. Uh, it also has to do with the kicking game. But let's just talk special teams in general. Special teams was an area where we struggled in this game. Ricky talked about it. Um, we've been the special teams play over the course of the season is usually been, you know, from my perspective, it's been pretty good all season. You guys might have a different opinion, but on Saturday. It was not, um, overall, at least when we needed it. But my question is more tailored to kickoffs. So we struggled when it came to kickoffs this past week, whether we were kind of doing a higher, shorter kickoff or we were doing a more traditional kickoff. It seemed like no matter what we did, things weren't going well for us in the kick. Kick off a part of the game. At what point do you realize that it's just not your game? And we're not going to give these guys a chance to return the ball at all We're just going to kick it out of the back of the end zone or into the end zone Or if we kick in the end zone and they want to return it so forth But am I completely off base here? And if I am please tell me so as you guys are watching this game What are you thinking? I'll let you go first jerry.
Jarod: I think you get to start with this one and i'll You I'll come in. We did that. Yeah.
Jonathan: Yeah. It's um, so contrary to popular belief, uh, kickers and punters to watch film, there's a lot of film study that goes into special teams. Uh, you know, not necessarily from like a kicking and punting, but from a scheme, right? Like, What do they do? Well, are they like a return right? Are they wall or the man like onsite kicks? Like, are they open to that? Like you typically will cater your coverage or kickoff team to what the team does not do well. So obviously Marshall had what, 118 return yards on kicks. Um, so obviously yeah, three, three kick returns that really hurt us. So obviously they saw something on film and they exploited it. Um, you know, again, why it happened, nobody knows. Uh, but that's kind of like Marshall saw something and they executed on it. And then to your point, changing it up again, whether it's kicking it out of the end zone, if we can, like, or sky kicks squibs, like, you know, one time. Okay. That's just kind of a freak occurrence. Cause you have 11 guys, 10 guys running down the field, full speed, depending on if the play, you know, kicks placed in the right spot. Mike. There's so many different variables and it happens so quickly, like someone can just squirt out, uh, but for it to happen multiple times again, nobody knows the answer why. But to your point, Aaron, uh, how do we avoid that? Whether it's just blasting and out of the back, you know, send a squibber down the middle of the field, you know, tuck them in the corner with the sky kick. Like again, it's, uh, I mean, football is a chess game, right? You have all offensive defense, same with special teams. You see something, they did something. Do you adjust in time or do they keep exploiting it? You know, like I said, I'm not going to talk like I know what happened or whatnot, but, uh, you would hope that we would adjust to prevent that, but it just didn't happen again. That's not anything saying the coaches didn't adjust. Like Marshall made a play, uh, again, maybe someone ran down the wrong lane, but for it to happen three times, like. That really hurt us. That really changed the game. Uh, you know, it was unfortunate to see, but, uh, yeah, it's, it was definitely a tough one, especially as a special teams guy.
Jarod: Yeah. So I, I don't even, I don't even know where to start with this one. I felt. a little frustrated the whole time as those things were happening. Um, but the one thing I know I can say is that we don't know how much they practice a popover, a sky kick as Blisco called it the same thing. We did it once in the game. Uh, it wasn't perfectly executed, but it worked. We made them call the fair catch and that's exactly what you want. Uh, it was a little shorter than I think the coaches probably wanted. I think that I have a reason why that's the case, but. That's, you know, that's not for me to say. Really. Um, I do feel like if they practice that a lot, then they may have just kept, they should have kept going with it. Uh, they didn't keep going with it. The next time they lined up that way. Uh, I think it was in the, in the fourth quarter, they lined up a little different. They lined up to where their, their returner, where we had been kicking into on the right side was 20 yards up. He's standing on the 20 yard line because if we do the pop over, then they want to get him the ball and not call the fair catch. So then Ethan Chang kicked it over his head, put it right on like the two yard line. I think it bounced into the end zone and it worked. Um, I feel like Pusko said, we don't really know. What they said, we don't know what adjustments they made. Uh, I guarantee you that that one popover was on purpose. We know for a fact that was on purpose. Right. Ricky Rahne said it right. He said in the, in the, your post comp or post game press conference that we tried some different kickoffs. Uh, so they did it, they made a change, and then the next time they kicked the ball to the guy, he just does the same thing. I, you know, I feel like I would've maybe just kept with a, with the pop over, but like I said, it wasn't executed perfectly. I don't know how much they practice it. Maybe they felt, uh, you know what, we don't wanna do that again. Because what if they do line the guy up a little bit closer and he gets the ball and he gets the ball on the 30 yard line versus getting the ball all the way on the, on the five, uh, or whatever. So it's really tough because people in the stands are losing their minds. And they're saying this and that, and the other thing about, you know, what they should be doing and what they don't really understand is let's go set it. Every team's making adjustments and they're going to make their adjustments and we have to counter with ours. And it's really tough on a kickoff. If you haven't. Practice a specific thing that you didn't know you needed to do because in the film study that we've done, this team doesn't really do this. Maybe they don't reverse the field a ton. I don't know. I haven't watched their film, but maybe they don't reverse the field. So that's why we kicked it. I think this game, I noticed we were kicking from the right hash kicking to the right. I don't think we do that every time. I think a lot of times we're in the middle, we're on the left hash kicking to the left. I think it was on purpose, right? So we went from the right hash to the right side of the field, trying to pin them in the corner because maybe that's where they struggled. And they realized, okay, well, they're probably going to do this and they cut it across the field, knowing that if our guys are going this way, then they can go across that and they can beat us. So, so many things go into it. Uh, and it's really tough to say, you know, what could have changed and when you should have changed it because we obviously saw them make a change. They did it and they tried to change the other things and it just didn't work out. So, yeah, I was frustrated during the game, of course, because I always want the kickoffs to just like, it was my favorite thing in the world to just kick it in the back of the end zone, like, just kick it as hard as you can't put in the back of the end zone. And that's great. But there are certain situations where you need to do something different. And, uh, yeah, this one didn't work out for us very well. But, you know, I do understand the better. The answer that that he gave in the post game press conference that we tried different things. They did a really good job. It didn't really work out for us. It's
Gary: one of those areas you probably don't expect to become a problem for you because it has not been a problem really all season. I think I think coach Rahne said they hadn't allowed one out beyond the 30 all season long. So you're, you're kind of adding that to like, all right, this is a new problem. Or is, was that just a blip on the radar? You're, you're seeing new things in the last game or last home game of the season that you probably weren't expecting, but you were right about, uh, it, they must've been preparing to reverse fields because the first time they did it, the blocks were so well set up, like they were letting free rushers come down that right sideline and just letting them run past the ball. Cause they knew they were going to the other side, to the Marshall sideline and out. So,
Jonathan: yeah, I think on that, on that point of, uh, you know, it's like, okay, the entire year, nobody's out past the 30. But they have all that film. They have all, I mean, you, I don't think people appreciate the amount of people, the amount of hours, every single game, every aspect of the game that is dissected. Sure. Offense defense, the special teams gets if pretty much the same treatment as far as what do they do consistently? What do they do? Well, who does what, how do they do it? How can we exploit that? So if all year we're running the same, you know, kicking it from the middle Middle of the field to the left. Okay. We switched to the right, but we know that again, maybe our guy hooks in at the 25 yard line. So he's susceptible. If you can get an outside leverage block, you can pop that corner. So it's like, again, it's the chess match of what are they doing? What do they consistently do? What can we expect? How do we exploit it? And again, Marshall exploited it. We tried different things to counter that, but they just kept executing on, especially the kick return side of the thing of, of things. Uh, they just. kept hitting us, you know, three big returns that really hurt us in the game.
Jarod: Yeah. I don't think that there was as much of. Mistakes from us on kickoff as everyone thinks there were. I think they just beat us on kickoff. They just, they did the game plan did a little better or they game plan something that we just didn't expect because like we said, nobody's done it to us before. And yeah, they just beat us. They, they had a good scheme and that's just how it goes. And it's really tough for that to happen as a fan that you're sitting in the stands watching, you're like, what the hell are our guys doing wrong? They're screwing up. They're doing this. They're doing that.
Gary: In reality,
Jarod: they could be doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing. And somebody just did it better and counteracted it perfectly. And if they do that. I mean, what are you supposed to do about it in the moment you try to make changes? Sometimes it doesn't work. It was a tough one. I think it's a special teams this week.
Aaron: I appreciate that that perspective from both you guys. And that's why I asked the question because I'm one of those knucklehead fans in the stands. So to get the viewpoint from two guys that did it a super high level. To share with, you know, a lot of folks are probably like, like me, um, who's not as strong from a technical standpoint of the game, I think, you know, it's helpful there to, to have some good perspective there. Um, I know we've, you have focused on a lot of the opportunities, um, that the team has, I could have, you know, things could have done better. Uh, one thing that I did see on social media, that some people that giving a hard time was talking about our offensive line play. But I think those guys played pretty well in this game And one dude that we talked about like a lot last week in previewing marshall was mike green Gary, you talked a lot about that guy how dominant he's been all season what he had 15 sacks come into the game. I think
Gary: it was either 15 or 16. I mean, yeah.
Aaron: And how many does he have now?
Gary: Whatever he walked in the door with on Saturday is what he left with.
Aaron: Yeah. He got five, five, five tackles, I think three solos. So Marshall was trying lots of things with that dude. And no matter where they line them up, our offensive line did a pretty good job of keeping him in check.
Gary: And it's not like we just doubled him and let other guys run wild. Like, Marshall only had one sack for the game, so they were doing a pretty good job at pass protection. And I thought we schemed pretty well to get the ball out quickly to almost use their rush against them. Um, I hate to tell you that the one person that got a sack in that game was D. B. Harris. Uh, if that name sounds familiar to anyone who is out there. Yes, uh, he also had a pretty big tackle, uh, on Colton Joseph on that final drive where we punted. And that's the one we were talking about, held Colton to one yard with a hell of a tackle there too. So, um, yeah, it's,
Jarod: yeah, I, I had to go back and look at the stats just now, but I am surprised that people said that this week. Uh, we had 500 over 500 yards of total offense. We had 286 rushing yards and if anyone isn't clear, that doesn't happen without the offensive line. That's, that's not just Colton making plays. Colton does make plays. There is no doubt about it, but Colton has one guy to beat for a reason. The offensive line is blocking everyone they're supposed to be blocking and the plays are designed for Colton to have one guy to beat. You know, Aaron is getting outside and running somebody over, but he's running somebody over in the back, in the, in the linebackers or the defensive backs, he's not having to run over a defensive lineman because the offensive line is blocking the offensive line had a good game. There's, I, I'm, I'm surprised to hear that actually, that people were, were really upset about them. I mean, it was, uh, we scored 35 points. It's not like they beat us 42 to seven. You know, I
Aaron: think it's one of those things that, you know, folks, Hey, we've got a really passionate fan base. I mean, no different than this, this whole podcast, all this stuff that we do. We're fans who were craving this kind of thing. We just happen to start it, but fans are sharp for fanatics and you know, sometimes when you're in the heat of the moment or you're really disappointed because you want your team, you want your team to do well, let's face it. We all remember. The teams that you guys were on and the success that those teams had and it's difficult as, you know, a fan that you remember all that stuff and you want it. We want it now and we haven't had it in a while. So I think it's very easy for for people to talk emotionally about certain things and. Kind of make statements sometimes that aren't completely factually true because we've no different than being a commander's fans. Hey, guys, you know, uh, we, we want our team to win. We just haven't seen it in quite some time.
Gary: I mean, Aaron young had 6. 2 yards per carry. That was also our team average. If you include the sack yardage that's lost. So, the offensive line was definitely doing some pretty good work up front against a front 7 for Marshall. That's really good. Like they're probably going to have two or three all Sunbelt guys out of there, just defensive line and linebacker core. Uh, and it, we have lost some guys in the offensive line this year. Like we've got guys starting now that we're not starting at the beginning of the season and they have, I think, come together pretty well the last couple of weeks to, along with the scheming being right. But yeah, they're pretty low on my list of things to complain about for that game.
Jarod: Yeah. I mean, if you, if you really wanted to complain, like there was a few plays where Golden didn't have a ton of time, but. I keep going back to the same idea that the other 120 guys that play for Marshall, just like we said about JMU, just like we said about App State, they're doing the exact same things we are. They're preparing the exact same way. And at some point you're going to get beat, whether it's one play or whether it's the whole game, at some point the other guy's going to do his job. And they did their job sometimes and they got by us sometimes. But our offensive line had a good game. I, it's just, it's just, it's, it's hard. It's a hard game to play. I,
Jonathan: I would say they're probably the most improved unit on the year. Like
Jarod: definitely.
Jonathan: And, and, you know, made the point of injuries guys in and out, you know, whether they're shifting positions, like, and they played some dogs, like, you know, the, the South Carolina DN, right. That guy was a freak. Uh, they played some really solid front, you know, front lines and I think they've just gotten better and better as the years progressed, whether it's the same guys, whether it's not like that's a new, you know, a whole nother dynamic. Uh, and it was really, yeah, I think the last, like we've had a lot of offense, like we've been scoring, we've been moving the ball again, there's a lot of things that go into that, but like it starts with the offensive line. And, you know, the consistency and the efforts there, they, they had a hell of a game. Sure. What was it? One sack? Like, one sack. That's
Gary: it.
Jonathan: Like, that's a hell of a game. And 200 and yeah, what is it? 86 yards rushing.
Aaron: Yeah.
Jonathan: That's, that's a great game by the offensive line. I
Aaron: mean, we won time in possession. was 34 minutes to 26 minutes. We held them to four of 12 on third downs. We had only three penalties for 20 yards. We did a lot of things right. Yeah, we only have just a close game.
Jarod: They should have had seven more just like the JMU game that they didn't get called for. I don't know how, but oh, hold on. I got another one.
Aaron: Now that you say that, yeah. I don't have a great memory. I'm like Gary or I'm sorry, Jonathan. See, I don't even remember that of writing things down. Let's go to the punting game. Am I or my eyes failing me? Was I did I have a bad like perspective on the game? First question, did Seamus get hit on that one punt? And if he did get hit, um, could there be a flag regardless of whether it's a simple, he just barely got hit, it's five yards or something egregious, that would be 15 yards. What did I miss on that play?
Jonathan: So I will say I did not see the contact in question however, uh, because, because you had a bad angle or because
Aaron: you were Yeah. Yeah. You were getting another one in the beer garden.
. Jonathan: Uh, I plead the fifth. Um, so that's an interesting question. It depends by crew. By again, I'm gonna say the feeling of the game, like. It is so it should be very clear. If you get knocked down, it's at least a five yard. If they again, I don't know the official verbiage of the personal foul, but like if they come into your space in a way that can injure you, it should be 15 yards. So at a minimum, it should be five yards if they make contact with you and you know, whether as you hit the ball or as you're getting the ball away, like But it's so there's so much variability. I mean, in all levels of football, it blows my mind again. It's a, it's an application. It's a, it's a, how does the ref see it? And then how does he apply it within the framework of the rules? Um, but based upon your reaction again, like I said, I didn't see the contact. It should have at least been running into the kicker. Now, as a punter, as a kicker, you sell that. Right. Anybody touches you like down you go, that's what you do for the team. You know, you're not some big tough guy. Like if you're a protected individual and someone cracks you, you're going to fall over. Um, but like I said, it's, I've seen it applied and I've had it applied so much. Like. Inconsistently, you know, whether it's, uh, CAA refs or Mountain West or all these, like, it's so wide in its application, it's frustrating. Like, I remember I got flipped on a punt that went 55 yards. Uh, and the ref said it was tipped and I got up and stared at them. Then I looked down the field and I was like, how was that ball tipped? It's 55 yards down the field. I didn't use that exact language. You know, I'm trying to keep it PG here. Uh, but yeah, like it's, I don't know if they can do anything to make it more cut and dry, but again, based upon your reaction and how you interpreted that, it definitely should have been a penalty.
Jarod: Yeah. So I saw it happen. I stood up and lost my shit for a little bit. Uh, as I sat down after it all happened, they didn't call it whatever. Uh, I, I thought about it a few times and said, okay, I do know that the rule this could just be in the NFL, but I don't think it is. The rule for roughing is they have to hit your plant leg. So you're non kicking foot because that's where if they take you out. As you're up in the air, they take you out. You could tear something. You could break something pretty easily, right? If they hit your non, your non kicking foot, your plant leg. So they didn't do that. They hit them. There was no doubt about it. There was no doubt in my mind. They hit them. They knocked him over. We were also, I think, 16 yards away from her first down. It would have just, it should have been running into the kicker. That, that call should have been running into the kicker because the pressure, he kind of hit a shitty punt. He didn't go very far. I guarantee you we would have re kicked it, had a better punt, and been able to, to get down the field and cover it a little bit better, uh, but that should have been running into the kicker. There's, that's, there's no doubt about it. Like it's just ridiculous. That, like, like Coach said in the, in the post, uh, match press conference or post game, whatever you want to call it, uh, who the hell knows what that rule is then? Because that's craziness. There's it doesn't matter to me if it wasn't roughing it was running into the kicker. You have to throw it should be Yeah, you can't you can't just sit there and let the guy get hit He is in the middle of punting a ball with his whole body unprotected in the air and you run into him It's a penalty. You can't do it. And I know that they would have called it on us And I don't know why the hell that is It makes no
Jonathan: pressure, Jarod.
Jarod: Oh, sorry. I was thinking soccer, you know, still, still do the soccer thing all the time I post match,
Jonathan: but, you know, to that point, like, was the guy contacted? Like, did. He mean to hit him. Like there's all those variables that, like What do you mean? Did he mean, oh bro, he hit him. To hit him.
Jarod: I know you didn't see it. I, dude, he ran straight into his shoulders. Like he like me not meaning to be late for work, like it was, I'm still late for work, . That's true too. I mean, if you don't mean to hit him, who the hell cares? You still, that's why it's called running into it, not roughing. Yeah, like running into the kicker means you literally just ran into him. It doesn't mean you hit the shit out of him. You just can't do it because. Like the guy is going to get injured. Eventually somebody is going to fall weird and get injured because you hit him when he was up in the air, trying to kick the ball, trying to pump the bell.
Aaron: It's over. So I guess it doesn't matter.
Gary: And I know that that one, I guarantee you that one got clipped and sent to the office of saying like, Hey, how is it not roughing? Cause you can actually see on the replay. He does hit his shoulder a little bit, but his main contact is actually the kicking leg while the plant leg is still in the air. So that's why he got spun around so badly. Exactly. So, like, maybe it looked like he was selling it, but in reality, he had no point of his body touching the ground. Yeah. And a dude came along the side and hit him.
Aaron: Yeah. We can always count on Gary. Coming to drop some knowledge on us.
Gary: I was mad. I was watching that. I was trying to find that play on my phone at Delvecchio's after the game. Like, I was standing in line, like, just looking at my phone. I'd have a hard time finding that too.
Aaron: I couldn't concentrate, because all I'd be thinking about is getting a hot slice. Delvecchio's
Jarod: pizza, baby. Shout out Delvecchio's. It is. Yeah, oh get them as a sponsor on here because that is the best damn pizza there is good lord
Aaron: If anybody at delvecchia is who actually has any decision making authority is hearing this there's dudes right here Ready to rip your pizza
Jarod: Look, it's a it's been a bit of a tradition now probably the past four years unless something like this weekend When the game didn't end till almost midnight Right. We, the two of us, both of our wives, if my kids are there, they come with us. And then whoever's there with us in the games, if it's any of the old guys, if it's some of our friends, whatever, we always go to Delvex after the games always.
Gary: Yeah. It, it brought me back because I was staying at the Spring Hill suites again. So it was like, I was back in a dorm and I'm, After a football game and I'm in line, I go get my Delvex. I go to my little room, I eat way too much pizza and then pass out on the couch of the TV on like, nice, just like old times. My holes. Yes.
Jonathan: I'm jealous, Gary.
Aaron: I am too. Cause I came home and had some nasty, cold little Caesars waiting for me. I'm not cool. I'm
Gary: stewing while I'm eating my hot and fresh Delvex and garlic knots.
Aaron: I guess the lesson learned is just stay in a hotel and don't come home. There you go.
Jarod: Probably a better idea. Yes.
Aaron: Okay. Uh, we, we do have a couple of fan calls. Um, and we pride ourselves on playing those things. So I, Gary, I think we should probably should, we could talk about them a little bit. I mean, we've, we've talked about the, a lot of the game. I don't know how much we're going to want to preview a state. We'll let you lead that discussion, Gary. If, uh, yeah. If you got a bunch.
Gary: Yeah. Well, maybe before we go to that, I do want to say that Marshall is a really good football team and they played a damn good football game. We made mistakes. We shot ourselves in the foot, but we were playing a really good football team over there. And Aaron, you asked me last week, who am I more scared of? AJ Turner or Braylon Braxton. And as fast as you finished that sentence, I said Braylon Braxton. And I think we all saw why on Saturday, I mean, 13 for 24, 210 yards, three touchdowns, no picks. We're I had a long of 51 then on the ground. He had 18 carries for 148. Uh, he was an absolute stud in running that offense for Marshall. Uh, he looked really good in the pocket. He made smart throws, make good decisions to tuck and run through guys open. Uh, he's got one more year of eligibility, um, unfortunately, but he is definitely the answer for Marshall at quarterback. Uh, they play good up and down. Their O line was great. Uh, held us, I think to just one sack and only two tackles for a loss. Uh, A. J. Turner was good. Don't get me wrong. I think he was a bit limited though with an injury, um, but he looked good when he was in there. But man, Braylon Braxton, what an absolute stud to have on that Marshall team. So kudos to Marshall, uh, interacted with a bunch of their fans. They have a really, really good fan base. Uh, appreciate the beers from Russ and I think it's Thundercast podcast out there. Uh, coming by the tailgate and all of that. So kudos to Marshall. It was not all just us messing that game up, but yeah. All right. Now I'm done saying nice things about Marshall,
Aaron: but they were well deserved. All right. Let's, uh, let's go to these two calls and, uh, we'll, we'll play. I'll play you the first one. We can react and then we'll play the second one, and then we'll get to A State. Hey guys, Justice here. Uh, another disappointing, uh, week, and what's been a, uh, a disappointing season, I guess. Just a, another, another week of missed opportunities, and a season of missed opportunities. Um, been a little dejected today. Uh, and the one thing I come back to, um, I feel like it's kind of been, The, the mantra, or my mantra, I guess, for the Ricky Rahne, um, career so far is scared money don't make money and I feel far too often, uh, the way we coach games is scared money, so. On a positive note, uh, we don't have to worry about, uh, blowing a 28 0 lead in a bowl game this year. So we don't have to go through that, uh, that dejection. As always, go Monarchs and hopefully we can get a win next week against Arkansas State and on a high note. All right, fellows, any thoughts on justices call?
Jonathan: Yeah, I, uh, I can commiserate with the vibes, right? The funeral vibes. Um, you know, here we go again. Uh, she knows Gary's Marshall's a damn good football team and we played. Yeah. Like you can argue we should have won the game. Um, and I probably sound like a broken record, but like we played well, we didn't play well enough to win, but like. We played a damn good football team, and we played a damn good game, and we lost in the end, which, like I said, I can commiserate with the vibes, but Yeah, it's, uh, tough to watch, but also, we didn't get blown out, so, there's something to take away. Alright, any thoughts before we move to the next one?
Aaron: And, uh, I have checked on Justice, he is doing alright, uh, just for the fans out there that are listening and might have concern. Uh, that dude is at every game, uh, he bleeds blue, he loves ODU and wants the best.
Gary: He was all of us Saturday night, he was all of us.
Aaron: Yeah, yeah. Another guy. Who bleeds blue is the Duke of Discipline. Uh, sorry, Jarod, that that is covering your face. There you go. I'm warning Monarch Nation before I play this call. It is a little long. Uh, Garrick is one of our fans. So he's another guy who really cares a lot and is committed a lot. So I think we owned to play the whole call in this entirety. And then we will discuss it after. Well, I was decided after Turkey Bowl through my own horn over here. Two passing touchdowns, one catching touchdown. That was probably a highlight of the day anyway. Um, and walking out to get the job done. Uh, that I should go down for the game. Uh, time was 4. 45 in the afternoon. Got in the car, drove down to Norfolk, walked into the stadium with 6. 47 left in the first quarter. Why did I do this? Uh, because I love this school. I love this program and these seniors have ga uh, given everything for this school and I felt like a hypocrite not being there. Uh, I'm a massive Isaiah Page fan. As a preferred walk on myself, didn't fall through on it. Um, and, uh, Uh, I have a respect for the guys like that, and that guy's an absolute dog. Uh, given my dedication as an alumnus, as a donor and a fan, uh, my frustration and hurt is that a, an all time high for this program. Maybe if I didn't go and do a nine hour round trip from Nova, I'd feel different, but that shows just how much I care. And, uh, I'm one of thousands who do, uh, this isn't about me. This is all about. All of us, uh, who have dealt with this for, for over five plus years, going back to Bobby's last years, just like that, just like what I said last, uh, last week in my call, if you want to play it, go ahead, uh, Ricky just hasn't been able to get this team to succeed in division or in state games, and he's now 6 12 against the East, um, flat out pissed, and our AD doesn't express the same emotions we have until, um, bigger donors start talking, nothing's going to change, and I do want to quickly address what, uh, What Ricky mentioned is pressure about fans saying something. I was there, and nothing was said malicious to Ricky, and that wasn't until a coach, and just so happens this coach calls the run plays up the middle on first and second downs. That's all I'll say. Until he said, F you to a group, to that people, which set things off. As a person, Ricky's great. He's great for the players, but at the end of the day, this is a performance based business. Yes, a business. And if we, if he was having yearly reviews like we do. Uh, he wouldn't have a job, and, uh, I think Ricky, Ricky and Wood would both be gone. Uh, I wish I could end this on a positive note. Uh, that was, that was my goal all season, say, say my concerns, points, uh, leave optimism, but, uh, but I'm all out of it. Gary took the words out of my mouth last week. Uh, we're not gonna get up for a six and six bowl, and now that opportunity's even gone. The only optimism, uh, is hopefully there's gonna be change. Will it happen? Who knows? We've only been waiting for five plus years. area. I'm gonna let you take this one, man.
Gary: Yeah. So we know from Ricky talking about the postgame presser, there was some sort of interaction with some of the coaching staff, some of the players and some of the fans. Obviously, a lot of frustrations, I think, on both sides. They're 100 percent understand from the fan standpoint, and I know that the coaches want to do nothing more than wins. They were probably pretty frustrated that their ball hopes went away. We don't know what exactly happened. That interaction. I haven't seen like video or anything like that, but Uh, Ricky kind of said his piece with it in Postgame Presser. Garrick got his side of it here. You all can make your decisions on what you want to do with that going forward. But we did not want to cut, uh, Garrick call just because it's kind of a sensitive topic. We wanted to let that be known. Um, and you all can go with it from there.
Aaron: Man, you guys are speechless for the first time ever.
Jonathan: Well, you know, uh, I was sad. I wasn't here last week, you know, Gary with the negative vibes, you know, I wasn't here to be a cheerleader, but yeah, it's, uh, I mean, I made a lot of valid points. It is, it is tough, but you know, one of the points I wanted to come back to here and, you know, and you're alluding to this, right? Like we, we had a lot of success coming out of the gates, uh, followed by not so much success, uh, and now we're competing and a record doesn't show success, but like. It's tough. Like we all want to win. We all want to have, uh, you know, you know, going for the college football playoff and all those aspirational things or Sunbelt. Like, uh, it's tough, man. Like week in, week out, especially if you're making the trek from Nova or all over the country, the world, right? Like it's tough to have the result, uh, that we did. Uh, but then I'll, I'll caveat everything. And at least we didn't get blown out.
Gary: Yeah. Go ahead, Jarod. Yeah, I'll,
Jarod: I'll jump in. I, I've been wanting to say this, uh, today and I figured I'd wait until we heard that call again. Obviously we listened to it a little bit ago and, um, I might get some crap from some people for saying this. Cause a lot of people have been talking all season about what, you know, what I'm about to address. Uh, but I think that they're wrong and I'll start it with that. Uh, I think that people remember, like you said earlier, Aaron, they remember our team and they remember how it went. And they can't, they can't get all, I don't want to say get over that, but get off of looking at that and seeing what we have now. And they go, Oh, we want all these games. We scored 77 points against some teams. We did this. We did that here and now we're here and it doesn't seem much better. But I think that the short memory of this last little bit here is we were here. We're here right now. And maybe we can go like this, you know, like we were here and now we're here, but they forget that in the middle somewhere, my hand's not even on the freaking screen, right? Ricky Rahne has come in to a team who went one in 11, right? Right before he got here. Didn't we go one in 11,
Aaron: right? Yeah. Barely beating Norfolk state for that one.
Jarod: Yeah. Ridiculous. He came into a team that did that and then had a COVID year. His first year didn't even get to play football. And he, some people say that's a good thing, right? Oh, well it gave him more time to develop his guys. Now, man, these guys didn't get to play football for a year. So they were itching, but that doesn't mean that it was better for them. They didn't get that competitive game, like atmosphere to, to play in for an entire year. That's really tough to bounce back and just go right into that. After, after a full, basically two years of not playing, right. Yeah. So then he takes the team and we don't do great his first season. Everybody loses their minds because they're just expecting us to just turn it around right away. And then the next year it gets a little better. Don't we make a bowl game right the next year? I think we made the bowl game the first year, right? Was the bowl game the first year, right? Oh, we ended really well. We made the bowl game the first year. So he's, so he's done really great. But it doesn't mean that it's going to stay really great all the time. This is a process. This takes some time. And what I've seen from this team, and I think that Plisco would share this with me, share the, share the same mindset with me. And I hope you guys do too. But what I've seen from this team is a team that went one in 11 and then for a few years, no, we had no idea who the quarterback was going to be. And we had all these guys that were already here that they really were trying to develop somebody and we couldn't. We couldn't get it to work really well and we didn't win enough games and we made two bowl games, but it wasn't great to a team right now who has significantly the hardest schedule in the Sunbelt. And I know that you want to win every game. I want to win every game. I couldn't, I couldn't tell people how wrong they are when they say, I want to win this game more than anybody except the players, because I'm telling you right now, you don't want to win it more than I do, right? That's how I was the entire time I was there. There's a reason I was standing up on the bench, swinging my towels around, trying to get the crowd going crazy. I live and die by this team, right? That's what, that's how I was. And that's how I still am. So I guarantee them, they don't want to win more than me. And they talk so much shit about how bad coach Rahne's been and how bad this team has been, and they're completely wrong. We had the hardest strength of schedule in the entire Sunbelt. We had a top, I feel like I read somewhere, it was like a top 20 strength of schedule for a little while, like at the start of the season. For the teams that we had already played, we're playing really good teams. I mean, we, we have one game this year, one game against the team was a losing record one. That is a tough schedule and we are in a dog fight every single week. And I'm telling you, there's not somebody that's going to come in here and do a better job. Ricky Rahne is the guy for the job right now. Maybe in the future, he won't be, I don't know. I didn't play for the guy. I have no loyalty to him for that reason, right? But my loyalty to him for what I'm saying right now. Is because of all the things I've seen that are so much better than they could be. There's so much better than they were five years ago when he got here. Yes. We're not winning all of our games right now. And it hurts. It really, really hurts. I
Aaron: hate it. I really thank you for saying that. Uh, one thing I want to add as. as a diehard fan. And I didn't even graduate from Old Dominion, but it's something that, you know, when my wife and I met, we started going to basketball games because it was fun and it was cheap. And it was right down the road. And then we ended up getting season tickets. And then in like 2007, when they announced that football was coming out, we got on the season ticket waiting list and we've been seasoned ticket holders for football and basketball 20 plus years. There's a lot of people have been longer than that, but that's, that's my story. I think some of my, say, my fellow fans, um, discontentment is paired, what we were just talking about, that early sustained success, coupled with what we were accustomed to with it. both the men's and women's basketball teams. So, um, you know, the women's team were perennial national contenders. And until not that long ago, um, C. A. Days hadn't lost a conference game in many years. And the women's game changed and things with our program changed. And obviously, with men's basketball a decade, a decade ago or so, some things changed. So there have been a lot, there have been some significant moments in, I'll just call it our big three. So I think fans, it all kind of culminates and comes together and they're like, The football team is down and hasn't had a winning season X number of seasons. And then they jump on the basketball thing where we've got, you know, a new coach with 10 new players and trying to, to rebuild a program there. So I don't even know if it's so much just football, but I think it's the culmination of really committed fans who feel almost beaten down over the The sports that they're most passionate about for quite some time. So it all is more raw and it just feels bigger than what it might actually be. Gary, what do you think about that, man?
Gary: I mean, all the fair weather fans jumped off the train a while ago, probably after the app state game. So you do have the diehards left that, I mean, they do expect more. We're, we're going to top out at what? Five and seven season. If we go beat Arkansas state, uh, another season where we will not have a winning record in football. Like. It's difficult to swallow that, but there's there's kind of one step in this equation. I think so many people have forgotten about because they feel like it was 10 years ago, but it really wasn't. Like we move from Conference USA to the Sunbelt. The difference in talent between those programs in Conference USA and those programs in Sunbelt is massive. Go look at the average Sunbelt defensive lineman and then go look at the average Conference USA lineman.
Jarod: Go look at Liberty's schedule.
Gary: Yeah.
Jarod: Good Lord. They are. They're great. Except they played no one. All year. I do.
Aaron: I do want to bring something up just because I know the folk. There's going to be some folks that watch this that are going to say, yeah, well, And they, they, yeah, but you guys probably even know what I'm about to say, because people will compare us to the people. I won't say hate. They love to cheer against teams like James Madison, themes like Virginia Commonwealth. So those of us, we, all of us, we remember whooping VCU and basketball. Many times at a minimum, we were every single time we played, we knew it was going to be a dog fight. We never expected type of deal. And we played the first two games we played against JMU and football. We won. We, we weren't supposed to Jamie's like you guys, new football program, you know, blah, blah, blah. And you guys won the first two games and over the not so recent past, they've beaten us a lot more than we beat. And so fans are going to say, well, JMU was FCS until a couple of years ago. Why are they doing it? What we should be there. Yeah, and
Gary: I mean, I agree, like I said it after the, the JMU game of that's a team that had a whole coaching staff turnover, lost 95 percent of their production that came to our house after a bi week and beat us like that. That's 1 of those that kind of goes in the unacceptable losses category, but we would be able to handle those a little bit better. If like JMU was our best competition at the conference, but instead they're, they're probably now not even going to compete for the sunbelt title. So it's like we. The margin for winning and losing in the Sunbelt is tiny. So those one or two mistakes you make, you will lose the games because of that. And conference USA, you could probably get away with throwing three interceptions and, you know, having a kickoff go out of bounds and you can still win by 1721 points, like we saw that unfold. So like the schedule is tough. The non conference schedule was created when we thought we were going to be playing all these cupcakes so that we didn't end up like Liberty, right? We get Virginia Tech at South Carolina. We go to Indiana next year, which. We all probably thought that was a cupcake until Cignetti rolled up in there. Um, so it's tough, but I always go back to like, what gives us the best chance to win the most games the following season? So ask yourself that question. Do you think if we clean house, we've got to go, we'll probably lose a lot of our talented players that we have now. They're not going to stay over for new coaching staff. Are we more likely to have like two or three wins next year? Or are we more likely to have seven, eight, nine wins next year? So that's kind of where you ask yourself. Like we have a lot of work to do in the portal and the offices, and we've got to replace a lot of talent. We've got to build a lot of talent, but I don't think that that is made easier right now with the coaching change. Like it was easier. I think the previous one, because we loaded up so much with Juco in that last year, pushed all our chips to the table and it came up. Uh, I don't think we're in that particular situation, but it's showed show or go time. I think David put it in his recap pretty well. Like we expect to be winning the Sunbelt these next year.
Aaron: I think Ricky. I mean, he's an Ivy League dude is a smart guy and I think he's gonna, if he goes out, he'll go out on a sword and trying to do things the right way and build the team the right way. I don't think he'll do what was the downfall of the previous coaching regime. And if it's not good enough, it ends up not being good. I think you're spot on there, Gary. I mean, you've got a freshman quarterback who shows so much. Potential and you definitely want you, you want Colton back next year. You've got some guys on the line who are coming together. I mean, you've got a dude, Zach Barlove, who's come in and has just been a stud on the line. That dude can be back next year. You're linebackers. You can, I mean, there's so many bright spots. You just need, you know, you've got to add in some positions, just like every other team out there. But I think you've got the best chance.
Gary: Yeah, maybe if we didn't have Colton and Jahron, like, maybe I would feel differently about that because I feel like you have two studs on both sides of the ball that played this year, potentially getting a Jason Henderson back and some other guys, but we have to be the most aggressive we have ever been in the transfer portal for plug and play talent, like what's our wide receiver room look like next year? We know there's some guys that are going to be leaving because they're out of eligibility. What's our O line look like next year? What do we look like in the secondary? We have to replace the whole secondary again, minus Jahron. So we still have to be exceptionally aggressive because we need to get on the same talent level as our competition here at the Sunbelt because that's those one or two plays that win and lose you the game. If we win one or two more of those plays every game, like we could be sitting here with the reverse schedule where seven and four and talk about, Hey, beat Arkansas state where we might host the Sunbelt championship game. But exactly.
Jonathan: I want to, I want to go open Pandora's box here. You know, we, we can probably spend the next 16 episodes talking. Uh, but, but two points, right? We, we talk about Sunbelt competition for CAA in all sports aspects, uh, but also the college environment, right? You look back when we had success, like we found great talent. Our coaches are great at securing that talent. And back then. You sign with the school, you go to a school. If you want to move within D1, you have to sit out a year. Right. And we all are very well aware, you know, Monarch nation, like. of the new NIL world, the transfer portal, like the challenges that bring and you look at Cignetti going from JMU to Indiana. I wonder how big that checkbook was from the Indiana donor base. They were tired of having a bad football team. They said, Hey, bring your guys in, go get some guys. And again, not to say they went and spent, you know, 60 million and now they have a great team like. Obviously, Coach Cignetti does, he, he, he wins, Google him, right? Uh, but like, I
Aaron: see what you did there.
Jonathan: That, that just, that's just kind of, I didn't write that one down. Um, but no, like, to win now, we need to support NIL, the pride, right? Like, whatever we can do, if you're feeling down, if you're feeling hurt, like, how can we be better? You think about the fan base, you can influence that, right? Like you can donate to the pride to support the football team because now we have to go back to the transfer portal. We had what, 60 plus guys, two years ago, we had 56 this year. Like every team across college football is doing right. They have their donor base and they have their support that they can restack their team. And yeah, our record, you know, we're four and seven, we were stacking, we had a good football team. We were able to find the right people within the transfer portal, get them in. But if we want to guarantee success, look at that, you know, Aaron didn't put me up for this, but if we want to make an impact, how we do it, this is the new world, right? Like, if we want better talent, if we want to secure our talent, this is how it's done. Unfortunately, right? There's no, Oh, the coach recruited me. I'm here. Not to say, you know, anything on the, the kids that are here now, but like, again, it is a business world. And how do you, you went in business, you invest in your business. And you hope it grows.
Jarod: Yeah. The turnover is not going to help. If, if, if, if Ricky goes, Colton probably goes, if Ricky goes, like you said, some of the other guys probably go, that turnover is not going to help. He's, he's building the team. He's doing his thing. Yes. We didn't win more than we won last year and it sucks, but it just doesn't make sense that all these people in my mind, that all these people think, Oh, you know, Ricky's this Ricky's that he's got to go. I think they're, I think they're dead wrong. And, uh, yeah, just wanted to say that, you know, I just, I, I hear it a lot and it's frustrating to hear when, when you think about how this, the program was at the end of the last era, and then at the very beginning of this one,
Gary: it's, it's tough. And I understand everyone out there who has that opinion to clean house and start over. Like I get that. I understand it. You go look at the wins and losses and hard, hard to argue against you, but I'm just thinking of a complete turnover of everybody. Cause I mean, you're, you're talking 75, 80 guys in the portal, all the names you recognize on the sideline, probably gone at this point. Uh, the coaches that you do like, um, the coaches that have done really well in defensive side of the ball. Like we could lose them anyway to a better job right now. I would love to have them back here next year because I think they can build a really good defense with the pieces coming back in. Um, so it's just tough, but make no mistake, like next year the bar is the bar and if it's not met, there's been opportunity.
Jarod: Yeah, I agree. We have to win. I mean, there's no doubt about it. We have to win. There has to be improvement, but you know, it's a process.
Gary: I want to see Colton throw for 4, 000 yards and like 40 touchdowns next year. So that's what I'm rooting for.
Aaron: That'd be a beautiful thing to see. Um, it really will be so, uh, you know, we're an hour and 15 minutes Gary. Do we want to preview a state or do we want to let Kara Richie do that in our show later in the week?
Gary: I'll give you a quick, like 90 second drill here on Arkansas state. Uh, but definitely tune back in to listen to Kara Richie. She's one of our favorite people in the Sunbelt covers everything Arkansas state. So definitely keep an eye out for that. But, uh, Arkansas state has been a team this year that has won all of the games that they are supposed to win. Uh, they are five and O at home. They are going to be motivated to beat us on Saturday so they can go six and O at home. Uh, this team has had a complete turnaround. I mean, beginning of the season last year, Butch Jones looks like he was going to get thrown out. They were getting outscored something like 160 to 10 through the first three games. Uh, but they figured something out. They've turned it around and they do their job. They played a tough schedule this year. They lost, uh, 10 point game to Michigan. Uh, they lost at Iowa State. Uh, they played some of the tougher teams in the Sunbelt with obviously everyone in the west. Uh, they got Georgia State and US out of the east. They've won two straight games, uh, to get bowl eligibility. And they beat ULM last week to get to seven. So they're definitely competing for. Uh, just just better bowl position. Jalen Rainer is still at quarterback for them. Um, doesn't throw it a ton, but he's got 11 touchdowns, eight interceptions, but really they kill you on the ground with a rushing attack. They've got three guys over 500 yards a season, one of them being Jalen Rainer. They just tear you up inside. They block well, they don't make a ton of mistakes. It's a winnable game for us, but it's gonna be uphill for us in that ballgame because Arkansas State has, Everything going forward and want to finish that undefeated home schedule.
Aaron: So they've won, uh, Five in a row at home or they're five and oh at home, but they've won seven home games in a row So yeah, they're playing very tough at home uh Unlike how I screwed up my discussion last week with regards to the line on the game as I was looking at a Basketball line from the previous season, but this game looks like it's uh, odu minus four right now gary You But it sounds like if you were to drive across state lines, you would be loading up in a different direction, perhaps?
Gary: Yes, I have to continue to hedge my preseason bet on our win total, but yeah, I will be making a trip to Colonial Beach to get four, four and a half, whatever it may be on Arkansas State. So OD can still win. That'd be great. Um, but gotta, gotta hedge that big old ticket hanging out there.
Aaron: Alright, so, uh, do we want to ask the fellas what their prediction is for this game? We doing predictions?
Gary: Yeah, we got to do predictions. We got to at least finish strong. So
Aaron: cool. Which one of you guys want to go first? I got to say, Jarod, you're going to go first because you weren't on mute.
Jarod: There it is. I was going to say he unmuted himself. So he obviously wants to go first. But, um, you know, I don't know much about Arkansas State. I've been paying attention throughout the last few weeks that, you know, what their record is, because. I knew that, you know, if we were going to win out, if we had beat JMU, if we beat Marshall, then this would be a massive game for us. So I've been paying attention and seeing that they're, they're a very good team. I do see that we are, uh, we're the favorite, which I love to see. We're not a lot of the time, the favorite, so I am going to stick with it. I'm going to go ODU. 31. Now I'm going to go Arkansas State 21. I'm going to go with that. I'm going to score a game. Yeah, I'm talking about going, uh, counterculture. Yeah, exactly. I think we're going to score some touchdowns. I think the guys are going to be pissed about this, how these last two games have gone and we're going to continue the success of that, uh, of that second half and score some touchdowns. And I always like to give Ethan the field goal. Uh, you know, got to give him one. It's the kicker in me. Can't help it.
Jonathan: You know, that was going to be my scoreline prediction, but, uh, you know, I'll, I'll change it up. Um, I'm going to go 1714, you know, keep the, uh, one score game, uh, ODU obviously. Uh, but I think it's going to be a low scoring affair. Obviously they have scored points and then there's been instances where they haven't Arkansas state that is, uh, I think it's a strength on strength, right? Time of possession battle. Uh, you know, I, I feel like our defense is going to be able to rein them in enough, uh, so it'll be a relatively low scoring affair, uh, but, you know, we, we, we've proven that we can score, um, you know, um, wasn't going to go with the higher, uh, spread there just based on, uh, you know, past history, past data points, but, uh, I do feel 1714 ODU out, you know, on top.
Aaron: All right. What are you thinking about that one, Gary? What do you think?
Gary: Well, I like Jarod's 31 number. I think it's a really pretty number. I just think Arkansas State is going to be the one that has it. I think it's going to be 3128 Arkansas State. Our guys are going to fight like hell. You're probably going to see a lot more freshmen get some run in this game. Some guys maybe you haven't seen, uh, and they're going to be playing with some fire, trying to get themselves a spot for next year. Uh, you're going to see other guys step up and want to play too. Like they're going to fight. It's gonna be a one score game. Uh, I think Arkansas State gets the win in the end 3128.
Aaron: All right. So I do agree with you, Gary. I think a lot of, a lot of dudes are young guys are going to get some one in this game. Part of it because we have to because of injuries. Part of it because it makes sense for the future of the program. A lot of folks are asking me how this team is going to get up to this game knowing that they don't have bolt eligibility. And this question was asked to Ricky in his post game. Presser, not match. Yes, sir. Uh, and, Ricky's words, like, hit home to me. And he talked about, hey, when you were a kid and you were on a playground, and we were playing football on a playground or whatever it was, you didn't play hard or want to win because the people who weren't watching you at the playground, you did it because you wanted to win. And you loved winning. And you loved the game, and you loved that kind of thing. And judging from the way that these guys have fought all season, I think that's the way our team is wired. So I think our folks go down to a state. I have no reason to think that it's not going to be a close game, a one score game, because until that trend really significantly goes, I got to go with that. And Ethan Sanchez picks a long ass field goal To win this game by three points Gary wins his bet we win and have some momentum going in the next season go monarchs, baby kill monarchs go monarchs
Gary: Go monarchs
Aaron: Oh, did I just end it?
Jonathan: I
Gary: think you did.
Aaron: I think so.
Jonathan: That's the way
Jarod: to end it. I didn't
Aaron: mean to do that by the go marks.
Jarod: Hey, as long as it's not above a 54 yard field goal, I'm cool. He can kick a long one. That's fine. That's right.
Jonathan: You still have the record.
Jarod: Every time it gets, every time it gets close to a 52 or more at home, I'm like
Aaron: You're like Miami Dolphins fans. Every year, breaking out the bubbly. Oh, man. Um So a couple, a couple things. Um, you want to play the drop or you just want to give some words, Gary?
Gary: No, let's, uh, let's play the drop. I mean, we were talking about, this is the, the best time for us to be looking to load up that NIL fund going into the transfer portal here. Uh, so I think it'd be a good time to hear a little bit from our friends at the collective. This episode of the monarchist podcast is brought to you by the pride of OD collective. Their mission is to elevate the experience of student athletes through name, image, and likeness, while also elevating the fan experience. If you or your business are interested in getting involved, You can reach out to us directly or go over to the pride of ODU dot com. That is the pride of ODU dot com. Thank you for listening and go Mars.
Aaron: Thank you for reminding me about that, Gary, that, that really, that is so important. We appreciate all the folks who have gotten together with us at, whether it's at watch parties or it's at pep rallies. We're just, you know, at a basketball chatting and joining, uh, joining the pride. Um, that can't be stated enough. We really appreciate you joining. Please tell your friends we've got to grow this thing. There is absolutely zero reason why we cannot have that. We shouldn't have the strongest NIL collective in the Sunbelt, really in the G five. No, obviously we're never going to compete against P fours with regards to that kind of stuff, but that shouldn't be our goal either. We've got to beat our peers.
Gary: Yeah, that's one way fans can absolutely help out and directly impact what things look like on the field next year, like we all, we all want those really top end guys that come out, uh, circling back to guys that maybe were committed to us, but flipped elsewhere, realized the grass wasn't quite as green, especially with their playing time, uh, and maybe take a look at coming back here, playing at home off on stuff, uh, but that all costs money now and more than just your recruiting budget. So, regardless of your personal feelings on NIL, if you want to compete and win these days, you've got to buy into it.
Aaron: I'm going to ask you guys each one question, the same question, but I'm going to ask you before I close this thing out. Uh, we'll go with Gary first, then we'll go with Jarod, then we'll go with John. Alright, if you had one year of eligibility left, And there was any NIL partner in the 757 that would come to you and want you to rep their product. And they were going to pay you for it. What would that product or business be? Gary, you're the first.
Gary: Not going to be the big and tall store for me. I can tell you that, uh, trying to think of what position I'd play if I'd come back and that wouldn't have me get killed on a regular basis. Oh man,
Aaron: we can come back to you. If one of the other guys knows the
Gary: business that they, I could take the easy cop out and just say Delvecchio's cause I basically give them free advertisement now after every game going in there. So. I have a feeling you might have,
Aaron: you might have stolen one of theirs, but all right, Jarod, it's up to you.
Jarod: Can I, can I say two? Of course. I got two of them. Number one, the dirty buffalo. I love that frigging place almost as much as I love Delvex, which is pretty tough to beat. I love the dirty Buffalo. So that'd be pretty cool. And number two, we got to give a shout out to Tommy Riemann city on my chest. That'd be pretty cool too, because Tommy Riemann obviously played for old dominion. He started his own business along, uh, you know, probably 10 years ago at this point, uh, just making t shirts and he's built it up into something that's really cool, really helps out the community. If you guys don't know what it is, you should take a look at it. It's pretty awesome. So, That'd be my find it. Uh, well, he's got a store in the Patrick Henry mall in Newport News, uh, but he's also online and he's got some really cool products and then they obviously, uh, don't just do that. They do a lot of like community engagement stuff, which is really awesome. He kind of crushes it there. So, um, but yeah, city on my chest. com is what I, is what I think the, uh, the website is. So,
Jonathan: yeah, those are all good. Uh, you know, dirty buffalo, you know, with tr a city on my chest like, um, Jarod you'll you'll find this one funny. Uh, Uh, I would say atlantic orthopedic associates Oh, dude
Aaron: You're getting fired up about that one. Did you listen to watch last week's episode
Jonathan: unreal? I did not actually
Aaron: oh Oh, that's even better. I had a rant last week I completely went off on those guys and I had forgotten about it. I was actually going to mention it again this week, but thank you for triggering me
Jonathan: or, or any orthopedic provider in the area. Um, one, because I still support them in my various, uh, adventures in life. Uh, you know, it's hard to hang up the, uh, the cleats or whatever it may be, but, uh, certainly supported the orthopedic community going through to you. So, you know, I have a soft spot for orthos in my life. So, uh, if they could sponsor me, you know, I'm like their poster child. Right. Uh,
Jarod: Yeah, he was made of glass back then. It's unreal. Didn't miss a game, still made a
Jonathan: glass. They said Craig had the record for ODU starts. I was right there with him, but,
Jarod: uh, I don't, did I ever not start a game too? Just saying all, all four years, just saying. Kickers don't count.
Jonathan: Oh, okay. So putters count.
Jarod: Putters count. But the guy who scores the points doesn't count. Yeah, sure. Whatever. Are you the all time leading
Aaron: scorer in All Dominion football history? Is that true? How many points did you score, John?
Jonathan: Let me think. Uh, hey, uh, I do have the highest ODU rush average to rush minimum.
Jarod: Hey, that counts.
Jonathan: 16. 5 yard rush average.
Gary: Dude, suit him up. Let's go.
Jonathan: Let's go.
Aaron: That's right. Let's
Jonathan: go. And then call the ortho.
Aaron: Man, you reminded me again. Okay. Since you're repping them now, since you're the Atlantic orthopedic guy, do you think it's appropriate to play? Atlantic orthopedic freaking jumbotron advertisements when guys get hurt on the field.
Jonathan: So the question is, was that offered by ODU, marketing, sports properties, whatever, as a incentive to sign them as a sponsor of said view? Or was that a request on Atlantic Ortho? I would hope. It's neither of those, and it's just really bad timing. But I, I think we've seen a trend that's
Jarod: not bad timing. That's
Aaron: every pay for, and I, Hey, I, I, it, I get it. And, and obviously there, there's good money coming to du, but just wait till the dude gets up. That's only, that's what I would change for the guy. Yeah. It's immediate.
Jarod: It is immediate. Yeah. It's like, it's like there's, there's a
Aaron: red button. There's a red button that, oh shit, guy's. Hurt. Get it up there.
Jonathan: like a sticker. If there's like, you know, 15 injuries, you know, did they get like a multiplier on the advertising revenue or
Aaron: I don't know. I mean, it's just, it's, it's just timing. That's all. Probably just me, but I guess I didn't mean to get a four spot there, Aaron.
Gary: Oh, that was so funny. That's so worth it. Hilarious. So worth it.
Aaron: Gary. Gary knew it was coming as soon as you mentioned Atlantic Orthopedic. I saw him light up , not Jordan Young Institute, but Atlantic Orthopedic. Anyways, fellas, thank you for coming on again. Uh. Quickly becoming probably more regular than the rest of us. We appreciate your insight that that didn't sound right either. That's a whole nother product placement. If you had said P Franks or how
Jarod: do we get P for forget P Franks? Oh my
Aaron: that's next. That's next season after your dirty buff, uh,
Jarod: there's
Aaron: nothing saying that dirty Buffalo can't still sponsor you. They've done it before our
Jarod: tailgate.
Aaron: Ooh. Ooh.
Jarod: Ryan, if you're listening, we would love that because we're trying to bring as many alumni players as possible to our tailgate and Dirty Buffalo would be the best way to do it. I'm just saying.
Aaron: I think that is a fabulous way to end this show, dirty Buffalo. If you're watching, you know how to find Jarod and Jonathan certainly know how to find us. Go Monarchs.
Jarod: Go Monarchs.
Gary: Go Monarchs.