Steve: Okay, a quick USA trivia question to start us off. How many stars are on the American flag?
Lovella: Oh, there's like one for each state, so it'd be 50.
Steve: Correct.
Lovella: Welcome to Kids vs. Parents. This is a family trivia battle with four questions for the kids and four tougher ones for the parents. Thanks for joining us. I'm Lovella.
Steve: And I'm Steve. Today, we're playing USA trivia. USA! USA! No, stop. Okay. In honor of America's 250th birthday this weekend. That's right. It's 4th of July. Happy birthday! On the weekend. And America is turning 250. That's old. That's older than me. No, that's younger than you.
Lovella: Younger than you.
Steve: You missed your old joke there. You missed your opportunity. I had to set you up for that.
Lovella: No.
Steve: Too slow. You're getting too slow in your old age, Lovella. You missed that one. I'm only 13. Exactly. That's a lot of candles on a cake, right? Are they going to put candles on the cake for America? That's a big cake. Lots of candles. Yeah, a lot of candles on the cake. We'll see. All right. What is the prize today, Lovella, for the winner of USA Trivia?
Lovella: The winner gets to become the president and make an exit.
Steve: Of the United States?
Lovella: No, of like your household.
Steve: Oh, okay, cool.
Lovella: And they get to make an executive decision. Music, snack, movie, anything.
Steve: Right. So they get to pick something. They get to sign an executive order. I declare that we all eat ice cream for the rest of the week. What do you think your executive decision will be? If you become president of our family?
Lovella: I declare that I must go to Hawaii.
Steve: Oh, okay.
Lovella: It is like in the set, like it's a state.
Steve: You're right, it is.
Lovella: It's kind of perfect.
Steve: Perfect. All right, who's going to go first today, Lovella?
Lovella: I think the parents should go first, test their knowledge because they've been around longer.
Steve: Oh, okay. They've been around for longer, more years of America's history. Okay. All right, parents, you're up first. Get out those encyclopedias. Do you know what an encyclopedia is, Lovella? Yes, of course I do. Have you ever held an encyclopedia?
Lovella: No, but I know what an encyclopedia is.
Steve: What is it?
Lovella: It's words.
Steve: What is an encyclopedia?
Lovella: Stop making me sound dumb.
Steve: I'm not.
Lovella: It's an encyclopedia.
Steve: Yeah, what's an encyclopedia?
Lovella: Isn't it like a dictionary or something?
Steve: I mean, kind of, I guess.
Lovella: Exactly, see?
Steve: It's a giant book of facts and information. Yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Lovella: It's an information book.
Steve: It's what we used to use before the internet existed.
Lovella: Oh, you poor people.
Steve: Yeah. All right, parents, get out your encyclopedias. Here we go.
Lovella: All right, here we go. Question number one. What ship carried the pilgrims to North America in 1620?
Steve: Ah, man. I'm not going to be good at any of this. No, you're not. US history. No, you're not. It's the, okay. What's the boat called? The.
Lovella: You've got the V right. The shot.
Steve: Not the Titanic. What the heck?
Lovella: The Titanic?
Steve: The Liberty. The Liberty Cruise. Liberty. I don't know. I think I vaguely remember it, but I've gone blank. Like, it's not a piece of information that I feel like I need to keep in my head. So it always disappears.
Lovella: Yeah. All right. So the correct answer was the Mayflower.
Steve: That's right.
Lovella: The Mayflower.
Steve: Yeah. We did that for Thanksgiving. We did that question in Thanksgiving and I still forgot it.
Lovella: All right. Question number two. What famous bell in Philadelphia is associated with American independence?
Steve: Okay, the Liberty Bell.
Lovella: Yeah, like you kind of just said it.
Steve: I kind of got it before. Yeah, the Liberty Bell.
Lovella: Good job. All right. Question number three. What state was the last to join the United States?
Steve: Oh, um, what state was the last to join? Um, I have no idea. I'm going to be guessing that it is, it'll be, is it one of those islands? Maybe it's Alaska. I don't know. I really don't know. I have no idea. Um, Alaska? That is incorrect. Was it Hawaii?
Lovella: It was Hawaii.
Steve: Ah. Aloha. I was kind of on the way there. Yeah.
Lovella: All right. Last question. Which was the first established university in the US?
Steve: Oh man, again, I don't know. I'm going to be guessing.
Lovella: I can understand why this is not for you because.
Steve: Yeah, I'm not American.
Lovella: You're not American. I'm non-American, but like I've been in America for more than half of my life. Uh-huh.
Steve: Okay. What are, I just got to name some, it's probably something over in Washington or in New York. I don't know. Maybe not. Harvard. Harvard? Harvard University? That's the only one I can think of. Harvard. That is correct. Oh, really?
Lovella: Good job. Nice.
Steve: Okay. Lucky save. Lucky guess. Mm-hmm. I mean, well, one, I couldn't really think of any other. universities to be honest. So that was the first one that came to mind. All right. What was my score? I didn't do very well. Two?
Lovella: Yeah. You only got two.
Steve: I didn't get the Mayflower. You didn't get the Mayflower or Hawaii. Or Hawaii. I got Harvard and what was the other one I got?
Lovella: Liberty Bell.
Steve: Liberty Bell. I got Harvard and I got Liberty Bell. Okay.
Lovella: It's okay.
Steve: For an Australian living in the US, I probably should have done a little better than that. But anyway.
Lovella: Yeah.
Steve: Okay. All right.
Lovella: Let's see how I do.
Steve: Let's see how you do. You've been talking it up.
Lovella: I mean, I have learned a lot about the US, but I've forgotten a lot of everything I've learned.
Steve: Let's see how you do, kids. You're up next. Okay, kids. USA trivia question number one. What is the largest state in the USA?
Lovella: No, geez. Oh, the largest one? I want to say Texas because that just looks really big.
Steve: They talk about everything's bigger in Texas.
Lovella: Everything's bigger in Texas. Could be Alaska. Could be. Texas or Alaska, I'm going to say.
Steve: Oh, look at them on a map. Can you imagine where they are on the map? Which one looks bigger?
Lovella: They both look the same for me.
Steve: Really?
Lovella: I don't know.
Steve: One is clearly bigger.
Lovella: I also think it's kind of hard to tell.
Steve: On a map?
Lovella: On a map because also they're all curved and…
Steve: Sure.
Lovella: They're all… whatever.
Steve: Okay.
Lovella: I'm just going to say Alaska.
Steve: You are correct.
Lovella: Really?
Steve: Yes.
Lovella: Okay.
Steve: Oh, wow. It's huge. Alaska is huge. It's very big. Okay. Well done. Thank you. Okay. Question number two. What monument features the faces of four presidents carved into rock?
Lovella: For a second, I just wanted to say Mount Everest, but that is so wrong. Okay. Mount. Oh my gosh. Mount Rushmore. Correct. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Steve: Well done. All right. Question number three. What bird is the national bird of the United States?
Lovella: Oh, I think I know this. Isn't it a quail?
Steve: Is that your answer?
Lovella: Yeah.
Steve: You are incorrect.
Lovella: Oh, dang it.
Steve: It is not the quail. I thought it was. It is the bald eagle. Oh, my bad. Do you remember that now? Yeah.
Lovella: I think I thought you meant something else.
Steve: The quail might be a state bird.
Lovella: Yeah, state bird. I think that's what I was thinking. Yeah.
Steve: I don't know what state bird.
Lovella: I shouldn't guess bald eagle because, yeah.
Steve: Because they're very American.
Lovella: Very American.
Steve: They're in lots of like imagery too, like logos and symbols and stuff like that. Cool. All right. Last question for you. What famous road once crossed much of America westward?
Lovella: What? I want to say like Route 66, mainly because I only remember Route 66 because of Cars, the movie Cars. I'm just going to say Route 66.
Steve: You are correct. what yeah no yeah really yes oh okay that is correct well done job to me all right good job
Lovella: okay i got three out of four and dad got two out of four yeah that means we're moving into our
Steve: tiebreaker or our bonus round so one question for both teams first one to answer takes home two points so i do have a chance to win in this one if i can get two points from the bonus question Mm-hmm. We'll see. If you get it incorrect, though, if you buzz in and get it incorrect, you lose the points. They go to the other team. So don't give them to the other team. All right. Bonus or tiebreaker question. What president is on the $1 bill?
Lovella: Buzz.
Steve: Oh.
Lovella: I think I know.
Steve: I think you know. Well, you buzzed in. So you've got to get it right now.
Lovella: It's got to be George Washington, right?
Steve: Is he on the $1?
Lovella: He's not on the coin. I think he is.
Steve: I think Abraham Lincoln's on some of the coins.
Lovella: Yeah, he's on the penny, isn't he?
Steve: I think so. I don't know. Yeah. Is that your answer? You're going to go George Washington?
Lovella: I'm just going to say George Washington.
Steve: I think that's a pretty good guess. I'm not entirely sure.
Lovella: No, I think I am right.
Steve: It's either that or it's Benjamin Franklin.
Lovella: Oh, yeah.
Steve: I can't remember because everybody talks about the Benjamins, but I think Benjamin Franklin is on the $100 bill.
Lovella: The Benjamins just sounds so like British. The Benjamins.
Steve: All right, let me have a look. Let me scroll down and see what the answer is. It's George Washington. Yes. Well done. Oh my gosh.
Lovella: I did it.
Steve: I did it.
Lovella: I did it.
Steve: That means you get to be president for a little bit.
Lovella: Oh, yes.
Steve: And sign an executive order.
Lovella: Okay. All right.
Steve: Be prepared, Dad.
Lovella: It's not coming out good for you.
Steve: It's not going to be good. What's your executive order going to be?
Lovella: Well, you'll have to find out.
Steve: Oh, okay.
Lovella: Mainly because I'm still deciding.
Steve: Oh, okay. You don't know yet.
Lovella: I don't know yet.
Steve: Are you going to pardon? Maybe you could pardon somebody. Maybe you could pardon your brother from his bedroom if he does something bad. We'll see. Well, thanks for playing Kids vs. Parents US Trivia. Happy birthday to America. Happy birthday. Happy birthday, America. We hope you guys had fun playing. If you enjoyed this, you might like to play our Australia episode. Oh, yeah. We have an Australian episode that we did a little while ago. We'll put a link to that in the show notes. Yeah. But otherwise, join us next week.
Lovella: Yeah. Happy 4th of July, everyone, this coming weekend. Happy Fourth of July. Bye.
Steve: Bye.