Mia Hobbs: Hello, and welcome to the Why I Knit podcast. My name is Dr. Mia Hobbs and I'm a clinical psychologist who's passionate about knitting and its benefits for our mental well being. Each week I interview a different knitter about why they knit and how it benefits their mental health. This week on the podcast I'm talking to LJ who is a yarn Dyer who owns rusty ferret yard. Hi, LJ, welcome to the podcast.
LJ: Hi, Mia. How are you doing?
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, I'm good. Thank you. I always start by asking where your story with knitting began. So I'd be really interested to hear where yours started.
LJ: I suppose really, my grandma was a beginner. And she tried to teach me. But she always got really annoyed with me. So she never really properly taught me. But she was always knitting, around me. It wasn't until I went to university. And I don't know if I like blocked out these memories or whatever. But I just remember picking up the knitting. And when I was really struggling mentally, it was mentally. And I needed something to do with my hands. I thought oh knitting looks cool. And at the time, Pinterest wasn't really a thing, but like Tumblr, and that and there was a lot of really cool little, little things. I could do that. So kind of picked up then and ever since. It's kind of been my, I suppose coping mechanism for just being in the world. Like a security blanket. So yeah, that was kind of what it started. And it's just escalated from there. Really? Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: So you think it was Do you think maybe your grandma's seeing her knitting had kind of planted the seed that you had a concept of That could be something you did when you felt like you needed to do something with your hands?
LJ: Yeah, I just my family is all quite creative with the hands. My mum's my mum's was a chef and my dad's an electrician, but he tinkered with everything. So we were always kind of promoted that we are encouraged to use our hands. And yeah, so we were always encouraged to do stuff like that. And I, I don't know why none. I honestly don't know. I don't know if it was the sway of the internet. Or if it was, like some deeper memory of like, oh, yeah, I kinda know how to do that. Because my gran kinda showed me I honestly don't know.
Mia Hobbs: It's interesting that you had this idea that you felt like you were struggling mentally, and you felt doing something with your hands might help. I think sometimes people fall into it by accident. And then they realised doing something with my hands helps. And I think yeah, totally. That was true for me. I don't think I ever did it at the beginning intentionally, but I really noticed it did help.
LJ: Yeah, that's weird. Isn't that I've never thought about it like that. Um, I think I was struggling to focus in lectures as well. So I found that phones weren't what phones are now.
Mia Hobbs: Do you think it helped a bit to focus in lectures knitting? Yeah. You were struggling to focus in lectures?
Unknown: Yeah, I was struggling to focus in lectures, I was also struggling to like, like, now, what I know is anxiety to actually go to uni. So it kind of gives me something to focus on. And kind of looking back, I feel that I've got this thing with people looking at me and judging me. And I thought, well, if I'm doing something my hands or like, if I'm knitting in that. Well, they will be looking at me, but not because of bad reasons. Because I'm knitting. Yeah. So
Mia Hobbs: yeah, so it was a different focus, maybe a focus for you, and also a focus for other people.
LJ: Yeah, I think so.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, that's really interesting. And I think it in a way it also, I find it, it's a kind of focal point. So you don't have to give eye contact necessarily to people. You can be busy doing a thing, but also still listening. So if you're getting in lectures,
LJ: yeah, I was. Yeah. I mean, for a while I was playing my Nintendo DS time. But yeah, I was knitting in lectures. And I don't know when you did your degree, but the psychology degree that I did, there was like, 400 people. I mean, there was smaller. As time went on, there was smaller, like tutorials and stuff, but like were main lectures, there was a lot of people there nobody, like the lecturers didn't see you, or I don't think at that time, I would have been comfortable in myself to be like, Yeah, but it's keeping me focused. I don't think I would have stood up for myself.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah.
LJ: At that point, I would now. And when I went on, when I went on to do my second degree, it was a creative degree. So that was fine. Nobody really cared as long as I was there.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. Okay, so you knitted and people saw and that was fine. Yeah. Yeah. And was there more other people doing similar things in a creative degree or not necessarily?
LJ: I'm not really. So I went and did. So I finished my uni, and was kind of a bit lost. So I ended up at this point, I was doing loads of kind of crafts, like sewing and things. And one of my friends was like, why don't you apply to do your NQ, in textiles at the college local college, and you get paid for your year and, whatever? And say, oh, that sounds? Yeah, let's find out. Let's try that. So did that I really loved it. I really, really loved it. But I was like, 22, in a class full of 16 year olds. Okay. So I was the kind of weird one. Once I did the NQ, I did my HSC HND in textile art. A lot of people like enjoyed different creative hobbies, like, like photography, or sewing or drawing and things. I think I was the only one that really did, like, traditional handicraft, like in the crochet in that. But we were all I don't know. It was such a nice space to be in you were kind of accepted for who you are. So nobody, nobody judged. You see, I'm always concerned about being judged as really bad.
Mia Hobbs: I think we all are probably at some level. So it sounds like it felt more accepting there.
LJ: definitely
Mia Hobbs: It was fine to be the only one who did it. Yeah, do it in lectures to help you focus. Without anyone thinking that was unusual.
LJ: No. I mean, it was kind of encouraged when I was at college, because, you know, it was you were trying things and it was always encouraged to be trying to creative things, but uni, I mean, again, you'll understand, it's all about you've got loads of reading to do so there's not really the time.
Mia Hobbs: I wonder whether it's different now whether, you know, knitting or the idea of doing something with your hands to help you focus is more feels more normalised or kind of acceptable now that we all kind of realised actually humans are not meant to sit for hours on end, and just listen without doing anything. I know, that I struggle with that
LJ: It's it's hard to sit and focus and just sit and focus, I think. I suppose that's why a lot of people doodle and yeah, Tinker about and things. I know, like, now being in the knitting industry. Yeah, in the UK, I know a lot of other knitters in that, that knit in meetings and things. And it's mostly seen as very acceptable. So that's a good thing.
Mia Hobbs: I wonder whether zoom has like the pandemic has inadvertently helped that a bit. I certainly have felt more comfortable. Being in a training day and just openly knitting while I'm doing that on Zoom, then maybe I would have done to do it in person, where it was quite unknown what reaction I might get, even though 100% Feel it would help me focus to do a simple knitting thing in the background at the same time as listening to something. Yeah, I think you're right, it takes a certain amount of confidence in yourself to be able to say this does help me focus.
LJ: Yeah, exactly. It's fine. I am paying attention to you, I don't need to pay attention to the knitting. It's good.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And in terms of why you still knit now, I don't know how much you tried the other hobbies and how much you still do the other crafts or whether they knitting has kind of dominated for you.
LJ: Knitting has definitely dominated my craft, but I still sew and spin and work in sketchbooks and and and I'll do anything, I'll try any craft and I can sit with my knitting at nighttime, or I take it places like that's my kind of calm. But like sometimes I'll get the urge to go into something or I want to make something specific. And I'm like, Well, I'm going to felt that or I'm going to Yeah,
Mia Hobbs: did you think knitting is the main one you associate with being helpful from a kind of mental health mental well being kind of perspective. You said you associate that with calm.
LJ: Yeah, I, I honestly don't know why knitting. I do crochet as well. But it's always the knitting that I come back to always always, I mean, going back to kind of the comfort blanket type thing, people out somewhere in public in that it's so easy to take a wee project, like a wee sock or a glove or. I mean, I've taken big projects with me too. I'm not gonna lie. I will be that awkward one with like three bags going about. You can just take out and just sit you can focus without really focusing. So if you're uncomfortable, you can kind of retreat back into it. But if you're not you can engage with what's going on. Um, but yeah, I don't know why knitting. I really don't know why.
Mia Hobbs: So it sounds like something is really important for you that it's portable. so that you could take it out as their like safety blanket with you out into the world that sounds like that's important. And then obviously, presumably spinning and sewing maybe it's a bit more difficult to bring it with you, I guess depends on what kind of sewing it is. Yeah. I mean, there is an idea about in terms of thinking about knitting versus crochet that there's something particularly about the repetitive bilateral movements so that you're crossing the midline. I don't know, it depends how you knit actually, but because only some types of knitters cross the middle of their body, but there is an idea that, like some trauma therapy, like EMDR, I don't know whether you've heard of that. No, but it's a type of trauma therapy, where you read process trauma as you talk about a traumatic memory. And you do repetitive movements that cross the midline of the body. So that might be your eye movements, or it could be tapping like this, like with your arms crossed on your chest, and that that helps you to reprocess trauma. So there is a theory. So Betsan Corkhill has done quite a lot of research into the therapeutic benefits of knitting, that it's because it's a bilateral movement, it's a movement that kind of crosses centre of your body. So I mean, that's one theory, I suppose. But I guess everybody's different. It might not be specifically that for you.
LJ: Yeah, I mean, it's, it's hard as a me, I suppose I have a bit of a psychology background, but not nothing massive. But I always find like to go into counselling and not that. It's not until you start speaking to somebody that you're like, oh, yeah, that. That makes sense. That's, that's why I do that, or that's why that conference me a bit. So yeah. It would be difficult without actually like looking into it and going through it. But
Mia Hobbs: part of why I'm having these conversations is to hear from knitters like what is therapeutic about knitting for lots of people, because I think lots of us think it keeps us sane, or it really helps us or, you know, in different ways, and it won't be the same for all of us. But I guess that's one of the theories is about the repetitive movements in the particular action of them.
LJ: I mean, I would agree with you, I I'm definitely a process. No, I mean, I enjoy the end object. But it's definitely more about the doing than than the end thing. Yeah, I mean, the movie you something about, like the kind of rhythm of it. And it's just like, I suppose, I suppose it holds my attention as well enough to stop, or this is going to sound wild, but it stops that kind of brain noise. Yeah. Yeah. Especially if you've got like a complicated pattern, you can, like there's enough focus there to not let the intrusive thoughts come in. And you can kind of get into the rhythm and, and it kind of leads on to you feeling a lot better in that moment. So yeah, I mean, so it's actually
Mia Hobbs: a bit of like, the knitting pattern has to be complicated enough to use enough of your brain power ought to focus it on that in the hearing now and not to let it freelance over, you know, and look for things to be worried about, or Yeah, yeah. ruminative loops to get trapped in.
LJ: I tend to go for I'm not, I don't like pain socks. Okay. Yeah. They're not my favourite. I, they're too plain. Okay. Yeah. I mean, I will knit a sock. But I find them to plain. And I will do like a lacy kind of sock or something interesting. And that's funny how you say about having a pattern that's just complicated. I've never thought about that before. But you're right. I do tend to go for patterns, I've got something I have to focus on, but not too much that I can't take out and about with me or watch the TV or do other things with
Mia Hobbs: I would have multiple on the go at once. I'd have a take everywhere, easy sock or a hat or something and then a more complicated one that when I need to deliberately turn off the noise in my brain and focus on the knitting.
LJ: I mean, we've all got several projects on the go. nothing to be ashamed about.
Mia Hobbs: No, but I think I deliberately strategize in terms of process a bit like you like that it's about the product what I'm going to be doing when I'm doing it rather than the end result necessarily. Yeah, totally.
LJ: And also, I mean, I don't know about you, but that actual process leading up to the knitting like picking your yarn, picking your pattern winding your yarn, picking your needles that. Yeah, I enjoy that part of the process as well.
Mia Hobbs: And is there anything about that that's therapeutic. I suppose I'm interested in like, are there certain I don't know stitch patterns you gravitate towards are there times when you feel like you want to be I don't know spending time with certain colours. Obviously you're a yarn Dyer as well. So I'm sure colour is a big thing for you. I don't know. Well, is there anything therapeutic about all that stuff.
LJ: I'm more about the feel of things. Okay. Yeah. I mean, I do enjoy colour. But I more gravitate towards the feel of the yarn. Am I like really kind of? I am one of those snowflakes that likes the soft yarn something with a bit of interest and texture to it, I like the feeling when it goes through my hands. I'm so glad I'm speaking to a psychologist right now and not some random person.
Mia Hobbs: This is exactly what I'm interested in, because all the things that I've been thinking about in my own head and wondering like, is it you know, are there certain times you need to be sitting there with some mohair in your hands or you need to be sitting there with, you know, that part of that is the tactile experience of Yeah, like it is literally like a physical comfort blanket, but in your hands, and you're doing something with it.
LJ: Yeah, no, definitely. I completely agree with that. And
Mia Hobbs: so anything is soft and have some interesting texture.
LJ: Yeah, yeah. And I also, when I'm knitting, I enjoy like, a nice stitch pattern. Yeah. I can work
Mia Hobbs: what for you is a nice stitch pattern.
LJ: Do you know I enjoy a cable? Yeah, I enjoy something that I don't know what the word for it is. I do enjoy some lace, but not like a traditional like Shetland lace.
Mia Hobbs: Interesting. So is it I quite like a stitch pattern that I can remember for round. So it might have like six or eight processes, but I can either read them in the knitting. So I don't have to look back at the pattern all the time. Or I can remember it for that row or round and then learn a new one for the next one. I don't know whether you're similar or so I don't know that I would love a lace pattern. I had to look at the pattern constantly that every stitch, for example. No,
LJ: no, I completely agree with that's kind of where my head was going.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, I don't know enough about Shetland lace to know what that means. Exactly. Is it complicated?
LJ: July it's probably not I haven't done any Shetland lace knitting. But I was kind of meaning the, you know, the big white baby blanket. Shetlandy Lace, I think I think it's more about the thickness of the yarn than the pattern I could be wrong and I will have complaints. But yeah, just I'd like something that looks good. And as you say something that's easy to kind of memorise but not too easy. Just enough to, like when you're sitting knitting every round, or like garter stitch. It's, I find that very, it's maybe too. It's maybe too easy. Yeah. Whereas if you kind of throw in like a lace chart or something, I find that quite nice colourwork's also really good for kind of keeping you going, I suppose. Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: So it sounds like this zone, where knitting could be too easy. And then it's not doing enough of the work of helping your brain switch off from stressful thing. Yeah, it could be too hard that it feels I don't know, a bit tedious and annoying. And there's a zone in the middle, where it's the right level of challenge that it can occupy your brain enough to give you a bit of a rest from rumination, let's say and not challenge you too much that it puts you off.
LJ: Yeah. I mean, I do like a really challenging pattern. I do. But that is once in a while. And I complain the whole time. Just like why did why did I choose this one? Oh, I just did a big brioche shawl it's the blooming brioche by Xandy Peters. And oh, my goodness, or just, I don't know why I did that to myself. It's beautiful. And I'm really pleased with how it turned out. But I was looking at that chart every single roll. Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. So challenge. I haven't ventured into brioche, actually, that's on my list of something I want to do, but I haven't yet.
LJ: You should give it a go. It's definitely something that you need to stick at. Because it does. It's not. It's not intuitive to start with. I didn't find but once you get it, you're like, ah, that makes sense.
Mia Hobbs: Okay, and this sense of achievement of doing Yeah,
LJ: totally. Oh, I can't do that. That. That's I'm good. I can do things.
Mia Hobbs: Do you think that's something knitting gives you like the sense of achievement because Oh, definitely helpful with you know, all of our kind of mental well being is getting that boost of Oh, I did this thing? And I guess Yeah, and also you can see and hold and show people.
LJ: Yeah, I also like him. I don't want to say this as like, narcissistic or anything, but I quite like when you finish something and people are like, that's really cool. I feel like, oh thank you. Just
Mia Hobbs: I don't think that's narcissistic at all
LJ: to it. It's like the insecurities of myself. I'm just like, Why did something good oh So yeah, it kind of feeds into that really? And is that
Mia Hobbs: something you mainly knitting garments or things you would wear? are you knitting things you would keep yourself or give away?
LJ: I knit everything and anything. Mostly, like back was a couple years ago, I had a shop. So a lot of my knitting was for the shop. But I closed that two years ago. And Hindsight is a great thing when the pandemic and I kind of felt a bit lost because I was doing all this kind of showing off yarn knitting and then I was like, Oh, what, so now it's like, back to knitting things for me. Yeah. And I'm like, but That's an added boost that knitting gives you when you give I don't need six shawls. Do I? I don't know. So I've kind of started knitting for for family and friends and things. Yeah. I crochet Cinderella doll for my, like, one year old niece, and I got a message from her mum going. it's her favourite thing ever. Oh, my God. I'm so happy. Yeah. it Yeah, when people like it. Yeah. Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: I guess that was one of my questions. Really, that was on my list about whether it affects your mental health when it's the finished article, as well as just the process. It sounds like you're a lot about the process. But you Yeah, something from the end result to either because people compliment you when you're wearing your lovely jumper or your shawl or you give it away and then people say nice things
LJ: yeah, people enjoy it. Yeah. It's nice when people enjoy it. And I've I mean, as most crafters know, you find out who likes it and who doesn't like it. And you end up only making for them like my mum, I make notes for my mom. She's like, my number one fan. And she always gets so excited no matter how ghastly it turns out. But yeah, it's a really nice feeling when you can make something for somebody. And I feel like as well. So I have depression winner. And sometimes when you're in that, that dark space, and I knit all the time when I'm not doing other things. So like when, like, my friends have recently moved house. And like I've made them housewarming gifts. And that was something that I could do, instead of having to sit on the internet and overthink. Like, oh, what would be the perfect thing for their new house? Well, maybe they've got too much stuff, but everybody could use a pair of slippers, right? So it kind of it kind of helps with that uselessness as well, that feeling of uselessness that you are doing something productive? And then you can
Mia Hobbs: other times? So even when you're feeling low? Are you able to knit?
LJ: Always?
Mia Hobbs: You are okay.
LJ: Yeah. Um, I don't know if it is because over, it's been so long now that I just understand that, that kind of keeps me grounded and kind of not in my head. Yeah, that I'm just like, well, that's a no brainer, really just go and get your knitting and sit for a bit. So like, if I wake up, and I'm like, oh, today is not a good day, I will tend to sit with my knitting and a cup of tea for like an hour or so just to kind of instead of writing the whole day off, and it's something new that I've learned that it's okay to just I mean, the joys of being self employed, right? I am lucky that I can do that. But to be able to sit where your net and just bring yourself like wake yourself up and shake off, whatever you've woken up with, you can focus on doing something. So you are like you're being you know, the whole you have to be productive all the time. So you're being productive. But you're also kind of soothing your brain a little bit. And then I'll go and have a shower and get my day going and things like that. So
Mia Hobbs: yeah. So it sounds like it helps you to feel you're being productive when it feels really overwhelming to do anything.
LJ: Yeah, yeah, it really does. And it's not something I've realised until recently that when you spend a lot of time on the internet, I don't know if there's like cycles of things that are shared. And a lot of it now is like you do and I assume it's because of the pandemic that people feel guilty that they're not as productive as they maybe would like to be or have been in previous years. Well, there's a lot of stuff about like, you don't have to be productive all the time or society tells you you should be productive and you're you're not less of a human if you're not productive. And I suppose the kind of the right like you are always told that you should be busy or working and and you always get praised for being busy all the time. But when you struggle, mentally, I mean, and physically but like in my cards mentally. be productive when you just literally don't Have the spoons to clean the house or whatever you have to do. So in doing a couple rows of knitting, yeah, use that quite a lot
Mia Hobbs: so that you can kind of see it and feel it like you can see the progress you made. Yeah. Other than I, you know, I don't know whether to clean the house, it always ends up getting dirty. I mean, you have a dog. Yeah. I don't mean, poodles don't tend to shed well, they don't shedSHe doesn't shed, that's one blessing
LJ: Spaniels there's hair everywhere.
Mia Hobbs: He does go to the park and get very muddy and bring it all back in the house.
LJ: Thats what you get having a white dog. But yeah, like the cleanings never ending. But you're right, being able to see the progress on the knitting. And sometimes you add wee stitch marker and to see how far you've got
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, that's a good idea.
LJ: And it's just an extra seratonin boost really.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, I think I'm, that's a good idea. Actually, I need to do. I've just done a colour work yoke. And now I've got, I'm looking down the barrel of nine inches of stockinette, which is not my favourite part of that sweater. But maybe I should put in some stitch markers so I can see my progress because it does feel like you knit and knit and it's not going anywhere
LJ: Precisely Yeah, you can and you'll be able to see like, if you're sitting in the evening, you're just like, Oh, I've done an inch instead of feeling like you've only done like three rows.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, I love going to you know, when you have to go to, you know, doctor appointment or something and you sit there and you feel like, well, this is, you know, I like to be able to see, I got everyone else has just got some time on Instagram or something on their phones, whereas I got into an of a boring cuff of a sock or something.
LJ: Definitely. doing that. Yeah. It's good to not be on your phone all the time. Although I'm on my phone all the time. I'm trying not to be
Mia Hobbs: I think everyone's on their phone all the time really, just I was gonna ask about a significant project.
LJ: I yeah, I found that really difficult. Because because I do just enjoy the process of doing it. Yeah. Nothing that kind of really.
Mia Hobbs: I suppose I wondered was there a particular time when you think oh, yeah, that I did whatever I knitted at that point was really was really memorable, or this I gave to my mum and she loved it or I don't know, something that got you through a difficult time or could be any reason for being significant. Really? Yeah, well,
LJ: recently well, last year. I'm just thinking how much not? Not how much to say I haven't said this in public, but I'm happy to say it, last year we lost marks grandad Mark being my husband, and I was very close to his granddad and he had cancer so he ended up in like palliative care. And it just wasn't a good time and there was a whole issue with family and but back when I had the shop I had started Karina Westerman or Karie Westerman And Summerisle shawl as a shop sample. And I had two skeins of my own yarn. And I had started knitting it, but for some reason it got put to the side and kind of forgotten about. But it's such a beautiful pattern that I was like, No, I want to work on that. So we Mark's Gran is practically blind and she's in a wheelchair. So we moved in to her house for a fortnight to help her out. And I was on her it was height of the pandemic so there was only one visitor into the hospital but because she was in a wheelchair I got in it's like a carer. So we would spend like two hours in the hospital. So this was kind of my hospital go to Project okay. Yeah. And Mark's granddad was all like he was so so he was just the best, like legitimately the best and we're trying not to cry. Yes. Um, and he was always like, I like I used to knit him socks because he his mum, I never met his mum. But his mum apparently was the most fantastic knitter and would hand them socks. As soon as I learned how to knit socks, I was like, the old man's getting socks. And I would give him socks. And when I shop for the shop, he got all the socks. And he was just like, he genuinely just was the best. And so I was sitting there on this project and every night because we were there every single night. You like, How far have you gone? What is it finished yet? Is it finished yet? And it would just be a bit of banter. Yeah. And then he died. And the project well, the project took a lot more yarn it should have as there's a story behind that. It's my fault. It's not the pattern. And so again, it kind of got put to one side and I kind of couldn't look at it because of the memories attached to it. But I finished it at the start of this year. I was like what kind of over Christmas start of this year, and I was like, finishing this business for the old man. And when I finished it, I was like, old, man, you'd be so proud of me. I finished it. Oh, God no cyring
Mia Hobbs: It's ok to cry!
LJ: So yeah, having that. He's there.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And you've presumably you're keeping that to remind you of that time. Oh, that's amazing LJ. It's beautiful.
LJ: It's the most beautiful. It's huge. Hence why it needed more yarn. But it's like a matter. It is a massive blanket. And I can just lovely
Mia Hobbs: and that will remind you, yeah,
LJ: just, this is really terrible. So when he was in the kind of a palliative care hospital, but he was still very, he wasn't bed bound, which was like he was still very, he was in a wheelchair like an electric wheelchair. So he would always kind of walk us out of the kind of area he was allowed to go to. And Mark's Gran would say like bye like lovely dovey kisses and everything. And I would just give him the finger and he would give me the finger back. And that's the last thing I did to him was give him the finger Oh, God.
Mia Hobbs: It sounds like there was a lot of affection in that. Swearing at each other. It was your banter with each other.
LJ: It was yeah, he was just the best. And
Mia Hobbs: yeah, and I'm sure that's what how he would have wanted it. He wouldn't have want you to suddenly would have freaked him out if you'd suddenly kissed him.
LJ: Yeah, no, that would have been. I did once.
Mia Hobbs: Thank you for sharing that.
LJ: I'm sorry that about crying. I'm like, I'm really so sentimental. No. It's one of those things. He was in a lot of pain. So
Mia Hobbs: yeah, I'm really special for that. You have that shawl to remind you. Yeah, of him, And, I'm sure he appreciated all those socks.
LJ: He did. And when we emptied his house I don't know where all the socks went Yeah, Mark was like, but you gifted it to him. So they're not yours anymore? And I was like, yep, but I made them it Feels weird. But if they've gone to the charity shop and somebody else is using them, then that's fine. Yeah. Yeah, because if
Mia Hobbs: I also wanted to ask about a knitting high and a knitting low. They don't have to be deep and meaningful. They could just be I don't know, I had the. My cable needle broke on the line. My circular needle broke when I was sitting on the tube and all of my stitches came off.
LJ: That sucks.
Mia Hobbs: But I think we've all been there similar stories. When you're
LJ: Yeah, yeah, we've all done this. And then a knitting high, let's start with a high after that sad story story. Um, that's really difficult. I feel like knitting is such a, a background activity for me that I don't. That's crazy, isn't it? It's like a background activity. But I do it all the time. But it's just more
Mia Hobbs: of any like project. When you thought when you got to the end of it, it felt like a real triumph for when you first learned to, I don't know, I remember what the first time I turned a heel. I ended up standing, staying up late like to what I am because I thought I didn't know how this is gonna turn out. I'm just gonna follow the instructions. But it's 3D.
LJ: Yeah. Yeah. How does that work? That's, can I say something more? Not about knitting itself, but more about like, the friends I've made along the way.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. of course,
LJ: as, as a child who was very badly bullied, um, I've never felt accepted. And getting into the knitting industry, especially in Scotland. I'm saying Scotland, because that's where I'm from. But I have met so many people that accept you for who you are, and are absolutely your cheerleaders the whole time. And we're all a little bit broken. So we all understand when we say no, my brains a bit mush, or various other things. So I would say my knitting high is definitely being able to call these people friends and being part of a community that we are all in on a very supportive. Yeah, I think that's definitely my knitting high.
Mia Hobbs: That's a huge thing. Yeah,
LJ: yeah. Even people I've only met a couple times. It's just, and I'm saying this from a place of privilege, for sure. But everybody's so nice. I know that our issues in the knitting community you've probably read and seen and, and it sucks, and it's like, that's not the community. I know. But I know that it exists for sure. I don't want to be that naive. But yeah, for me, I'm very grateful that I have people that are so supportive and you know, we'll send a message in be like 'are you ok chick and I'm like, no but hi! Or will send you a stupid video on Tik Tok just to me, like, I saw this and that made me laugh and make you laugh and stuff like that. So that's definitely my knitting high, for sure. Great. Um, my knitting low would be. The one thing that springs to mind because I'm working on it just now was I went to the very first Edinburgh yarn festival. Have you been to Edinburgh?
Mia Hobbs: No, but I would love to go to the Edinburgh Festival. I don't know when the first one was? how long ago.
LJ: Oh, good question. Ah, had I opened the shop by them. I'm not sure if the shop was open. So maybe 2013 2014 ish. And then I went, I dragged Mark along with me. And we went in and it was in the afternoon and it was so busy. I was still so busy. And this was this was when it was in I think the Drill Hall so it wasn't in the Corn Exchange. It was a much smaller venue. So we went in, we kind of wondered about really quickly because I was just so overwhelmed. There were just too many people too much nice yarn. I was like, oh, I need to leave went and saw Lileth of the of Old Maiden Aunt. And there was like she had her trunks and things and there was a beautiful colour. It was a buttermint colorway which is this beautiful yellow. It's gorgeous. So I grabbed it. Bought it. I was like saying to Lileth. I didn't know Lileth, at the time. Yeah. I was like it's so busy. How are you coping? And she's like, I'm not I'm and you want to hide under the table? And just like Absolutely. Bought my yarn, left. Great. We were home. I took the yarn. Cobweb lace.
Mia Hobbs: Oh,
LJ: I was not a new knitter. But not a what's the word? Not confident knitter. I was like, what? I don't know what to do with this. So it sat in my stash for ages. And then I brought it out and was like, I took the yarn out. And I was like, I'm gonna do something with this. Yeah. And I looked at Shetland lace thought that's a good challenge. I'm gonna try doing like one of the ring, you know, that shawls that go through a wedding ring and things. But the yardage wasn't enough on it. But I think there's like over 1000 metres on it, which is crazy. So it just so happened that Lileth had a studio fire. Not a big one. But there was smoke damage to yarn. So she kind of sold it off cheap. And there was another skein of this colorway. Okay, I bought it I was like yes because she doesn't often have that base in stock. I was like, Yes, get that. And it arrived. And because it was like five years apart. They weren't the same dye lot. They were different colours. And I was like, Oh, I don't know what to do with this. So again, it went back in my stash. And it's just as a bit of a low. It's almost kind of plagued me just this in my stash because I want to use it. But I really I suppose I kind of flipped it on. I recently figured out that I could knit a lace top with it. Okay, I'm currently knitting a lace top, holding both strands together. And I only need one well two skeins, but I only need one skein.
Mia Hobbs: What's the top? ,
LJ: so it's Diafania. DIA. S. E. Nia, by Camilla Larsen. Diafania
Mia Hobbs: So yeah, it's just in progress right now.
LJ: Yes, I could show you if you want that.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. That's an amazing colour.
LJ: Isn't it beautiful? So yeah, it's got like you. I'm just on the yoke. I'm not looking forward to the rows and rows of stokinette afterwards. But yeah, I am enjoying it. And it's got a lace yoke. Yeah. So it's easy enough to memorise, yeah. Yeah,
Mia Hobbs: so hey, so is it feeling good to use that yarn?
LJ: No, it does. So I suppose it takes away from the knitting law, doesn't it?
Mia Hobbs: Not at all, I'm really pleased at seeing the light of day.
LJ: I know me too. That's the thing about like, everybody. Well, not everybody has a big stash. But I know we all have at least some yarn kicking about and it's just so nice to be able to use it because you've bought it because you love it. It's just a shame that it's any more hands basically. Yeah
Mia Hobbs: I actually ended up going stash free because of the not liking the the kind of guilt factor of when I wanted to knit a new thing if I didn't happen to have because you've got to have the right yarn and the right like thickness of yarn, the right quantity of it for the project. I just found that that was a matchmaking process that never quite resulted in a harmonious match. and so I ended up just so the only stash I have is you know, nice remnants basically or Things, I've used things. Also, I don't buy unless I have a specific project and I'm about to start
LJ: started doing that. Well, I started doing that quite a few years ago. Actually, I went I, before the show, I would like write up a spreadsheet of projects and yardage and things. I'd have a selection of things I wanted to make that I could then be like, Okay, well, I love this. What can I make with this? Okay, that and then at least I knew I would have enough for at least a project. But yeah, it's it's quite satisfying to I haven't got no stash. I definitely don't have no stash. Yeah, I still have a lot of like sample yarn and things that I try and give to people. And one of my friends works for a Women's Refuge charity here and they're doing something with pom poms to they're making pom poms. And they're going to put them up around Dundee in spaces where women don't feel safe to kind of make it a bit more of a nicer environment to be be in. And she's like, Do you have any purple, orange or green? And I'm like, Oh, you bet I do. Went over with like bags and I was. Like, please take this bye
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. So it's going to a good cause?
LJ: Absolutely. So yeah, if you find a pom pom in Dundee, it's probably from my stash.
Mia Hobbs: That's amazing. The last question I normally ask is, what's the greatest gift that knitting has given you for the kind of rest of your life?
LJ: Patience?
Mia Hobbs: Okay, yeah.
LJ: I'm definitely
Mia Hobbs: do you think that's spilled over into other realms of your life outside of knitting.
LJ: I want to say yes, my husband would say no,
Mia Hobbs: that's okay. He's not on the podcast.
LJ: That's true. I think he's out with the dog. Can't even hear me say that. Um, no, I think it's definitely given me a sense of like kind of being in the moment to stop catastrophizing, things and getting all up in your head. Yeah. Patience to just sit and be. And definitely a coping mechanism for situations where I, I like to pre plan everything and know, like, where am I going to park? What, how long is it going to take? And I run through these things in my head. So it's given me something to be able to kind of, as you say, that comfort blanket type things so that at least that's one piece of the plan? Yeah. I don't need to worry about that. I could sit in the waiting room, like at the hospital, the doctors. Yeah. And I don't have to worry about how long I'm sitting there. Are people looking at me? Or are people judging what I'm doing? Blah, blah, blah? Yeah. So it kind of takes away that kind of nonsense. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, so once I get there, I can sit in and be calm and just focus on going in, and then we'll deal with what's next
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. Okay, that's amazing. And I loved I have to say, your collection, your new collection of yarn. And I love some of the yarn names. They are amazing. And I think you're right, they talk, they speak to the kind of the messier side of Yeah, mental health when you think, you know, I think was the one about not having washed in a week. And theapy tears.
LJ: Therapy tears is My friends Yeah, I think I was just at that place where I'm sure a lot of people were in the pandemic, where everybody was trying to lift everybody up, which I totally appreciate. And everybody was looking at, like, the beautiful things around them, like, the flowers in their garden or, you know, be like the beautiful things and really look at and it was so good. I did really love it. But at the same time I was sat there like not having washed in a week, having not brushed my teeth in, however long crawling out of this cave. And I'm just like, do you know what. I love you all for this. But actually, I feel like rubbish. Yeah. And we can we talk about that for a minute, please. Can we focus this to me? And yeah, it was nice to when I kind of shared the idea. People were really open for it. And it made me feel less on my own.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And I'm sure that other people feel less on their own as well, because they thought, Well, I'm not the only person here. Well, I hope so a week or, you know, has cried their way through another therapy session or you know, cuz that will speak to lots of us won't it.
LJ: Yeah, definitely. So yeah, it was quite cathartic for me for sure. Sure. Yeah. So kind of proud of that one. Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: So I'm sure there'd be lots of people who would like to follow you on Instagram. You've got a video podcast, is that right? Oh, yeah, I do. I do that thing. and your yarn and the Oh yeah so how can they find out more? Okay,
LJ: so my website is www dot rusty ferret yarn dot co.uk. Yeah. If you want to follow me on Instagram, I'm at rusty ferret yarn. I'm not so active on there just now and find it Instagram a lot just now. Okay. I am quite active over on Twitter. Okay. Which you can yeah is the same so at rusty ferret yarn on Twitter as well. And the podcast is on YouTube. It's not a podcast, it's video podcast video on YouTube, and I believe that's rusty ferret yarn, too. Okay. But you'll get that from my website. Everything's linked on my website.
Mia Hobbs: Super and LJ thank you so much. I'm really honoured that you shared your beautiful stories about Mark's granddad and the shawl. And yeah, so that was a real pleasure. Thank you for listening to the why I knit podcast if you'd like to find out more about therapeutic knitting you can follow me on Instagram at knitting is therapeutic. Or check out my website therapeutic knitting.org. To be notified when a new podcast is released. Please subscribe on your podcast app