Have you ever thought about what would happen if you lost all devices, authenticated with your password or your MFA system? You had a fire that took out everything and you couldn't even grab your phone before you left. It was that bad. How do you get back in? That's what this episode is all about.
W. Curtis Preston: hi, and welcome to Backup Centrals Restore it All podcast. I'm your host w Curtis Preston, AKA a Mr. Backup, and have with me once again my financial non-ad advisor Prasanna it
Prasanna Malaiyandi: Ah, Curtis. Yes. I am not your financial advisor. I am not accredited by any institution or any agency.
W. Curtis Preston: right, But sometimes we talk about things. That you answer questions and then you tell me to check those answers. Um, we had, we had some conversations about Roth IRAs and IRAs and things today, which, you know, um, it's, it's incredibly, you know, as I. As I progress in years, um, and I start to worry about when I'm gonna start withdrawing from these funds and not, not be putting money into them. The thing is advisor, non-ad advisor or not, it was from you that I learned the whole thing about Backdoor Roths. So I'm sure when I have questions, I will not be able to count on my non, my financial non-ad advisor. Prasanna, There you go. It's just bits and pieces of information I've picked up over the past many, many years, and it's just something I'm interested in. So, uh, so this is gonna be, once again, kind of a unique podcast, a unique episode, uh, because for the first time, We have, we're gonna record sort of the question and then we'll talk about the, the answer. Um, because we had a listener who reached out to us about, uh, you know, a particular, it's like, what do I, how do I solve this problem? And I honestly, I said, you know what? I'm not even sure I have a good answer for that, but let's bring you on. You know, get some, you know, get that question out there and then we're gonna bring on someone else to do the answer. So, uh, our guest today describes herself as an anthropologist by training, a programmer by application, and a manager by necessity. She's a system and network admin for her own company that her and her husband have owned for many years. She reached out to us with this question and I think it will make a great episode. So welcome to the podcast, Sue Peterson.
Sue Peterson: Good afternoon, gentlemen.
Prasanna Malaiyandi: Happy to have you on. Yeah,
W. Curtis Preston: is it? Well speak for yourself, Sue. Not, not here. Where, where are you? Uh, are you, you said you're in Portland.
Sue Peterson: Eugene. Eugene.
W. Curtis Preston: nice.
Sue Peterson: we, we had, we had over an inch of snow, um, two days ago. Oh, Wet snow.
W. Curtis Preston: Oh yeah. That I, That does not lived in places where you get that. Um, how, how are the roads at this point?
Sue Peterson: Totally clear. It melted immediately. Oh,
W. Curtis Preston: Oh, really? Okay. So why don't you describe to us this problem that you, that you're worried about,
Sue Peterson: Well. I'm kind of the IT department for the company My husband and I own have owned since 40 years. Um, he inherited his father's business, which started in 47. So it's family business. I've got. On an average day around 30 ish employees, at the moment we're running 15 trucks, I think, although he keeps buying trucks, so I may have miscounted.
W. Curtis Preston: And what and what type of business is this?
Sue Peterson: it's contracting business, plumbing, business, plumbing repair,
W. Curtis Preston: Mm-hmm.
Sue Peterson: and I'm running the computers and I wrote the database and we're running in-house software almost totally, um, for our, for our business and. Customers and everything. Customer who owes me money sort of stuff. And backups are important when everything you do depends on that data. So I've been fanatic about backups since 19. I got my first computer, Personal computer in 1985,
W. Curtis Preston: Is it for the record? That's the year I graduated from high school just saying.
Sue Peterson: I figured I was a little bit older than you. I was, I was trying to count that. I still do the, I still do the ponytail. Um, so I started doing backups then, um, at the moment I'm running a mix of Ubuntu and Mac machines. The servers are on Ubuntu. I run MySQL. So every night, let's see, I'm doing, um, Apple time machine on the workstation that are. Still apples. I'm doing Authy for authorization. As we talked, I am dumping everything to rsync every night. I do crash plan on some workstations. I do Dropbox and one password every night, um, every couple hours. And then nightly, I do a MySQL dump. It's encrypted and up and zipped and uploaded to, um, Dropbox. And then every night that gets downloaded to my server at, to my second server at home Decrypted. And it's kind of a. Yeah, test server. And that gets sent to rsync every night. And I was, a couple years ago, we had some issues with fires in the area and of course we're an earthquake zone and I'm paranoid, so I'm sitting there and saying, How do I get back into this system? Assuming I have five, you know, five minutes to get out of the house and down the road.
W. Curtis Preston: Right,
Sue Peterson: I, I, I can't grab anything. I'm running for life. And, and this include, and this also includes like your phones, right? Everything right. It's not just like those servers. Gotcha. Yeah. I mean, servers, I can rebuild. But what, what do I need with this ecosystem? What do I need to have to get back into it? And one password, a few years ago went to something where your phone number, you need more than your phone number. Hmm. need. You need that special key that they give you. Okay, that key's like this long. I don't memorize it. Yes, I have it printed out in my safe.
W. Curtis Preston: Mm-hmm.
Sue Peterson: case analysis, my safe's gone. Yep.
W. Curtis Preston: Right.
Sue Peterson: Now, now, now the odds of this happening are minuscule, but you know what? Yeah, no, this is, this is a great question because I know Sue, we're talking about your specific environment, but honestly, this could apply to anyone. Like I was just thinking, like when I first heard about this question, right? I was like, so what happens if my house burns down? I've lost my laptop, I've lost my phone. How do I even get into like as a user into like my Apple device, right? And into my. Apple account and then into my mail system, like where do I even start to rebuild? Because sure, I have offsite copies, but if I can't get access to it because I don't have a starting device, what do I do? yeah.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. I was thinking actually, This would be, um, you know, who, you know, who, uh, came to mind Prasanna, um, what's, what's her name? The lady, the, the disaster preparedness Oh
Sue Peterson: Oh yeah. yes.
W. Curtis Preston: Uh, what was her name? Um, or her name's escaping. Uh, she, she, she came on and she's, she talks about helping people get ready for all kinds of things like these, that she doesn't focus just on it, but she focuses on, I think, these things that we talk about, which is h how do you, how do you put back, uh, how do you put back everything? The more complicated. Uh, so you're, I, so first off, I'll, I'll just say this. I think it, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. I mean, we might change different pieces of it, um, you know, like, would I do it slightly differently? Maybe? But I like that you're, it sounds like you've got, uh, it sounds like there's a cloud copy of everything. Right. Um, and it also sounds like you've got a local copy. On this server. Okay.
Sue Peterson: Yeah. Yes.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. An offsite an offsite copy, right. But it, it, it's offsite from, from where the data is, but it's still local to you. Um, and, and then you also have a cloud copy, cuz a cloud copy could easily be your, the doomsday copy when this.
Sue Peterson: right.
W. Curtis Preston: All goes to hell. Uh, the question will then be, and and also I like that you're using a password manager. We talk a lot about password managers here.
Sue Peterson: I'm paranoid.
W. Curtis Preston: yeah, well, as you should be, this is a paranoid world. Um, and then also you've mentioned that you use Authy for, uh, uh, mfa, right?
Sue Peterson: Yeah. Not for everything. Some stuff won't use it, but yeah. and and I think we should talk, Curtis, I know when we talk about the solution, right? This'll come up, but I was just recalling your situation. Remember when your cell phone. You swapped your cell phones and you hadn't done your yet.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. well, well, that's what, that's how I ended up at Authy. Uh, Sue, I was originally with, um, a Google Authenticator, and the problem with Google Authenticator is when you change phones, you have to make that. Switch over. And if you don't, at the time of changing the phones, you have to start all over, right. And ma and make, uh, new tokens for everything. And that was a giant pa and that's kind of what you're talking about, that scenario of how do, how do I do that?
Sue Peterson: Yeah.
W. Curtis Preston: And, um, while you're, you're definitely more that you're, you're, I put you in like, like the prosumer category, right? You're a relatively small shop, um, but you're, but you're doing this from a, for a professional reason. Um, and, um, Oh, by the way, yeah. And I like the fact that you're encrypting that database. Um, I don't want to ask you too many questions about how, how you're encrypting it. There are ways perhaps that you could change your infrastructure that perhaps the bootstrap. Issue might be easier to deal with. So for example, I, if you moved the, instead of having a MySQL database on a, on a Linux server, if you went with a hosted MySQL database somewhere, um, so that it was in the cloud, that would be, and, and I'm not suggesting these changes, I'm just saying these are, these are Different trade offs. you could make. Yeah. Different trade offs. Right. Um,
Sue Peterson: haven't made
W. Curtis Preston: By the way, here's our usual disclaimer. This is an independent podcast, uh, and that, uh, you know, the opinions that you hear from Prasanna and I are ours. And also, um, be sure to rate us please. Uh, it helps us, it helps people find us. And, uh, by, just scroll down to the bottom there and click on the. Five stars and hopefully five stars. If, if you think we're one stars, then you know it's really not necessary for you to. Um, and, um, and then also if you would like to join the, um, uh, the conversation, then reach out to me the way Sue did. Uh, you can either use w Curtis Preston gmail, you can use at WC preston on Twitter, or you can use LinkedIn linkedin.com/i/mr. Backup. Uh, and you'll find me. So let's just sort of walk through this. Um, the one you, you were ta so with Authy you can back up the keys, right? You can back up the, did we call, what did we call them? Keys key. Recovery key. Yeah, the rec, well, they have the recovery keys, but also you can back up the vault, right? Um, and then you can restore that somewhere. Um,
Sue Peterson: tried restoring it, but presumably it works.
W. Curtis Preston: then, then the backup person in me would say that you don't really have a backup if you've never tried restoring it. So that would be step one. Yeah. So I, I think any of these things, the only way you're going to know, the way the experience is really is to try it, right? Is to say, okay, I'm standing here. Um, and, um, uh, I have nothing. I have, I just went to the mac st I went to the Apple store and he has bought a new iPhone and a new MacBook and I have, uh, hopefully my, you said one password? Is that what you said?
Sue Peterson: Yes,
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. So hopefully you know your one password master password.
Sue Peterson: I do, but I don't have the recovery key or whatever they call it, because my safe burned down.
W. Curtis Preston: well, you shouldn't, well, again, I don't, I don't use one password, I use Dash lane. But the way, um, the way I would think it worked, the, the way I would think it would work.
Sue Peterson: They have no way to get into anything. If you lose that megalong key, they tell you to print it out and put it in the safe. And I think I,
W. Curtis Preston: I
Sue Peterson: as far as I can tell, one password is my key. How do I, how do I,
W. Curtis Preston: I, I'm different than other, that that's, yeah. I thi willing to guess that that's what I would call a recovery key. Right. Which should again, I'm sorry. I should cuz I'm not a one password customer should only be necessary if you forgot your. Master password, I'm pretty sure, right? Um,
Sue Peterson: password, I would not forget, but setting it up on a
W. Curtis Preston: so the, by, what's your, what's your master password? Tell Sue what's your, um, so, but yeah, so, so the theoretically, so the, so one password should have an MFA set up, right?
Sue Peterson: right.
W. Curtis Preston: Um, But then what's the pro? But how do you get, and I know we're trying to, on it depends on how mfa Yeah. We're, we're trying to solve the problem, but I, but I'm just sort of walking through this is sort of what you have to do. So, and the only way you're gonna know it for sure is to go try it once basically. Um, essentially,
Sue Peterson: when I set it up on a new, new box, I need the secret key.
W. Curtis Preston: yeah. So, um, so really, so you're saying that when you set it up, Uh, when you go to use, um, one password on a new laptop or whatever,
Sue Peterson: I need that secret key.
W. Curtis Preston: you need the secret key.
Sue Peterson: You do. You need your, you need your master password, your username, and the secret key. That's probably the equivalent of like two factor authentication, right?
W. Curtis Preston: You've got the, you got the one password question.
Sue Peterson: Their solution is to give a, um, friend Uh, key. Yep. State. That's exactly what I was thinking. You give it to someone else who doesn't live anywhere near you. They can't do any harm with just the recovery key, right? Cuz they don't know the master password and they can always give it back to you later. But then I need to find somebody who wants that responsibility and who is trust. I have people that I trust utterly, but that's a lot of responsibility to put on somebody. yep.
W. Curtis Preston: You can give it the, give it the Prasanna. He's a pretty responsible guy. Um,
Sue Peterson: willing to pay for the privilege.
W. Curtis Preston: we'll be your we'll be your key escrow service. Um, not be a bad business, you know? yeah. Might
Sue Peterson: I seriously.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. The um,
Sue Peterson: Seriously,
W. Curtis Preston: That is a, yeah. So I'm gonna have to go research the one password thing with ay.
Sue Peterson: please do.
W. Curtis Preston: Um, there should be, um, there should be a, well, there is a way to basically move your authy vault onto another thing. Most of the MFA stuff for, for this level of, of stuff is often built into a device, which in this case it would be your new phone that you just bought. Because, right. And so you'd have to see what that looks like. Um, so just grab your husband's phone and set it on fire and then, um, you know, see see what that's like. See how that, see how that goes. Um, don't do it to
Sue Peterson: talking about getting a new phone
W. Curtis Preston: if he wants. If any of you get a new phone, this is the time to try to think. Right? So with Athie, What I know that is Authy recommend. So it regularly backs up my, my Vault and it regularly asks me, prompts me to, um, for the password to that vault,
Sue Peterson: drives
W. Curtis Preston: which I also store in, um, in Dash Lane, which I'm not using othe for. So, so by the way Dash lane, the way Dash lane works is, um, That they would need, they would, they would send, uh, like if everything was dead, they would send a text to my phone to authenticate that device for, um, for that you would need the password and be able to respond at that number. Um, now I, now I gotta go. I gotta go find that out. I gotta find that out for my own thing. Well, and this is the thing, is why I really like the of it. Yeah.
Sue Peterson: I think you guys got me down this rabbit hole.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. Yeah. Well, this is, this is what's, so you got, we got you thinking about it. Now you got us thinking about it. I, I, which is why I thought this would make a great episode. Everybody should think about this. Think about the stuff, the, all these key managers that you have, right? So you have things like othe, Google Authenticator. Um, you know, one password, hopefully not last pass. Um, because of, you know, all the, all the fun that they're going through right now. I think we've got a good idea of this problem for sure. Um, so now we just need to go get the solution. Uh, so we talked about, so we have crash plan, we have Dropbox, we have one password, we have Authe.
Sue Peterson: Yeah.
W. Curtis Preston: Um,
Sue Peterson: And ay are my
W. Curtis Preston: yeah. R you're talking ayq.net. Right.
Sue Peterson: yes. Yes. Sorry.
W. Curtis Preston: Okay, so you're, you're, so, just, just to make sure I understand, you, you are an ssy.net customer because of this podcast.
Sue Peterson: It is your fault.
W. Curtis Preston: Do you hear that people over there we're just making money left and right for other people? Well, with that, Sue, uh, I want to, uh, thank you very much for coming on and giving us problems and, uh, and, but you, you have to wait until we record the answer episode and then we'll put it out and then you'll have the answer to all your problems.
Sue Peterson: I I certainly hope so.
daniel-curtis: I think we need to bring on Daniel, what do you think? Um, you know, yeah. Uh, you know, he, we, we've talked about him a lot. We've had him on the pod. Uh, he, he's an interesting, he's an interesting individual that, uh, you know, he is, he. You know, he's professional. He's a marketing communications specialist, but he also loves backups. Uh, he's, he's, he lives in Israel, but he has an Irish accent. Uh, he's been, he's been a guest on the pod. You've heard if you list, if you're a fan of the pod, you've heard us reference him a time or two. Uh, it's our very own backup anorak Daniel Rosehill. How's it going, Daniel?
Daniel Rosehill: Hi Curtis. Thank you for having me back on the podcast.
daniel-curtis: You know what, uh, we're super, we, we talk about you all the time,
daniel-pras: I think I name drop him. Yeah. Anytime. It's like, hey, we should be like, I think you've come up so many times with when it comes to MDIs, right? I know you're the one who sort of pointed us in that direction, been like, Hey, have you guys heard of MDIs? Right. And for archiving.
daniel-curtis: the way, Daniel, our single most popular two episodes are the one where you and I I talked about M disk and when we had the, the founder of M Disk on there.
Daniel Rosehill: I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm actually com completely flabbergasted to hear that because I, I've been working on the assumption until this point that I'm keeping, I'm, I'm the sole reason that the m disks are still being produced. Keep keeping the company in business.
daniel-curtis: You know, it is interesting. There are those who are like, oh, this is the greatest thing ever. There are those who are like, oh, well it's just the same as that. And there are those who are like, good. It's complete nonsense. And, um, it is, it is. Um, It is concerning, right, that there's just like one vendor that's producing the disks and they could decide tomorrow they're like, for some reason we sell a whole bunch of these in Jerusalem. But other than that, we don't sell very
daniel-pras: Stockpile stockpile. It's funny. So Daniel, I started thinking about, okay, what should I be doing for my data as well? And started looking at M disk and went down that rabbit hole and. I found a deal on Amazon because I was like, most of the time they're fairly expensive. I ended up ordering it. You have to be really careful because a lot of times you'll end up with Blu-ray discs and not M disk, which are two different types of media. You really want the M disk for your archival media, and so I have not continued down and found a deal yet, so I am waiting to back up my data.
Daniel Rosehill: Interesting. I, I, I think we were talking on, on Twitter Prasanna as, as we sometimes do, and, uh, I believe you're asking me whether I have a backup to the writer. And then I realized there was a, there was actually a crucial gap in my m disk, uh, backup strategy. Um, but as, as, as, as Curtis mentioned, the m disk is the most unusually polarizing topic out there, like people on. Spread for whatever reason, are convinced that m disk is nonsense. I, I, I haven't yet seen anyone really sort of come with cohesive proof to say why MDI is, uh, is, it's all, its claims are false, but there does seem to be people out there with vendetta. I think Curtis has noticed the same thing. So I, I'm mostly just leaving them to, to be.
W. Curtis Preston: Yeah. Well, I think, I think you pick any topic and you go on Reddit, you will find somebody who thinks that topic is Right? So Sue has given us this question Prasanna. Uh, it's the whole, you know, we're calling it the bootstrap question, right? we always talk about, yeah, how do you get your data back? But it's like, what do you do before you could get your data back? Like what's step zero? Well, if this was, I, I think we can agree that if this was a company that we're talking about, um, and she is talking about a company, right? Um, she she was talking about right, yeah. She was about come. Yeah, but I. was a company that we're talking about you, you should absolutely be having this conversation and, and I would think it would be easier to have for a company than for a person. it because I know we that will. I think the challenge with the company is you don't necessarily know where all your data is or all the systems, you kind have all these siloed groups who have different responsibilities. So I know Curtis, you and I had previously talked about a shipping company that got hit with ransomware. Right. And they lost active directory servers and they didn't have a backup of those. Right. And they just happened to find one system that. Was out of sync. Right. I believe was the case And was able to recover that. Correct? Yeah. Well, yeah. Oh yeah. That, that was the, that was that, that huge hack and basically they, it, it was a, it was a, it was a fortunate storm, so it was a storm had taken one of their active directory service offline, and so it wasn't online when someone hacked and destroyed active directory. And so, but they didn't have a backup of ACT directory, but they just had one domain controller that was offline, thankfully. And they were able to bring it back on and, you know, and then they went, and then they went out. That's just a crazy, crazy story. Um, I, I think what I meant, and, uh, Daniel, you know, jump in here, um, what I meant was, There are pro if you don't know where your stuff is, you're right. Prasanna, and, and, and probably it's, it's, it's easier to not know where your stuff is if you're a company, but there are products that you can buy and there are, uh, usually Right. Um, cuz I just got, I just got done editing the last pass episode where, you know, I was really hard on them for using a homegrown backup product. And you were saying, well, Sometimes that's all you can get even when you're a company. But generally speaking, there's a product that you can buy or a service that you can buy, and um, There's, of buying the right products and services. also the other case that those tools are usually intended for having multiple people administer a system, right? So, unlike right, like you're gonna, you're not just gonna trust the entire keys to your kingdom to one single person, right person that sits by a bus. What do you do? Great. it always that? Why can't it be they won the lottery and moved to Bahamas? Nah, because then that makes it why is it a, why is it always gotta be Daniel? I don't know. What do you, what do you think here? I mean, you, you, you heard the, you heard Sue's question. Um, you know, how, how ba how bad off are we here?
Daniel Rosehill: Well, Curtis, I, I think the situation is probably best described as catastrophic in the world of personal backup. There, there is absolutely nothing and, you know, unless you take sort of active personal protection measures, uh, you know, all your data just sitting out there in the cloud, and I think the scenario Sue was talking about is something that could, I mean, it could happen to anyone in any personal context. Right. I've, I've certainly been. You could, uh, get drunk and your phone falls into the, the river or the sea, cuz I know you guys are on the West Coast. So really if you spend your time thinking about it, this is really sort of a fast track to insanity because you realize how ter incredibly vulnerable, pretty much all of us are. And it's just a case of how can you reduce that vulnerability just a small bit.
daniel-curtis: Thank you very much. Everybody come in. Take I, I thought maybe you'd give us a little bit of hope, Daniel, that that sounds bad.
daniel-pras: Yeah.
Daniel Rosehill: I mean, it, it, it's a, it's a bad situation, but, you know, I think that the, the backup anac community right now is, is very small. But, you know, you guys doing this podcast are spreading, spreading awareness, and I think it, it's gonna take a lot more people asking questions and poking flaws in the sort of backup and recovery approach of a lot of these, um, a lot of these companies, you know, especially stuff like two factor authentication. Now that it's sort of so essential. Um, but there are still some services that, you know, you really, if you get locked, it's quite easy to get locked out of for good and that kind of huge ramifications for people.
Prasanna Malaiyandi: One of the things, just speaking about that, right? So after talking to Sue, I started looking and being like, Hey, what do I do? Because for me, if I don't have access to my Apple id, everything kind of breaks. Right. And so I was like, how do I get access? And so I looked and about 10 years ago I'd created a recovery key because it was like a 20 digit key that Apple had at the time. Turns out they no longer use those and they never tell you about it. So, but luckily with newer versions of iOS, you could actually create a recovery contact, which a lot of other services use as well, right? Where you can say, Hey, if I don't have access and I can't do two-factor authentication, here's someone else that I trust that you can send my key to. Or at the code two verification code, and then I can get it from them. So it's not like you're, because I know Curtis, one of the things we've talked about is, Hey, you've lost your phone with Sue, right? It's like, Hey, you've lost your phone. You can no longer get two-factor authentication. How do I even get into my password manager in order to be able to get that first bit of data back? Right? The password. So then I can actually get into my actual data vaults.
daniel-curtis: Well, the, the one with the, the password manager, I feel was the one where, To me, that's where it all starts for me personally, right? You talked about I need Apple, I need access to Apple, and I agree, right? I need access to Apple, or I need access to this service and that service and that service. Well, those are all passwords. That without my password manager, I am gonna have no idea how to get into Right. And in order to, for many of them, I can recover my password if I can log into Gmail, which I won't be able to log in without my password manager. Right? So for me, the password, I, I think the password manager is where you start. And um, and I think that's what concerned me most about Sue's story was that she needed. What was it that she said she needed?
daniel-pras: it's, it's two things. So it's a key file and it's the password,
daniel-curtis: right, so she actually has to, she has a file that she has to back up. So to me that's a catch 20 for the thing that starts all the things. What do you think, Daniel? It, it seems like that's a catch 22. That's unacceptable.
Daniel Rosehill: Right. I think that, you know, um, what Prasanna said is, is, is really essential for anyone looking for a password manager. So I don't, uh, you know, Don't, don't, don't try to hack me after this, it, it may be true that I use Bit Warden and I was looking at sort of what options they have for recovery today. It's one of these, it's kind of more geared towards open source and whatever, and they have, it's pretty decent. You can sort of configure an email address and a phone number and you've got various layers of recovery. That if you get locked out. So that's one of the better ones. But I've definitely, I know there's a lot of password managers on the market, especially when you're talking about sort of Sue's situation, more complicated ways of authentication. You'd see in the enterprise environment, uh, you know, you need to have these, because, you know, if you're sitting in a hotel room trying to get access in a different country, it's just way too complicated to go fishing out sort of. Uh, key files or credentials or, or code samples. It's just not gonna happen. Um, the, the other thing that, you know, I, I was thinking, uh, Curtis, as you mentioned, the sort of password manager as being the basis, uh, for everything. And I think the other. Thing that we're seeing at the moment in personal IT world is with this, uh, you know, single sign on that you create accounts with services through your Apple ID or Google, and that's making the Google a choke, a choke point that if you got locked into your Google now you got locked out of everything. So it's a big vulnerability. I actually ran into it. I was traveling two years ago and I got locked outta Google because I was logging in from different hotels in the us and it, you know, it, the IP pattern detect flagged me as a whatever it thought my account. And it was a really, really difficult, uh, situation to get my account access back. And if I didn't, it just kind of occurred to me that, okay, it would've been locked out of Google, which would've been catastrophic, would've lost all my emails, all my calendar, everything. I also would've probably been lost. Locked out of everything that I authenticated through Google. So the password manager is crucial and uh, whatever that sort of second layer is that you're authenticating different services through is also
daniel-curtis: That's an interesting point that you brought up, uh, Daniel, because I had recently started thinking that maybe because I have like 700 accounts, On various websites. And I started thinking that maybe I should use the Google, you know, just log in with Google, uh, instead of having yet another account. And I never really thought about the fact until just now, because like if this happened with Okta, If you were a company, and this happened with Okta, you have a tech support line that you can call in and you can say, Hey, I'm paying you, you know, this much money a month for my company. Fix me. Right? But this is your free Google account. You know, there's, there's, if you get locked out, you can get locked out. You know, there are stories of people that get permanently locked out of accounts like this. Uh, and that, that is a real mess. So I, I think so. I, I think you brought up a really good point, Daniel, but let's, if we go back to the password manager, I think that, um, uh, you, you, you mentioned Daniel, you mentioned of like, if this is for a, maybe a company where you might want to have a second level of mfa. Uh, uh, I just, I, I think because the question here is, Is that doomsday situation where you've lost everything, right? You've lost your phone, you've lost your servers, you've lost your computers, you've lost whatever, and you have to start from scratch. Right? To me, there's definitely a fine line between, at some point we do want to able to authenticate, and it just sounds like in Sue's situation. That her password manager has a catch 22 that if she loses that file, she will never get back into her password manager. Doesn't that, that just seems wrong to me.
Daniel Rosehill: Yeah, I mean, I've, I played around with, with, uh, with a few different pastor managers, but I think that that's, that's key is the sort of recovery functions. And I think that if. Anyone building a password manager for the enterprise or for personal it use has to think about these sort of catastrophes, right? I mean, it's a product made for backup and disaster recovery. It's, it's in the name that you should anticipate they're being disasters, uh, like, like the phone falling into the, so, um, I think that any, any backup, any password manager. I use one I like. I also used Oy for a while. And actually it's funny, uh, Curtis, I had the exact same situation that you did. Um, I don't want to sort of disparage Google Authenticator, but whatever. I got into the situation like you did that I had to manually recreate every single two factor key. Um, and I was like, how is this not a feature that Google Authenticator can back itself up to some file, which you could recover from? And then I. You know, a search got me onto Oy, so it's weird. You, you, I think you kind of have to sort of audit all these systems. Like that to me is just such a no-brainer feature. You'd expect someone on Google will be like, well, we need to like roll out a backup thing.
daniel-pras: Yeah, I, I think I still wanna go back to. The shared responsibility, right? If you can find someone else, like in Sue's case, right? If she had another IT person, right, who had the same access, and it doesn't have to be the same credentials, right? They could have their own key file, whatever else, but have access to the same vault, right? They could then help her recover, right? And so I think always having that, and now I know in the personal side it gets a lot. More difficult because no one ever thinks about that, right? No one's like, Hey, I need to make sure this other person has access to my data as well in case, and that's why many of these cloud providers, right, apple, Google, meta, right, they're all either doing recovery contacts or other mechanisms because they realize that people are getting locked out. And it's hard to differentiate between sort of locked out because of access, like an account takeover process or locked out because I forgot something, or I did something incorrect and got locked outta my account. Or forgot the password.
Daniel Rosehill: Right.
daniel-curtis: Yeah, as long as I, I, I just, there are, there you, you need to think about the scenarios that you're trying to protect from, right? Lost phone, uh, house burned down. Um, and you need to, you need to go to your vendor. While your house isn't burned down and your phone isn't lost, and say, what is, I think this is my general right? You just have to work your, work your way back from, okay, so I have my servers backed up with this technology, whatever it is, whether I think it should be a cloud service. The smaller you are, the more a cloud service makes sense. Whether you're, whether you're, I mean, if you're, you know, if you're a giant company and you got 50 exabytes of data, it's gonna be a little difficult to back that up with a cloud service. But if, if you're, you know, on the opposite end, if you're one person with one phone, super easy, right? So, so the closer you are to one person, one phone, uh, the easier it is to back up, uh, via the cloud. And, uh, anyway, I digress. Pick the thing that you're gonna. Back up with and then say, okay, I'm gonna back up with this. And, and in a, in a wipe out scenario, I'm going to, I need, I'm going to, I have to restore this. This is my, this is my, whatever it is, my most important thing. And what do I need to restore that? And then, You say, okay, I need, well, all I really need is my password. Well then now it's the password manager is the other thing, is the next thing that, that I have to do first. And if in the case of Sue, you need two things to recover your password manager, then how do we get those two things protected?
Daniel Rosehill: I think that makes a lot of sense and I think that, uh, people who are really interested in this personal protection stuff can take a lot of cues from what, you know, the stuff that you guys are doing in your, in your jobs, working in the enterprise professional environment, right? Because. You guys have stuff like recovery plans that are documented and everything is sort of planned. So I think probably a useful thing for anyone to do, as you said, Curtis, it's, you know, all this stuff is really, really about preventative, right? Once you're in that situation, if you're trying to speak to a human at Google, you're already in a world of pain and frustration. So you know what someone could do. Let's say listening to this podcast is say, What would happen today if I lost my phone? Right? So how are you gonna get access back to your, uh, to your, uh, to your passwords, to your two factor credentials if they're stored in different apps? Um, and you can even just, you know, open a Google Doc and write out a little recovery plan for yourself based on all those scenarios. Um, I don't, I don't really have any thoughts on sort of when it's too late and you don't have a good system for recovery because, you know, as, as I've experienced and so many people experience, It's surprisingly easy to get something like an IP hopping block, get locked outta Google. There's no one to speak to. Uh, so it's really, you know, if you're depending on these services, you really need to be one step ahead. Uh, and I think something like sort of a, a, a plan, uh, as if you were a backup admin for a company, uh, documenting it is, is probably the best approach.
daniel-pras: I, I was just as you were talking about this, Daniel, I like the document effort. Right. Or exercise, because that way you can try to identify Okay, where are there gaps? I was just going back, Curtis, do you remember, uh, the person we had who talked about disaster planning? Right. And this is more from, uh, environmental disaster, right. Situation. Right. How do you protect your envi or
daniel-curtis: Virginia Nichols, the single Most animated guest we ever had. Yes. She focuses on the stuff we don't focus on, which is, you know, how do you get, you know, how do you get services back, right? How do you get the, the things that you need as a human being? Uh, you need all that stuff first. And so she probably, Is better at thinking of those of the, of the catch 22 situations. You're right. Yeah. That's a good episode. We'll put, we'll put a link to that episode
daniel-pras: and I was just thinking also like the same process she had talked through, right. That applies even for all of these like technology and your data as well. Right? It's just a subset of that. Right. Because I know she talked about, do you have your passport? Do you have cash? Do you have gas in your card? Do you have food? Right. All these sort of essentials, if you will, right. Life essentials. Now we're just going down to the next level. It's like, okay, now your data, how do you get your data back?
Daniel Rosehill: I think Curtis is also, um, probably something in that as well, that it's very difficult when you're trying to think of stuff like, you know, disaster recovery and, and the things that we don't wanna think about to actually do a good job, uh, with yourself. And maybe, maybe that's another thing that, that, you know, people could do is actually, maybe let's say you have a partner or a wife or whatever, you could, you could sort of go through these scenarios to one another. If you, if this happened to you, what would you do? Um, rather than just kind of trying to envision all these possibilities yourself. Fun, fun, uh, dinnertime conversation topic, right?
daniel-curtis: yeah, I think, I think, you know, a good time. I, I just had this idea a good time to test your , your idea. So you get your idea and you get a plan. A great time to test that plan is, when you get a new device, right, you get a new Mac, you get a new iPhone, you get a new Android device, you get a new pixel, whatever it is, at that moment, you can pretend like you just lost your phone, right? Because, because they make it really easy when you buy. I know, I know I haven't had an Android for a while, but I know when you get a new iPhone, the easiest way to move over to a new iPhone is to, um, Just have the other iPhone and it'll transfer the data directly from that iPhone. And I'm saying don't do that. I'm saying, um, pretend like you lost your iPhone and see what recovering that process is like. Um, I think that in the case of personal password managers or very small business password managers, where it's a single person in a single account, you will, um, there has to ultimately be a person. Who is the, the MFA sponsor? So with a typical password manager there is like, for example, my wife and I share a password manager for a while. We were paying for Dash Lane twice. And then I realized, well this is dumb. We, you know, it's not like we need to keep account secret from another. So, so we just have one dash lane account, which is also how I ended up having 700, 700 accounts cuz you know, there's all her accounts plus all my accounts. But,
daniel-pras: that she has and then the 650 you have.
daniel-curtis: do you
Daniel Rosehill: is this the truth, Curtis, are you, um, are, are, are, are you hiding something from us? Is there, is, is there a secret site Password manager?
daniel-curtis: there's just, there's just a lot. There's a lot of accounts out there. I don't know. I don't know why I have so many accounts anyway.
Daniel Rosehill: I have, I have to actually say that, that that is a really, really good idea. We're, we're, we're, we're talking today about sort of like advanced stuff and Right. If, if we have a recovery, that's the most sort of simple but effective way of delegation is just to share an account. I, I also share some credentials with my wife or like, Netflix, whatever. And, you know, if someone's in hospital or asleep, that that's, that's actually a great, a great system. Um, I mean, and of course you can also have your joints.
daniel-curtis: If you have a partner, a spouse, it's, it's super easy to do. And then, uh, even a friend, it's just gotta be a really good friend, right? Cuz you're not gonna keep any secrets from him. The, the, um, but my point is that there is an ultimate arbiter of the account and this, and, and in other words, my phone number is the one that is the. If, if all, you know, if the feces hits a rotary oscillator and we lose both of our, uh, devices authenticating from the very beginning, it would have to be done with the phone number that's attached to the account. Right. Um, and the email address that's attached to the account. And that one would be mine. Right. Um, but
daniel-pras: your phone, you lost your sim, you don't have you got locked out of your email account?
daniel-curtis: Well, well, it would have to be both of us because my wife could authenticate if I got a new device, I could easily authenticate, um, with, with my, because what the way it worked, their MFA with Dashlane, it pops it up on other devices that are currently running Dashlane. Right. But we'd have to lose all devices. So in my case it would be, I'd have to lose my laptop, both phones, the iPads. This would be a very bad day for the Preston household. So really that's what it comes back to, that that, that basically goes back to what I said before, is decide what your ultimate sort of final or begin, you know, it's the final thing, but it's like the beginning thing. In a recovery scenario, what's the thing that you're going to use? Is it an email account? Is it, um, your othe password? Is it your password manager? Password? Um, figure out what that is. Pick the thing that you're gonna do and just remember, you've got to remember that password, uh, to that thing.
daniel-pras: Yeah. And that, that's kind of what I do. Like when I was talking about my Apple environment, right? That's the one password. So I know two passwords, my apple password and my password manager password, right? Those are the two passwords that
daniel-curtis: that's what I have.
daniel-pras: Yeah. Uh, but.
Daniel Rosehill: do you guys think, do you guys think that there's any possibility that in like 10 years time we're gonna have like, implantable chips with like, you know, human based authentication?
daniel-curtis: It's gonna be biometric. There's no silver bullet here. But you have any final thoughts?
Daniel Rosehill: I think the conclusions, um, we've, we've come to make a lot of sense, Curtis, that. Um, you know, it proactivity, uh, going in ahead, thinking about it beforehand, thinking, I like the idea that, you know, you're, you're gonna write the dash lane. Um, and actually sort of like ask hard questions of these people because that's what their, you know, support teams and customer success teams are, are there for. Um, and just putting the thinking in before you get to these problematic scenarios because I think no one wants to be in the position Sue was in, uh, trying to deal with recovery cuz it's just so much more messy. I'm I'm trying not to be too, too decisive cuz I'm gonna get an email in like six months being like, I did what you said and I'm locked out.
daniel-pras: Well, and so, and so, Daniel, for this, for this, since you brought up that point, I would say the one thing is once you've thought of it and you've documented how you would recover, go test it out, right? Make sure it actually works. Make sure that you don't have any gaps, right? That you can recover. And I like your example, Curtis. Imagine that you're starting from a clean slate, right? No devices, nothing. What do you do?
daniel-curtis: You know, another way to do that is if you're like me, you have a couple of old phones sitting around, um, take out one of those and pretend it's your new phone. And then recover, pretend that your other phone is completely dead and you're not allowed to reach to your phone. Right. Um, that's, that's the only thoughts I have. I'm gonna just gonna go back to what I said. Just work your way back from, I have to recover this, so recover this, I need this, recover this, I need this. And ultimately, just make sure that whatever that is, you have a very easy plan. To get that back when, you know, the, the, whatever the worst happens, uh, that could possibly happen. So. Well, I'm glad, I'm glad we had this conversation. I'm, you know, I'm not sure we had good answers, but I, I think this is a good planning question. Right. What, you know, this is a, like you said, being proactive. Daniel, uh, you know, I, I agree with you, Daniel, your general thoughts. Which is, there's not a lot of good options for consumers. There's also not a lot of good options for small businesses. Like, like truly small. What I call this, this is a Curtis category. You know, we have the SMB category, right? The a Curtis category is called the tsb, the, the truly small businesses, right? Right. So the literally the mom and pops. Um, there, there's not a lot of options there. Uh, but there are services, right? That are, I've been testing one. Uh, we'll talk about it later on, on another, uh, podcast. Uh, we'll talk about it later on another episode. And, um, there's, there's no perfect answers. I hope we helped Sue. Um, you know, I, I'm sure
Daniel Rosehill: I just wanna also make clear, Curtis, that the advice offered here doesn't come with any warranty. So any, any, anyone, anyone who actions, any advice they heard on this, on this episode or the podcast in general, absolutely should not, uh, reach out to any of us by email with complaints. You're, you, you, you are on your own. But, uh,
daniel-curtis: You're on, you're on your own, and you might not be able to reach out to us via email because you don't have your password to your email. Uh, so with that, um, I want to, uh, thank the listeners and remember to subscribe so that you can restore it all.