Mia Hobbs: Hello, and welcome to the why I knit podcast. My name is Dr. Mia Hobbs, and I'm a clinical psychologist who's passionate about knitting and its benefits for our mental health. Each week on the podcast, I interview a different knitter about why they knit and how it benefits their well being. This is the last episode of Series one, and I'm very lucky to be joined by Dana Williams Johnson or DW J, who is a Professor of Marketing and a passionate knitter of sweaters for humans and very small dogs. You can find out more about Dana by reading her blog at www dot yards of happiness.com. She's also on Instagram at call me DW J. You can find a link to Dana's blog, and any of the yarns and patterns we discussed in the show notes. Hi, Dana, welcome to the podcast.
DWJ: Hello, hello.
Mia Hobbs: So I always start with asking about where your story with knitting began.
DWJ: Um, so I learned it's only been about 11 years I think. I, I've always been crafty. And but never I've never done anything really with yarn before I can sew, a big papercraft person, I paint place for a long time. And, but I didn't know anybody who knit that or crochet. In fact, actually, I didn't know someone crochet but she never crochet in front of me. And so I just never my best friend I find out later on crochet. Like, what, um, so I started this new job. And I kind of needed I was at that phase in my life where I hadn't figured out 100% still what I really wanted to do, I think I was, I'm a late bloomer, in terms of career, I'm good at lots of things. But there was nothing that like my husband is an engineer has always known and wanted to be an engineer and absolutely loves his job, and I never had that in my life. Until I started teaching. And so I was like, Well, I'm doing this job. And it's pay is great. hours are easy, like, I'm learning some new stuff, but I need something really creative. So I got one of those Groupon deals were like, discounted to get. And it was for Knitting Lessons in a knitting shop in DC that doesn't exist anymore. And I said to my mom, like, I think I'm gonna take Knitting Lessons. And I always tell the story, because she said to me, you don't need another craft. You don't need to learn nothing. You don't need to spend money, on anything. I was like rude. And then, like a week after I said that, she was like, Can You knit me this hat? You literally just said to me, like, I assume you ignore me like always. Okay. So I signed up for lessons. And it took a little bit for me to kind of get it. But once I got it, I was hooked. And that was kind of it for me. And I had a teacher who really like, like, I was an intro knitting class, but it learned very quickly how to do cables and knitting in the round. Like, she was kind of really aggressive. But I think it kind of helped give me a little bit of confidence, because you just kind of go into like, well, I guess I can do this, like, I can do anything. Um, but I also took it upon myself to like, usually once a year, I take class because of that. So every year for the last year, usually at my local yarn shop, I sign up for some type of class, to learn some new skills, some new thing, or if I want, like when I wanted to get into sweater knitting, I took a intro sweater knitting class, I can ask all the questions. And so for because I'm realised I'm nerdy in that way. And then I love education. I mean, um, and so if that's what knitting is, for me, it's there's a, like, before you started recording we were talking about, there's always something that you can learn. So I don't feel bad when I'm like, Oh, I haven't learned that yet. Because I'm like, I'll get there. Like I've been saying forever. I really want to do something with intarsia it hasn't happened yet, will it? Yeah. I think it would just be I have to find the right project that has excited me to say
Mia Hobbs: it's such a great idea to do a class of something new once a year. So is it always knitting related? Or could it be something completely random that you've never done before? Like, ceramics or
DWJ: For me it's always been knitting, okay. Like when I took a class a year, but I am also one of those people who encourages people to take classes. So like be away from me for four to six hours. So he was like, learn to play golf with me. So I signed up into Clemson. So I play golf. Um, so anytime there's something we're like, Hmm, I love Creole food. I love to cook. So when we travelled to New Orleans, I take cooking lessons. It's the thing of, I don't know how to do it. But there's usually somebody out there who can teach me Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: So you love to learn.
DWJ: I love to learn. So like, lets take advantage of that. Like if somebody is willing, someone, I'm not the best Sewer. And I have a follower who is in the area, an older woman who I see all the time and help her out with stuff. And she's an amazing Sewer. And I happen to say one day on Instagram, like, I would love to make a quilted coat. Like, I wish my skills are up to par. And she was like, I have a long arm quilting machine at my house. So it's just like, I'm 100% can make that with you. She's like, I can help you. So I'm all about like, Oh, if you're willing to teach me. I'm all for it.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. Oh, that's great. And was there something special about knitting that this? I mean, I don't know if it is your main craft now. But was there something particular that you think that hooked you in to it?
DWJ: I think I am a person who I enjoy being alone. And I can do it my by myself. And I don't, you can literally just be me in a ball yarn and needles, and I can take it anywhere. And so for me, I think that was the thing that hasn't made it my main craft that I always have some knitting with me. Yeah. And I can whip out a hat or cowl. Or maybe I'm working on a sweater or you know, like, so it's constantly with me, my students know when I'm proctoring exams, I walk around the room while I'm knitting. And it's, it's soothing for me, it calms nerves, it helps. I think I've always had anxiety since I was a kid. So I think for me, it can also be um and a good way to kind of relieve some of my anxiety. I talked once about how when my dad died I was knitting something, when you know, people come to your house and like pay their respects and all that. And instead of asking the obvious questions about how are you feeling and loss when you know you feel horrible. So they asked me about what I was knitting. And it made it a little bit easier to have conversations and to be present with people instead of focusing on that thing that was kind of weighing you down.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And does it matter what you knit? Like, is all knitting equal? Or does it make a difference? What it is?
DWJ: I don't think it matters. I mean, I have an affinity for sweaters. Like thats My you know, I mean, I tell you, every knitter has a thing. I don't get people who knit socks like that. Just, I have absolutely zero. But what is
Mia Hobbs: it about socks? Is it the process or the end result?
DWJ: I love and here's the thing I love a knit sock? Yeah. And I have friends who knit me thought and I'm giving it five gifts. I have absolutely zero desire to knit a sock for myself. I just don't. And as much as I knit and make. I think it's the tiny needles and the tiny yarn. It's not appealing. I would buy a sock machine before I would knit.
Mia Hobbs: Okay, that's interesting. So is a bit about the process?
DWJ: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, I would totally like I've looked at whenever I see somebody was really gorgeous sock knitting machines I wanna do that. She's like well, my not gonna knit a sock. Okay. fortunately, I have a really good girlfriend who has given me like a couple pairs of socks. Yeah, like, as long as I have good friends. It's fine.
Mia Hobbs: dYeah, you don't need to knit them yourself. Yeah, so sweaters are your main love. Would you say
DWJ: sweaters are my main love? Yeah. And I associate you with some with some bright coloured like combinations of colours like it. I think it's that colour is such a mood booster and so like this is the audio podcast but you can see me in . You can See my house? And there's a lot of artwork, um, and growing up, my parents always encouraged that in me, because I always would draw and paint. And, you know, I remember being a kid and getting to pick the paint colours and the carpet colours for the wall. My mom was like, I hate it. And my dad was like, but it's her room
Mia Hobbs: so they encourages that form of self expression for you.
DWJ: Yeah. He was always like, but it's her room. It's her one little space. And it really makes her happy. So let us just let her have that. Um, and I know, my mom. Never. It was always just a minor I parent and it's funny because I grew up in a house. I think my parents have really great taste, but it's very classic and very, like neutral than me. I'm like, I want to paint this wall teal. Yeah. And my ceilings are mint and it's, um, fortunately, my husband kind of just goes with it like, sure. Dana loves colour. Um, but I think wearing all black, like, when I wear all black to work people have asked, Are you okay, whats wrong. Because it is so rare. I went years not owning a pair of black pants, I can't get through this. Um, and I just think it makes you your wardrobe way happier. I am sometimes envious of like people who have like, a colour palette and are like, I wear like these five colours, because my wardrobe is essentially a rainbow. I'm always like, I'll figure out some combos today. But I just think it makes me way happier to knit things. Especially rainbows. Like I love a good rainbow. So to knit things that have so much kind of joy and levity to them.
Mia Hobbs: So it sounds like that affects your mood while you're making the garment. But also when you then get to wear it.
DWJ: Yeah yarn is beautiful, I think Yeah. Especially indie dyed skeins are like little works of art. And I got recently I bought myself a sweater quantity for Christmas of the La Bien Aimee confetti yarn that
Mia Hobbs: yeah.
DWJ: Whoa, a little bit. Yeah. And I, I asked people for like suggestions for patterns and stuff online. I know when I think about it in the day, like, I just want something that's gonna showcase how beautiful that yarn is. And and that you can see all the little flecks and I don't want that to get lost.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. Did you decide on a pattern?
DWJ: I'm not 100% I'm also like, I have so much yarn and so many patterns and projects that I'm considering or thinking about and my hand is a little academic life in all my typing is not helping
Mia Hobbs: Oh, okay.
DWJ: So I'm trying to get my hand a little bit of rest, as I'm like halfway through a sweater from my husband. I just want to make this the body on this sweater but my hand like no mam, we're not doing it
Mia Hobbs: That must be quite difficult, then if you can't knit as much as you'd like to.
DWJ: I think there's well this year I have knit the least in that and learn and a lot of it was I've been I've been ill. And then because I'd had illness. And I had I had multiple pulmonary embolisms, um, and because of that, I, I have insane fatigue sometimes. And so I literally will get through the day. And it's like, I'm just glad that I made it home and I'm still standing. And then I tell my husband like I'm just a potato on the couch like I can't do anything because I haven't knit as much. I had a bit of a brief moment in November where I felt super like knitting energised. And then once Thanksgiving hit. And I had multiple papers. And then I just finished comps so much typing and I know every year all the typing affects my joints and all that so I have to be mindful of that because I tell people like it isn't necessarily about being an academic writing. I want to be able to knit.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, yeah, does it. I mean, I feel like I would find it difficult to not be able to do the, the thing that like you said, kind of gives me joy and makes me feel calmer. If I'm stressed Maybe you're more used to managing that.
DWJ: Um, I'll say that. So this year has changed my perspective on a lot of things. I mean, I'm fairly young, I'm 43. And you don't expect to have a major life event at 43.
Mia Hobbs: mmmm
DWJ: And, I mean, I was essentially told, what I came in with is what most people die from. When you find out we hear people die from pulmonary embolism, and disability because of the level of embolisms, that I had had a massive one, restricting blood flow right out of my heart, so my body wasn't getting enough oxygen. And then my lungs were riddled with clots like, riddled. So for me to have made it as far as I had before being hospitalised was kind of miraculous. And so I'd say about two weeks before I went to hospital, I'd stopped knitting. And I also stopped talking as much which is hard to do when you're a professor but I talked only when I had to, and found ways to really engage students in my classroom to do the talking so that I wouldn't have to. And so I kind of switched over a little bit and had started working in polymer clay. And which is a medium that I worked on before. But I had seen some fun things on Instagram, I wanted to make like jewellery and things like that. So I kind of switched over, because I realised, now I did not have enough oxygen in my body. So I did not have the brainpower to read a knitting pattern. Which I couldn't, I didn't know that at the time. Um, and Polymer Clay don't follow patterns, or you don't, I could just sit down at the table and make whatever. And so when you realise after going through all that, like when I was in hospital, I legit was just trying to survive, and, and you're just kind of there. And, you know, people are like, Oh, I'm terrified of needles, and I hate all that. You, when you have someone slice into your neck artery while you're awake, anything is possible. And you stop being afraid of certain things. And so I had to I had to come to the realisation when I came out of hospital, how sick I was, and how long the recovery I had had. So they give you about a year before you are expected to feel normal. And I spent three months of the summer, essentially waiting for my heart to go back to normal, which meant a lot of rest. A lot of naps. And so my husband I think was the person who noted like, a couple weeks out of the hospital, I finally picked Polymer clear. And so I saw him like grinning, and I'm like what he goes, you're just being creative. And I'm happy about that. Like, I haven't seen this in weeks. he's like, so this is positive. And I would look at my knitting and I would want to do it. Your blood oxygen levels aren't still normal. So clearly, you're not. And like if people were like, how are you in grad school and teaching? And I was like, Well, things, I stopped doing certain things because I couldn't, I wasn't functioning. So I think this year, I realised like, I have to have patience with myself. Yeah, i'm a fairly patient person. But I'm also very efficient and like I do things for myself. So learning to be more patient with myself has been something that I've dealt with this year. And now I'm getting frustrated when I can't do the things I want to do, because there's so many things that I can do now that I couldn't do six months ago.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. So you're really focusing on the process of recovery and trying to give yourself time for that.
DWJ: And sometimes you have to remind yourself of that, like, Yeah, we had to travel and do things and I was exhausted. But I was like, but you know what, two months ago, I would not have been able to walk up that hill.
Mia Hobbs: Hmm.
DWJ: And so let's be happy that I walked up that hill today. And, and me and my husband is great at reminding me of those little things and being like, Oh, you've done so much better like, because I think he knows me so intimately and has seen me at the absolute lowest in the hospital. So he knows like, this is progress. So eventually, like I was hospitalised early May. I think I started knitting again. About six weeks out so mid June into July. So that was, that was a while.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah.
DWJ: I was like, okay, yeah, do it. And then I will go. Let me read the instructions. Let me just read it through. And now still doesn't make sense yet. So me give myself time. So it's about it's been about patience for me.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And I guess one of the things that when we talk about therapeutic knitting one of the I think the reasons we think knitting is helpful is because you can break it down into quite small steps. And it kind of makes it more accessible, I think, in some ways. So for example, if someone's feeling really low, or like you, when you were struggling to get back in, that you could do a teeny tiny amount, I suppose. Unlike other, it might be hard to start, I don't know much about painting, but to start painting and only paint a tiny piece of a canvas or something. Whereas knitting, like if you're doing a couple of stitches, or like winding a ball of yarn, you are still making progress towards the end thing, even if it's in a very small increment of what you can manage in a given day, I suppose.
DWJ: Yeah, I mean, even for me, when I wasn't on pre embolisms. Even if I could just do a row at night, I will be like, I feel accomplished. Like I got at least I got in a couple stitches tonight. Before I went to bed, like it was a long day, I just want to let something go. Let me just get a couple rows in and then I'll feel a little bit better. Yeah. So I do think that is part of the beauty of it is that you kind of constantly working on this thing. And to me, I think it's all still like, it's all a little bit of being an artist and a work of art. I definitely think of knitting is an art form. And
Mia Hobbs: I was gonna ask you about that as somebody who has an art kind of background about whether knitting is an art form for you, because I never quite know for myself?
DWJ: No, I think it is I think we all you and I can pick the exact same pattern.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah.
DWJ: And interpret in so many different ways. From the yarn choices to maybe you make your sweater with long sleeves, and I'm going to go short, maybe you decided you want to in some waist shaping, or some bust darts. Or I'm like now I want to make it oversized, or you're like I want this to be really fitted. I think it is such an individual thing. And we each get to put our own spin on it. Like I love I love because people always like oh, do you should design patterns? No, I love other people writing patterns and their designs and the vision in the ideas that they have. And then how I get to interpret that from
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And without doing the maths.
DWJ: Without doing all that I don't want to do grading one of my girlfriends to do that. And I'm like no, and I'm and we made her make us design a pattern for us for Rhinebeck with you. Like make us a sweater. Thank you. And she did all the work.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, the closest I've ever got was actually this sweater that I'm wearing now, which is a like, you know, Tin Can knits Strange Brew.
DWJ: Oh, yeah,
Mia Hobbs: but I just added these kind of like snowflakes to make it a bit more, you know,
DWJ: I like it though
Mia Hobbs: Christmassy, thank you. But there was quite a lot of maths involved. And that was a sense of achievement. I got a bit different than the way I normally get a sense of achievement from knitting. But that was probably enough as it happened. For me.
DWJ: I have some books and some formulas. So sometimes I will. I love saddle, shoulders. Okay. Yeah. Not a bunch of people make patterns like that. So I will often do that for myself. And like I have kind of a standard pattern and again, and so people are like, oh, you should and I'm like I'm going off of bits and pieces from a book and slicing things together. Yeah. I'm not designing this. Like I can make anything from my bust size. Yeah. You want to ask me to make it for somebody else? No, but it's my bust size. I got you.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. Yeah. Fair enough. I'm interested in the thing you said about patience. Because I think I certainly I don't know whether you do people, lots of people say you're you're much more patient than I am. I couldn't wouldn't ever have the patience for knitting, and associate patience with knitting. And it sounds like you've felt like you've had to use a lot of patience in your recovery. I wonder whether you feel like patience is something knitters have, did you get more patient through knitting or is that just something people say?
DWJ: Something people say because I think if you want something you will be patient for it. A lot of things that you want or need don't aren't instantaneous. I also think and because I deal with students that we're in a culture right now, instant gratification and immediacy, you know, students are always asking like, Well, how did you all do such as that for you and your undergrad? I'm like, well, first of all, we didn't have Ubers. I couldn't call a con man, like, I had to make a plan. We had to figure these things out. We didn't all have cell phones. Um, so I think I am patient in that respect. I've always kind of been a patient person when it comes to things that I want. And so I think when people see other knitters and are, like, oh, I can never do it. I think people are just intimidated. It seems like it's this really complex thing, because I remember seeing it for the first time, like, how long do people get it to do that, and it become this thing, but, um, I mean, it just takes a little bit of practice. And then I'll have to tell my students that do. I wasn't a sweater knitter on day one, everybody makes a crappy potholder or a scarf with really big holes in it. Yeah. And you have to accept that, um, and especially like, I'm, I am a person that's very much a perfectionist. I can be a little bit anal about things. And so I had to let that go in knitting,
Mia Hobbs: okay.
DWJ: And that that took a little bit for me, but to realise like, the perfection is in the practice. And then I'm better now. Because I know how I have more confidence, I can fix a dropped stitch, I can see my mistakes and frog back. And I think the beauty in it is that if I really really mess it up, I just unravel it. Yeah. And sometimes I think it's people like, it's just such a waste of time. But it isn't, if you learn from it and like, again, I go back to like, I like learning. Yeah. And so as long as I'm learning and getting something out of it, then there's joy to be had at that. And I think we missed that. Sometimes I have a class that I teach students, and I'm like, the goal is for you to make mistakes, and learn from the mistake that you make. Because it's the problem solving class so I'm, like, you all are so afraid that you're gonna give me the wrong answer that you just don't do it. Like you won't show me the work you want. And the goal is, I want to see multiple tries, I want to see how you attempted to do it the first time to then figure out where you went wrong. And if you don't make the mistake, I can't help you like I can't. And so I often have to, and I had a really good semester with them this year, because I really kept pressing like, no, no, I want to see the mistakes. Like I want to see the mistakes, I need to see all the work. But I think that's the really hard part for people that to kind of get to them mistakes or how we learn like it's okay, you don't have to be perfect. And because we're in such a social media perfection, ultra filtered world. Um, it makes it hard for people to understand or process that and I'm like, that's how you grow. It's ok.
Mia Hobbs: And I think certainly, that's something that knitting has helped me with. And I think in the therapeutic knitting groups I've been running we have been focusing on like, the worst thing that can happen, but you still got unless you get the scissors out, you still got what you started with, which is a ball of yarn and the needles. And, and that is a kind of, in a way, a place for making safe mistakes. Like because how wrong can it possibly go with knitting?
DWJ: My husband is really good. Because he knows me and I'm anxious and I will be like, when we first got a dog, and like we'd be late or stuck in traffic, and he'll be like, Okay, what is what's the worst thing that can happen? Now, like what should poop in the house? And he goes, Okay, so how do we how do you fix them? Like, why me? I would just clean it up like that. Okay, so let that go. And understand that. If we're late, she might have accident, but we have the tools and means to clean it up. Yeah, and she'll still be fine. Like, she's not gonna starve to death. We're 30 minutes late coming home. Um, he's like, she'll probably be even more excited when you walk in the door. So he, he is very good at refocusing me and saying like, Okay, tell me the worst thing that can happen. And how then, do you have how do you overcome that hurdle once you get there, which is one of the things I did do a lot with, like before school started after having kind of been out of the game for three months. He was like, tell me all the things that you're afraid of. And then let's figure out how we resolve Those fears. Um, and that was a great exercise for him to sit down and be like, well, these are the things that make me nervous. Okay. Think about solutions and how we make it better. Or maybe only the practice if he things before school starts. So you feel more comfortable like that. And so I think that's how I feel to a knitting is that. Alright, this cable looks insane. And I'm a little nervous. Let me practice. Yeah, let me let me try this out. You know, that's what I tell people too with swatches like, that's why swatches are helpful. Yeah, give you a chance to see how something's gonna react or respond. And then you can figure out if thats the right needle, if that's the right technique, or maybe it's not the project for you at that time.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. And do you have more than one thing on the go at once if you got projects for different?
DWJ: Always!
Mia Hobbs: And are they different, for different I don't know, moods or different situations in your life where you need a different type of project.
DWJ: I'm usually I have multiple sweaters going on at once. Because they require different things at different times. So I like a sweater will have like, a lot of stockinette in the body where I don't have to really look that great for just some mindless knitting. Whereas if I'm just starting a sweater, maybe I have to pay a little bit more attention to my increases, I'm building out the yoke. Two colour brioche when I'm really stressed, because it makes me take my mind off of whatever it is that I was thinking about and makes me focus on the project at hand.
Mia Hobbs: So you'll gravitate towards something more complicated if you're really stressed, and you need to kind of Yeah, same
DWJ: yeah, it helps me recenter and say like, I need to not think about this for 30 minutes. Let me pick this up. Because then I'm gonna have to really look at this because I don't want to mess this up. Yeah.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah. It's kind of a bit of an escape from stress.
DWJ: Yeah, and then just have stuff like I get. I get in the mood. I'm like, I just really wanted to knit a colourwork sweater. Yeah. Or I just really want to use the yarn. Um, and I've had moments where like, yarn will arrive and I'm like, well, casting on something else immediately. Um, I actually got some, some boucle yarn yesterday. And I'm like, Well, I'm gonna make a hat.it's cold,
Mia Hobbs: yeah. Yeah. I always ask about a significant knitting project.
DWJ: Um, I always love. I always love for my mom
Mia Hobbs: for your mom.
DWJ: She always, always always gets excited. No, it can be a wrap can be a sweater, it doesn't matter.
Mia Hobbs: She's not a knitter.
DWJ: No, no, no one else in my family is, um, so anytime I make her something, there is this level of joy and excitement from my mother that is so genuine and so. So pure. And it's that it's that thing where you're like, This is why you make something for other people because they genuinely like get it and love it. And she wants to tell everyone that her daughter made it for her. So I made her a sweater called a. simmetrie that I love. That was a little bit complex for me. And she wore it the first time she had to travel out of town after my dad passed away. And a woman she was sitting eating in a hotel bar by herself. And a woman came up to her and asked her if she had knit that sweater. And she said no but my daughter did. And turns out the woman was like a knitting instructor and Blah blah and she ended up sitting down having lunch with my mom and my mom made a friend. And it was just one of those things where it's like something that you knit that brings my mom comfort and excitement but then also found find a way to like, connect her to other people. Um, she's also notorious for talking to people in public when she sees other people knitting like, well my daughter knits and then I'll get like Instagram message like I met your mom today. Um, and so that that 100% Makes me feel incredibly special and that I understand that she appreciates what I make her so she's probably my favourite person to knit for and she's hilarious because like I'll wear a sweater I was FaceTiming her the other day. And I had on a new sweater that I made for myself. And like we're in the middle of talking about something else and she goes. And that sweater you're wearing is real cute.
Mia Hobbs: is that her way of placing an order
DWJ: That was her hint so I too would like that sweater w'm like, What do I have? in my stash As can I make this exact sweater But yeah, so anything for my mom, I think is my actual favourite thing. And then I have a former grad student who's like a little brother to me, who, whenever he helps me out, he always askes me for this very specific hat, asked for in a different colour. Hmm. Um, and apparently, like, everybody always tries to take this hat. Everybody loves his hat. His dad was like, I mean, I've never heard that said like, can she make me one of these? Like, no, you don't know her. And she has, like, you have no relationship like, this is my special thing. But it's this special moment. I think any knit is special, you give it away, and then you see it in use. Like, I've seen him post pictures, and it's winter time he forever has on one of the hats. And for that, that always makes me happy to hear that, like, you see a baby wearing something made, or a blanket that you made like that, to know that it's being used in love that makes me happy
Mia Hobbs: yeah, that actually happened to me. Last weekend, I met up with my best friend who lives a few hours away. And she was wearing the do you know, the scout shawl. And so I had knit that when my dog was quite a small puppy and had like, so it's intarsia and colour works that have like six balls of yarn at once and I made it for my best friend's 40th. And we met up in a different town and she was wearing it with this like new yellow coat that just matched the which since she said she hadn't bought especially because it matched the scarf, but it looked great. And I happened to be wearing a cardigan in the same yellow yarn that I'd used in her shawl. We were like, looked like we were on a weird hen do or something but it was. But it was so special to see her wearing that I'd made her for her 40th which was in July. She's not a knitter so, it was a slightly random gift. You know, you never quite, I'm never quite sure if somebody who's not a knitter is gonna appreciate you know, appreciate it.
DWJ: I know. Yeah, I don't knit for everybody. And sometimes I've been like pressured and i'm, like, just make it and then And I've probably got to be what you feel like making at that I'm like, I didn't need to make this person this because I will never ever see evidence of this thing ever again. Um, well, my knitting circle is incredibly small. And, and I do that so that I can make whatever I want whenever I want. I don't necessarily want people to put demands on what I choose to create. particular time? Like what floats your boat just then. Yeah, like sometimes I'm like, I like I have a friend who I know really wants a sweater from me. And I know what sweater I want to make him. But I have no interest in making this sweater right now. Yeah, like January will hit and and i'll be like now's the time lets make this sweater? Yeah. But um, and that's I tell people you might get a sweater from me in July. You might get a sweater from me in February. Like it just depends on what the mood is and how I feel at the time.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, and it's difficult to know how long these things take. Also, people are saying how long does it take to knit a sweater? I don't know.
DWJ: I'm like It depends. Like especially now um, I was supposed to knit. I'm usually a fast knitter but I'm not this year. And I'm my best friend comes with me to all yarn related events. And she was coming to Rhinebeck and so I knit her Rhinebeck sweater before. And I didn't have it in me. I barely got through making mine in time for Rhinebeck but my girlfriends in my little knitting group. Were like we'll knit it for her because they love her too. And so I think for me, that has also been like, one of the best things this year is that I have a really good small circle of girlfriends who, when I couldn't knit did stuff for me. And when I haven't had the energy or the enthusiasm, they be like that, don't worry, we'll handle it. Um, and so like they knit it, but then I ended up her sleeves need to be a little bit longer. So I frogged back her cuffs and made it a little bit longer for her so that there was still a little bit of me in there. Yeah. But yeah, I just I you know, I tell people like you get one when I feel like it there have been some sweaters where I've loved the process. And so I'll just spend a little bit of time and and put it away. And so, I've had a sweater that took me like three months where I'm like, Yeah, I'm probably gonna sat down and done this a couple weeks, but I enjoyed it. So I would savour it and be like, I'll come back to this. Like, I'll pick this back up later.
Mia Hobbs: Yeah, so it's a lot about the process for you than the end result Oh, And you've mentioned the idea of knitting, making you feel calmer, and you've mentioned the kind of joy and the colour, are there any other ways you think knitting kind of helps you in terms of your well being, or
DWJ: I think I have met amazing people. Um, and so like I, you know, I'd said before and 2020, when the pandemic started, if I didn't have my, the group of five of us, I didn't have those four women in my life, I don't know how I would have made it through 2020. And I really don't know how I would have made it through this year after getting sick and, and what connects us is yarn. And it, you know, we incurred Look, we all bought yarn, advent calendars this year. So that we could all open. And so like, when I log off with you, I'm sure my text messages will be full of pictures of what was in each person advent, because we all got different ones,
Mia Hobbs: you know, go get different ones, okay.
DWJ: And so that we talked about and ooh and ahh over what each person got, and, you know, we encourage our own purchases and get excited and ooh and ahh over what each other's making and do knit alongs amongst ourselves. So I think for me, knitting has also brought amazing relationships into my life. And even at my old job, like, I have a friend who I worked with, and we had the same birthday, but years apart. And it turns out, she was in there too. And so that was a way we kind of bonded at work. Like she was a person where I probably we she and I, we didn't really have anything in common. And then when someone's like, oh, you know, this person knits and so does Dana. And then we started talking and then created, had a friendship, like and would bring yarn and pass stuff back and forth at work. So I think knitting has also brought me some amazing people into my life which i am thankful for.
Mia Hobbs: That's amazing. Has knitting ever been unhelpful? Do you think? No, um, I mean, you get tired of people being like, make me this. Yeah, they don't understand what all goes into it. You know, when my dad was sick, my dad had cancer. And I was at the hospital a lot. I knit a lot at the hospital. And the nurses would come and talk to me about stuff or bring their projects and show me things that they were working on. Now I think it I think it is only brought good things into my life, and good things and memories and things. And I was interested you said when you're talking about your mum wearing a sweater, that when she went out for the first time after your dad had died, and it was like her wearing, I don't know, superpower or like an added confidence when she wore that sweater. I don't know whether you feel that relationship with your sweaters that you or other garments that you make when you wear them.
DWJ: What I remember, like the first time I did this sweater, and it was it was done in like a Hemp yarn so I could wear it in the summer because I did it in like May. Yeah, the very first time I was like, please don't let this whole for some reason. I was like, please don't let this whole thing like unravel. And just be naked at work.
Mia Hobbs: Did it stay together?
DWJ: It stayed together?I don't know why I thought but like, in my head. I was like, this whole thing might just collapse. I don't know what's gonna happen. Um, but I do feel better. When I wear my own stuff. And then people like, Oh, what did you make? And I'm like, yeah, yes, I did. Um,
Mia Hobbs: I always say I feel 20% happier when I'm wearing something I made. And I used to also I don't know, i This probably has happened to you as well. But once you're an established, you know, have a reputation as a knitter, you know, in your place of work or whatever. Then whatever you wear, people say, oh, did you knit that? And then it's so annoying. If you wear something that you bought in a shop and you're like, No, I totally could have made this it would be so easy. But I didn't
DWJ: I haven't bought a sweater. I bought Actually no, I bought a sweater for the first time in the store the other day. And I told my husband the only reason I bought it because it's in some neutral colours that I would not. I wouldn't find joy in knitting this for myself. So I'm just going to buy this because I know I would be like, No, I'm not knitting this and I would change it but I needed like a neutral to go with something else. But I my students get the most excited about it. And I had a student every day would come in. I will walk in and he's like professor. Did you make it and I say Nate? I tell you every week Yep. Yes, I made that like he was. So it is especially the young man he was so like, amazed that I could make clothes. Because they see me knitting. And so my students probably asked me the most like, thing and you'll see the look on their face might come in and like what's going on with them? Like, did you make that one I'm Like, yeah, I made this one. Yeah. all my sweaters I make all of them.
Mia Hobbs: I have one from when the dog was in the terrible like shark teeth phase or if the kids are sick and you don't want them to vomit on a handknit jumper that I keep in the back of the wardrobe, but the others are all handmade now. Yeah, I was going to ask about knitting high end and knitting low. If you've got any in mind.
DWJ: Knitting High. Probably the first time I figured out how to adapt a sweater for Jelly Bean's size.
Mia Hobbs: Oh, yeah. And can you remember what that was.
DWJ: Uh huh. It was an Angelina pullover. Um, and I knit it for myself first. And she was an had been a new rescue. And so we hadn't had her for long. But the whole time I've been knitting mine, she had been using the ball of yarn as a pillow. And she's so little, because she's just five pounds. And sometimes you buy some of the store bought stuff. It's a little too big. And I was like, You know what? I bought her stuff. And I paid too much money for things. I need you to sit down. I've already knit this. So I just need to do the math to shrink it down. And I did it. And it was the most adorable, ridiculous thing I ever knit.
Mia Hobbs: and she loves wearing them. She loves I mean, she wears clothes every day. Because yeah, they're cold. Yeah. And it just was one of those things where you know, cuz, like, why would you do that? Or that? Cuz it made me happy. Like, that's literally the reason. um so that is a really good high, can you think of a low? Oh, I can tell you low, I really there was just beautiful cardigan that I really wanted to make. And I got halfway through it. But it was fishermen's rib and it was killing my hands. Okay, and it took me a year and a half to Frog it. Oh! I finally like I have to let you go. Because I'm never gonna finish you. Because every time I pick you up, like I feel the ache in my hand. And it wasn't even small yarn. It was just the stitch and the positioning of the hand. Like it just was too much. Um, and someone else saw it was like You're like halfway through. And I was like, Yeah, but I'm never there. I can't, I can't do that was sad. But in frogging it. I ended up using the yarn and making something with an amazing rainbow. Like something else. I'm not too sad anymore. Like, yeah, it had a better life. So I think probably the low would be in realising like what those limitations are. And I think this year, I've not knit as much as I would love to. Yeah. Okay. I've still made some really great things that I'm excited about. Just in my head has all these things that I want to make sure. And I always end need to be an octopus with multiple arms. Yeah, and knit way more than I do. Yeah. Yeah. So you're full of ideas. And is that part of the joy of the knitting? Like the planning the next project and what colours or yarn you're going to use? And?
DWJ: 100% 100% Yeah, yeah, I love like, especially if I'm knitting for someone else. I love that moment. When I know the person I figure out the yarn and the pattern, it all clicks, and it's so perfect. And you're like, like, my husband wanted some sweater and I realised I knit this version of this sweater for my sister the year before. And I realised I had the perfect combination of yarn to make it for him a colourwork sweater. And he never pays attention. So like I've been knitting it. And then finally I was like, Okay, I need to try this on. He's like, why? And I was like, I've been knitting a sweater. Right? Like that's for me. I'm I guess, I mean,
Mia Hobbs: I saw someone on Instagram. do you know. I think drunk knitter I think is their Instagram and she was had a, she was knitting next to her husband. And then she got him to take a picture of her knitting something for him. And I was thinking, I so could do that.
DWJ: My husband, we went, we went to New Orleans on a trip one year, and we're in a store and he held up a scarf and he was like, if you could make me something like this, I would love it. So while we're there, I took him into the yarn shop like we'll pick the Colour yarn you want. So he knew the yarn. And we used to commute together in the car, and I knit that scarf for him in the car in front of him for Christmas. And he never noticed. He never noticed I pulled that scarf out every morning and every evening in our commute, and I made it in the car in front of that man. And he never noticed. So I realised if I don't talk about what it is that I'm making. Yeah, he pays absolutely
Mia Hobbs: screened it out.
DWJ: Because I'm always knitting. Yeah, why would he think it's for him? Yeah. So it wasn't until I said them the other day, like, you know, this what it is for you? He's like, what?
Mia Hobbs: I was wondering whether you could get him a surprise. Clearly you can. Yeah, yeah.
DWJ: All the time. And then I'm like, he's, like, yes, yes. paid zero attention.
Mia Hobbs: But he's delighted for the outcome. Oh, no, he's not. I know. It's like, there's certain certain things that make like there are hats. I haven't even gotten to block because as soon as I show him, like, I just finished your hat. And the next day, I'm like, where did it go? And then he comes home, and it's on his head. The process not over it needs to be blocked. Um, so there's something that he absolutely like. And he is very, He's usually very specific. He is very specific in his request, and will like, show you a picture or give you an example and then tell you what colour okay. And he usually only asked for one thing a year, and I can't so I always make it for him. So I made him a sweater this year because I wanted to. But he has asked for a scarf and a specific yarn, which I got for him. So I'll be working on that mindlessly, for him garter stitch scarf, it's really more about the yarn. He thought. He saw a speckled yarn in a sweater that I made. He's like, I want yarn like that. But it like blue, red and white. And so like, oh, he just wants speckles. Okay. He didn't know he wanted speckles,
DWJ: he didn't know. He kept looking at my sweater. I like I like, like this effect. And so i'm like, you like the yarn? Okay. That's what you're telling me is you'd like the speckled yarn. Got it? I got it.
Mia Hobbs: So you just have to translate that. Yeah. For him. It
DWJ: He usually gives me the visuals are enough thing. Yeah. Where I can figure out and I'll ask questions like, Is it the texture? Or is it the colour or how it's arranged? And he'll be like, no, no, it's this and I'm like, oh, that I can do.
Mia Hobbs: Okay. Yeah. Yeah. And I always end the podcast with asking, what's the greatest gift that knitting has given you for the rest of your life?
DWJ: Creative expression, probably. I've always been a really creative, artistic person. And I think it has helped me find ways to express myself even like, embroidering on my knits now. Hmm. So like, as I go through some quotes and things I pull in grad school, and I was like, You know what, I just need to start embroidering some of these things onto like simple sweaters because these are like things that I live by are things that are kind of what guide me in my research and my academic work or like, things that I love. And so it has given me another way to kind of have a creative outlet and express myself, which I'm very thankful for. And isn't necessarily something that we get all the time or, you know, I was raised, where my parents really encouraged my creativity and for me to express myself in those kinds of ways. So to find a way as an adult to have an outlet, I think so often we get caught up in work. Yeah, allow that to take over our lives and my dad was always like, I do not live to work I work so that I can live the life that I want to live and so I always tried to find a balance and to find moments of joy for myself and things that like that come outside of work when I leave my my when I used to leave with nine to five job, I had other things I wanted to do and enjoy and I told my students like it's a little different for me as a professor, but like, I told him, you know, my, my winter break is about Yes, I have some research work I had to do, but also I'm gonna knit and I'm gonna play video games. And I'm gonna give myself that mental break that I need. Because I also think it rejuvenates me and it makes me a better educator, a better person because I have creativity and things that are exciting outside of just doing every day.
Mia Hobbs: That's great. I often like I often see young people for therapy Who are in exam years and I find, they often end up giving up their hobbies for those exam years, because they're trying to focus on passing exams. And I'm like, No, this is the time you need those things even more.
DWJ: This is when you need it. And I for me, you know, I just sat for comps, so two days, for 12 hours total of writing. And I just my in between hours and my in between days, I was knitting as a way to say, I have all this stuff that I've stored in my brain. So I need to just give myself a moment to not just focus on what it is that I've been writing and working on thinking about theories and methodology and, like, let's work on this hat. Because
Mia Hobbs: I find sometimes that the ideas percolate a bit when I'm knitting, like, I'm not trying to access thinking about work or having ideas about things, but somehow they arrive. When I'm knitting.
DWJ: Sometimes I have that verse. And so I scribble notes on my patterns. Okay. Um, and then also for me, because a lot of my research goes into the knitting community. Sometimes it makes me think about or see things in different ways. So I have time to kind of process that information. Yeah. No, I always make my my best friend has a really stressful job. And I'm like, You need to pick up crocheting or weaving. Because they are stressing you out. And I want you to find a way to disconnect and reconnect with yourself so that they don't pull all of the creativity out of you just for this job that you get to save a little bit for yourself.
Mia Hobbs: Dana, thank you so much for agreeing to be on the podcast. It's been an absolute pleasure hearing your experiences and all your ideas.
DWJ: Thank you for having me.
Mia Hobbs: Thank you so much for listening to series, one of the why I knit podcast. I've really enjoyed having these conversations and sharing them with you. If you've enjoyed the podcast, please subscribe so that you're notified when series two begins at the beginning of March. Thank you