Lovella: Quick trivia question to start us off. What two colors are a standard Pokeball?
Steve: Oh, that is red and white.
Lovella: Yes, correct. Welcome to Kids vs. Parents, the family trivia battle with four questions for the kids and four tougher ones for the parents. I'm Lovella.
Steve: And I'm Steve. And before we get into the episode today, we have a special announcement. We have just launched the free Kids vs. Parents crew.
Lovella: And crew members get free family games, vote on future episodes, and chances to help test new games.
Steve: We'll explain all about this later at the end of the episode, but you can head over and join for free at playkidsverseparents.com.
Lovella: All right. Today's episode has been highly requested. We're doing Pokemon trivia.
Steve: Oh, boy. Has this been requested a lot? We've had the most out of any episode.
Lovella: Yes, it's crazy.
Steve: So many people.
Lovella: So many people.
Steve: Here are a few of the people who suggested this one.
Lovella: Okay, so we have Beckett.
Steve: From Redondo Beach, California.
Lovella: Arlo.
Steve: From Lando Lakes, Florida.
Lovella: Holden and Rivers.
Steve: From Westchester, Pennsylvania.
Lovella: Ava the Axolotl.
Steve: Which is from Spotify.
Lovella: Elena and Isabel.
Steve: From Lexington, South Carolina.
Lovella: Landon and Logan.
Steve: From Evans, Georgia.
Lovella: And Centaine.
Steve: From New South Wales, Australia.
Lovella: Thank you, guys.
Steve: Wow.
Lovella: So many people.
Steve: Yeah. Thank you all for writing in and suggesting this episode. we finally got to a Pokemon episode for you. Although Lovella and I don't really know a lot about Pokemon.
Lovella: Yeah, I only really know Pikachu, Red and White Pokeball.
Steve: But we're going to do our best and we hope that you enjoy playing along. We do have some good questions though. Yes. We do have some fun questions.
Lovella: So even if we get them wrong, we hope that you enjoy them.
Steve: That's right. Hopefully you do a lot better than Lovella and I.
Lovella: Okay, Dad, so what's the prize today?
Steve: The winner of today's episode will get the Evolution Boost Prize. And what that means is that their next snack or dessert gets to evolve. What? It gets to be an extra scoop of ice cream. Or you get to put sprinkles or candy on it. Or you get a double dose of pretzels or a snack.
Lovella: Whoa. Oh, my goodness.
Steve: Extra cheese on your pizza.
Lovella: Now that's a prize.
Steve: That's right.
Lovella: That's crazy.
Steve: That's right. Your snack or dessert gets to evolve.
Lovella: Whoa.
Steve: So it's going to be fun.
Lovella: Oh, my. Okay.
Steve: Without further ado, let's get into this competition. Yes. Right? Who's going to go first?
Lovella: Let's do us kids first. Let's do all the kids first.
Steve: They've requested it. So let's let all the kids go first.
Lovella: You're going to rock it, kids.
Steve: Here we go, kids. Question number one. What is the name of Pikachu's trainer? I don't know.
Lovella: I don't know.
Steve: It's okay. We've already established that you don't know a lot about Pokemon. It's okay if you don't know the easy ones.
Lovella: I'm going to say Bob.
Steve: Bob? You are incorrect.
Lovella: Dang it.
Steve: It is Ash Ketchum. Do you know why it's like Ketchum? It's like Ketchum All. He wants to Ketchum All.
Lovella: Oh, Ketchum.
Steve: Ketchum All. Ash Ketchum.
Lovella: That's cool.
Steve: That's his name. Well. All right. Not on the board. That's okay.
Lovella: That's okay.
Steve: All right. Here we go. Question number two. What Pokemon is known for sleeping all the time?
Lovella: Is it the turtle one?
Steve: The turtle one?
Lovella: I don't know. There's a turtle.
Steve: Is there a turtle?
Lovella: There's a turtle.
Steve: Is that the one that's called Squirtle?
Lovella: Probably. Oh, yeah. Squirtle. Yeah, I know that dude. He's cute. The one that sleeps.
Steve: What's the one that sleeps all the time? I'll give you a little hint. his name has kind of got an association with sleeping.
Lovella: Sleeper. Nighttime.
Steve: What do some people do when they sleep?
Lovella: Sleepwalking. Nightmare.
Steve: If you were faking to sleep, what would you do to let people know that you were sleeping? You're pretending to sleep. What would you do?
Lovella: I would snore.
Steve: Yeah. So what would the Pokemon's name be?
Lovella: Snorer. Snore. Snore. Let's just go with snore.
Steve: It is not snore.
Lovella: Bro, you just...
Steve: It is Snorlax.
Lovella: Snorlax. How am I meant to know that there's a lax at the end of that?
Steve: If you watch Pokemon.
Lovella: I don't watch Pokemon though. I don't play Pokemon.
Steve: That's not my fault. Well, still not on the board. Let's see if you can get on the board. Your goal, Lovella, is to get one right.
Lovella: Yeah, my goal. That's my main goal. I have a question about Pikachu because I've drawn Pikachu plenty of times.
Steve: What color is Pikachu?
Lovella: Yellow. I got that. Is that what you want? Oh my gosh, guys.
Steve: No, that's not one of the questions. That was just a bonus question. But I cooked.
Lovella: I cooked that question.
Steve: This is for like Pokemon fans, right? I can't go. I can't just give what color is Pikachu. Like, no. Question number three. What is the name of Asha's hometown? O que é ele? guess. Pokey. Pokeyville? Pokeyville sounds so cute. Is incorrect though. It is Pallet Town.
Lovella: I totally got that. Pallet Town. Dang it. I was just about to say that next. You just interrupted
Steve: me. Oh, sorry. I could have gotten that right. Nope. All right. Still zero. Don't worry, Lovella. I don't imagine I'm going to get it off the board either. We might end up having
Lovella: deuces for both of us. I feel like this might be one of our first episodes where we both get
Steve: It could very well be, but we will see. That'd be so funny. Let's see. Last question for the kids. Here we go. Which Pokemon has a flame burning on the end of its tail?
Lovella: Oh, it's the fire one. It's the fire one. Can't I just get a point for that?
Steve: The fire one?
Lovella: It's flame. I know what they're talking about. It looks like a dragon, doesn't it? It looks like a cute little dinosaur or something. Does it? Is that its name? I don't remember. Cute little dinosaur? No. It's got to be something with fire. Fireball.
Steve: Fireball? Is that your answer? Sure. That's my answer. It is Charmander.
Lovella: Oh, my gosh. I've heard of that one.
Steve: Charmander. I would have also accepted...
Lovella: Fireball.
Steve: No, not Fireball. I would have also accepted Chimchar and Monferno.
Lovella: Monferno.
Steve: I think those are two other Pokemon that have a fire at the end of their tail, but the most common one is Charmander.
Lovella: Charmander.
Steve: All right. Well, Lovella, shall we do a quick score check for you? Let's go back and count.
Lovella: Okay, I have one plus two minus two minus one equals zero.
Steve: So zero for you. Zero off the board. Let's see how I do. I'm not going to tease you on this one because I can't imagine I'm going to get off the board either.
Lovella: Yeah.
Steve: I hope you kids did a lot better than Lovella. I'm sure there's those.
Lovella: Probably.
Steve: I have faith in you guys. I imagine that all the people who suggested this topic. Yeah. They're going to cook.
Lovella: They're going to shine.
Steve: They got four out of four, right?
Lovella: Probably.
Steve: I'm hoping so. Probably got four out of four. All right. Parents, get yourselves ready. You're up next.
Lovella: Okay, Dad. Here we go. Question number one. What year were the original Pokemon games first released in Japan?
Steve: A. Oh, good. Multiple choice.
Lovella: That means I got a chance. A, 1976. B, 1986. C, 1996. Or D, 2006.
Steve: Oh, okay. 76? 76, 86, 96, or 2006. Or 2006. Okay. All right. It's definitely not 2006. They've been around longer than that. 96. I'm going to rule that one out as well. I feel like it's 86 or 76. Were they around 86? Did they come out in the 80s? I'm going to say 1986 is going to be my guess.
Lovella: You are incorrect.
Steve: No way. Really?
Lovella: Is it 76? It was 1996.
Steve: Oh, it was 96.
Lovella: Uh-huh. Oh, okay, right. Yep. First released in Japan.
Steve: 1996. Okay. All right. I was a decade off.
Lovella: Yeah. That's okay, buddy.
Steve: All right.
Lovella: All right. Question number two.
Steve: Okay.
Lovella: What Pokemon can transform into another Pokemon?
Steve: What Pokemon?
Lovella: What Pokemon can transform into a different Pokemon?
Steve: Oh, it'll be like a shape-shifting one.
Lovella: So what does a shape-shifter sound like?
Steve: Shift-lax. Shift-a-tune.
Lovella: Are you just... You're just adding the ending sounds or names, letters.
Steve: Copy. Copycat. Copychew.
Lovella: Copychew.
Steve: Copychew is my answer.
Lovella: That's actually so cute.
Steve: That sounds cute.
Lovella: Copychew.
Steve: I'm going to say copychew.
Lovella: Copychew.
Steve: Am I right?
Lovella: It is ditto.
Steve: Oh, it's ditto. Ditto. Oh, that makes sense. Do you know what ditto means?
Lovella: Like same.
Steve: Yeah, it means same. Same. Agreed. Agreed, yeah. So. Ditto. What does Ditto look like? I'm going to look him up right now.
Lovella: I hope he's cute. Let's see. Aw.
Steve: Is he cute? He's so cute.
Lovella: Look, he's like a purple blob.
Steve: He's like a purple blob.
Lovella: Aw.
Steve: That would make sense. He's kind of blobby and then he kind of obviously transforms into the shape of other Pokemon.
Lovella: Guys, I want Ditto.
Steve: You want Ditto?
Lovella: I have Ditto.
Steve: You got to go catch him.
Lovella: Aw, I don't want to catch him. I'll ask Ash to catch him.
Steve: All right. Well, I was close. Maybe. Maybe not really. But anyway. It's okay. Still zero for me. Zero for Lovella. All right.
Lovella: Question number three. What is the name of the online game that uses your real world location to find and catch Pokemon?
Steve: I'm about to get on the board.
Lovella: You know this?
Steve: I think I know this. Interesting.
Lovella: Okay, I've seen random people playing this game.
Steve: Yes, we've seen people.
Lovella: I was walking to school one time and then this man, he came out from a house and he was running with his phone and he was like, Pikachu! Or something. Or Pokemon! Really? And I was like, okay. Okay, buddy.
Steve: Yes, I have seen people playing this out in public as well. What is it called? It is called Pokemon Go.
Lovella: That is incorrect.
Steve: Oh, really?
Lovella: Just kidding. You're right. I'm right! You're right! Yes! On the board! Woohoo!
Steve: Finally, someone scored.
Lovella: Okay, last question and this is a multiple choice.
Steve: Oh, another multiple choice.
Lovella: Okay, here we go. Question number four. Which Pokemon card is widely considered the rarest in the world? A. First Edition Charizard. B. Pikachu Illustrator. C. Ancient Mew. Or D. Shining Mewtwo.
Steve: um well i have no idea on that one okay i think anything with first edition is probably pretty rare um i would also think pikachu is the most common one does that make it the most it's probably not the rarest i feel like pikachu's probably been printed a lot i'm gonna say first edition charizard i don't know the other two what was it ancient new ancient mu and shining mew too shining mew too it's probably is going to be one of those two but i don't really know anything about those so i'm going to say first edition charizard the correct answer was pikachu illustrator oh what does it look like have you got it in front of you
Lovella: It's like this. It looks weird.
Steve: You have to describe it.
Lovella: It's got...
Steve: We're on an audio podcast. Okay. You have to describe it.
Lovella: It looks like Pikachu is holding a spear or what looks like a paintbrush or a sparkly diamond pen to me.
Steve: Right. And do you know how much it's worth?
Lovella: $16 million. Dollars? $16,492 million.
Steve: Wow.
Lovella: Yeah, that's a lot.
Steve: That's a lot for a Pokemon card. Someone paid that.
Lovella: They take this very serious.
Steve: They do take it very seriously. Wow.
Lovella: They take those things very seriously.
Steve: Okay. Well, I didn't get that one.
Lovella: That's okay. You got one. That's really impressive.
Steve: Okay. I got one. That's beautiful. I'll take it. That's beautiful. I'll take it. Wow. So we're going to go to our bonus question now. So Lovella, this is a chance for you to get on the board and see how you go. But hopefully everybody playing along did a lot better than us. But let's go to our bonus round now.
Lovella: Okay.
Steve: One question. Both families can answer this question. First team to buzz in gets the two points. It's a bonus two-point question, this one. But if you get it wrong, the points go to the other team.
Lovella: Okay.
Steve: Make sure you know the answer if you want. Lovella's going to read it out.
Lovella: All right. Here we go. Bonus tiebreaker question. What type of Pokemon is Pikachu? Buzz.
Steve: I didn't even know any of the names of them.
Lovella: Okay. I have a question before I answer this. Is it what type of like species? Or what type of ability or something?
Steve: No, I think it'll be the type of...
Lovella: I was just going to say like he's an everything Pikachu. Pikachu is an everything.
Steve: I don't know the answer either. All right, here we go. I'm going to scroll down. I don't know. Neither of us know the answer. We're being very terrible hosts. We probably should have got some guests to come in for this one.
Lovella: Yes, we probably should have. Okay, the correct answer was electric.
Steve: Oh, okay, right. Oh, because he's got the little lightning bolt.
Lovella: Oh, my gosh.
Steve: He's got the little lightning bolt on his tail. Oh, yeah. Whatever. He's an electric Pokemon.
Lovella: I always thought that was just for decoration.
Steve: Well, now we know. You know what, Lovella? We've learned a lot about Pokemon, you and I.
Lovella: Yes, we have.
Steve: But guess what? I win the episode because I got one correct.
Lovella: Yeah, and because I technically got it wrong, you got three points.
Steve: Well, I was the only one who answered a question correct in this entire episode. So parents win this one.
Lovella: Good job. And we hope everyone out there, I'm not going to say all those names again, But we hope everyone out there who suggested this topic had a great time and got all the questions right.
Steve: That's right. All right. Well, before we end the episode, we want to tell you a little bit about Kids vs. Parents Crew, the new community that we've launched. How this works, if you'd like your family to be a part of the Kids vs. Parents Crew, you can jump onto our website, playkidsvsparents.com.
Lovella: Yes.
Steve: You'll be able to download some free road trip printables to play on your road trips, vote on future topics, and occasionally help us test brand new game ideas.
Lovella: Yes. And crew members of the families will invite to compete against each other on future episodes.
Steve: That's right. So come on over, join our Kids vs Parents crew.
Lovella: Yes. Join free at playkidsverseparents.com. There'll be a link in the show notes.
Steve: First thing we're going to do is going to send a poll out on the next episodes that we should do. So we'll give you four or five options of episodes we can do and you can vote. And whichever one gets the most votes, that's the topic we'll do in that month.
Lovella: So game on.
Steve: Game on, everybody. Thanks for joining us. Please be part of the crew and we'll see you next time.
Lovella: Bye.
Steve: Bye.