Steve: Okay, quick shark question to start us off. Are sharks, fish, or mammals?
Lovella: Oh, uh, they're fish. Yes, they're fish.
Steve: Correct.
Lovella: Welcome to Kids vs. Parents. This is the family trivia battle where the backseat takes on the frontseat. I'm Lovella.
Steve: And I'm Steve. This week is Shark Week in the United States, so we thought we would do an episode to join in.
Lovella: And it was also suggested by...
Steve: Sadie in St. Augustine, Florida.
Lovella: Thank you, Sadie.
Steve: Yeah, we thought we'd throw your shark episode in Shark Week.
Lovella: So, Dad, what's the prize today?
Steve: Our winner for our shark episode today is going to get to pick the meal for dinner.
Lovella: Oh, really?
Steve: Yeah, so they get to choose what to have.
Lovella: Oh!
Steve: Because, you know, sharks get to choose what they have. They get to decide if they want fish tonight or chicken. No? They can't choose chicken?
Lovella: No.
Steve: So I guess they just choose fish or crab.
Lovella: I don't.
Steve: Do you really think sharks would eat crab?
Lovella: Yeah, they only get seafood.
Steve: They have seafood every night. Seafood every night.
Lovella: Unless, you know, someone's out on the boat and then.
Steve: Let's not scare anybody.
Lovella: I know. I'm scaring myself.
Steve: All right. Well, who's going to go first today, Lovella?
Lovella: Let's do the parents this time.
Steve: Oh, that's a good idea. Let's send the parents in the water first.
Lovella: Okay. Question number one. What TV network launched Shark Week in 1988?
Steve: Okay, I'm going to guess it's National Geographic. The National Geographic channel? That network?
Lovella: Is that your answer? going to be my Nat Geo. You are incorrect. It was the Discovery Channel. Oh, that's what I was
Steve: thinking. I said the wrong thing, but I was thinking Discovery Channel. I said Nat Geo Channel. Anyway,
Lovella: all right. Well, I got that one wrong. All right. Question number two. How many gill slits do most shark species have?
Steve: what how many gill slits uh am i supposed to know that you are um Five. Five is my guess.
Lovella: You are correct.
Steve: Am I really?
Lovella: Yes. I had no idea.
Steve: You are correct. That was a guess.
Lovella: Okay. Question number three. Arachnophobia is a fear of spiders. What is a fear of sharks called?
Steve: oh man it's whatever i have because i don't like sharks you have this this problem do you
Lovella: Yeah.
Steve: You have this condition. I don't like sharks.
Lovella: They're scary.
Steve: You have a fear of sharks.
Lovella: You have a fear of sharks.
Steve: Okay. Arachnophobia. So an arachnid is a spider.
Lovella: Mm-hmm.
Steve: An arachnophobia. A shark. It wouldn't be a, it wouldn't be sharkophobia.
Lovella: That'd be funny.
Steve: It's got to be some scientific name for the sharks. I don't know. I don't really know. Okay. Jawsophobia.
Lovella: Oh, Jawsophobia. Okay. Sure. They'd name that after the movie. They name a fear of sharks after the movie. You know, that's kind of smart.
Steve: Spielbergaphobia?
Lovella: No. Okay. No, you're obviously incorrect. The correct answer for a fear of sharks is called galeophobia or also known as celicophobia.
Steve: Okay. Galeophobia?
Lovella: Galeophobia.
Steve: Galeophobia. You need to remember what that is if you have that condition.
Lovella: Well, here's the thing. I don't think I actually have like...
Steve: No, I don't think you're...
Lovella: I think I'd be scared if they were up close. Like seeing them, if I saw like a shark attack a seal or something, I'd like think it was cool.
Steve: I mean, of course. You'd want to be safe on a boat.
Lovella: I'd want to be safe on a boat.
Steve: Right.
Lovella: But like, no, do you know what? I'm never, ever, ever, ever going to get in a cage and do like the shark cage.
Steve: Oh, you wouldn't do that?
Lovella: Oh my gosh. That looks terrifying.
Steve: Yeah, that looks pretty scary. Scary. Yeah, that looks scary. That looks really scary. All right. Well, I've got one correct out of three at the moment.
Lovella: Yes.
Steve: I got to get this one. I got to get. Yikes, buddy. Got to do well.
Lovella: All right, here we go.
Steve: Yep.
Lovella: What year was the most famous shark movie, Jaws, released?
Steve: All right. So this is, we just celebrated its 50th last year. So it's got to be 1975.
Lovella: You are correct.
Steve: Yes. Nice. Good. All right. Two on the board. I'll take that. I'll take 50%.
Lovella: Okay.
Steve: All right. You ready to go in the water, Lovella?
Lovella: I'm not going in the water.
Steve: You ready to go swim with some sharks?
Lovella: I'm not swimming with any sharks.
Steve: No? No. All right, kids. Get your sunscreen on. Get your floaties. Here we go. You're up next. Okay. Shark trivia for you, Lovella. Are you ready?
Lovella: Yes.
Steve: Question number one. Do sharks have bones or cartilage? So you've got a 50-50 chance here. They either have bones inside their body or do they have cartilage? Do you know the difference between the two things?
Lovella: Yeah. Yeah, I think so.
Steve: Cartilage is what we have in our nose. It's not really a bone. Our nose is made of cartilage.
Lovella: I want to say cartilage. I think I'm going to say cartilage.
Steve: Is that your answer?
Lovella: Yeah.
Steve: You are correct.
Lovella: Really?
Steve: Yeah. So they have no bones.
Lovella: Whoa, interesting.
Steve: They just have cartilage.
Lovella: That's cool.
Steve: Yeah. So they have... Weird. They probably have... It probably looks a bit like bones, like still has the shape of its face.
Lovella: Yeah, I've seen like shark mouths in like aquariums or whatever.
Steve: But it's officially cartilage.
Lovella: Wow. That's cool. I didn't know that.
Steve: You had a good guess though.
Lovella: Yes.
Steve: You guessed it.
Lovella: I had a 50-50 chance.
Steve: You did. So I just really had to go for it. All right. Question number two. What is the largest shark species in the world?
Lovella: Largest? Are we talking like mythical-ish too?
Steve: No, we're not talking mythical.
Lovella: Because I would have said a megalodon.
Steve: No, I'm talking about that's currently alive.
Lovella: Oh, a whale shark. Whale shark. You're not great white? No, because a whale shark is a whale shark. It's a shark.
Steve: You are correct.
Lovella: See?
Steve: Whale shark. See?
Lovella: Well done.
Steve: Well done. All right.
Lovella: Yeah, here's my thing. I would encounter a whale shark.
Steve: Possibly. Oh, you swim with a whale shark?
Lovella: Well, they're not.
Steve: They don't bite people? They're so cute. They're huge. Aren't they the size of like a school bus? Multiple school buses? They're big.
Lovella: Okay. I look at it from afar. Just big. It's scary.
Steve: They are big.
Lovella: And they're animals and they're moving.
Steve: And they're unpredictable.
Lovella: They're unpredictable.
Steve: All right. Question number three. Approximately how long have sharks existed on Earth? This is multiple choice.
Lovella: Oh, good. I could not think of anything.
Steve: I'm going to give you a multiple choice. Okay. Approximately how long have sharks existed on Earth? A, two million years. b 10 million years c 250 million years or d 450 million years so you've got 2 million years 10 million years 250 years or 450 years so it's a long time either way it's a long time but is it a really really really long time am i right am i thinking
Lovella: of a different animal but haven't sharks been around longer than dinosaurs or something
Steve: i don't know um no yeah that sounds right well how long have dinosaurs been around for i don't know i don't know how long how old are dinosaurs i don't know i don't i don't pay attention if they've been longer okay well so so what do you think um okay sorry give them to me one more time. Okay. 2 million years, 10 million years, 250 million years or 450 million years.
Lovella: So it's 250 million or 450 million for the last year. Yep. I feel like it's between one of those.
Steve: Okay. I feel like it's a really long time. It just seems really, really long and I feel like
Lovella: they have been around for a long time. Okay. I don't know. I want to say 250, but then I also feel like it's 450, you know? I'm just going to go with 450. No. No, yes. Yes, that one. That one.
Steve: So D, 450. Yes. You are correct.
Lovella: Really?
Steve: Yeah, you are correct. They have been around for 450 million years. Let's go. Isn't that crazy? That is so crazy. Not one particular shark has been the species of shark.
Lovella: That'd be one old shark.
Steve: All right. Last question. You're about to get a clean sweep here. I'm going to have to give you something really hard. All right. Are you ready? Here we go. Question number four. What is the name of a shark's top fin?
Lovella: The top fin?
Steve: The one you typically see out of the water that all the movies show? Yeah, they're like, oh my gosh. It's not called their top fin. It's called something else.
Lovella: Oh, geez. Oh, no.
Steve: I've got multiple fins.
Lovella: Obviously, they've got their side fins, their back fins, then the top fin.
Steve: Their rear fins. Rear fins. All that stuff. Tail fins.
Lovella: I don't know if I've heard of this before.
Steve: I think you have, but I don't know. I don't know.
Lovella: I don't know much about sharks. I don't know. Yeah. Goodbye, queen sweep.
Steve: Do you want to have a guess?
Lovella: the fin where people get scared when they see it the scary fin
Steve: the scary fin it is not called the scary fin
Lovella: well duh
Steve: it is called the dorsal fin
Lovella: oh I have heard that before not a lot but I've heard that a few times the dorsal fin
Steve: I think that is also what you call it on the dolphin as well
Lovella: yeah because you also see that one when they're in the water but usually they're more cute and they're less scary
Steve: And they're usually bounding out of the water.
Lovella: Yeah. Sharks are like, dun, dun, you know, that kind of vibe.
Steve: All right. Well, you got three out of four.
Lovella: That's pretty good.
Steve: I did. Two out of four. So we're going to move to our tiebreaker or our bonus round now. How does this work, Lovella?
Lovella: Well, there is one question. And basically, it's first to answer wins. And we're playing for two points.
Steve: That's right. It's a bonus round. Extra points.
Lovella: Bonus round. And whoever wins, wins. But if the person who buzzes in first, you have to buzz in and they get it wrong, the point goes to the other team.
Steve: Ah, so you have to know the answer if you want the points. Yeah. Okay.
Lovella: You got to take the risk.
Steve: Got to take the risk.
Lovella: Got to take the risk.
Steve: Okay. Bonus question. Would you like me to read it out or would you like to read it out?
Lovella: Yes, you can read it out.
Steve: Okay. Here we go. Bonus tiebreaker question. What do you call a baby shark?
Lovella: Buzz I know I think so I think I know
Steve: I'm like actually Baby shark Do do do do do do Baby shark Is that what you call it?
Lovella: I wish
Steve: Do do do do
Lovella: Do do do do do Baby shark Do do do do do do
Steve: Alright It's up to you
Lovella: I think it's a pup A pup? Yeah Really? I feel like You're not getting confused with dogs? Guys I might be so terribly wrong and ridiculously wrong, but I think it's a pup. No, I swear. I think it's a pup. But if I'm wrong, I'm going to be so embarrassed.
Steve: I'm going to scroll down because I know the answer. You are correct.
Lovella: Wait, really?
Steve: Yes. It is a pup.
Lovella: I knew it. It was an instinct.
Steve: Was it?
Lovella: It was an instinct.
Steve: You just knew.
Lovella: As soon as you said the question, I was like, oh, it's like a pup.
Steve: It's a tricky one.
Lovella: I know. You wouldn't think like pup.
Steve: No.
Lovella: That's how it's kind of stuck.
Steve: I think that's also seals too, right? Yeah. Seals have baby pups too. There you go.
Lovella: What are dolphins babies called?
Steve: I don't know.
Lovella: Does anyone know what a baby dolphin is?
Steve: We could look it up.
Lovella: A baby dolphin baby.
Steve: We'll just ask the community.
Lovella: Yeah, let's just ask the community of kids versus parents.
Steve: Okay. So leave us a comment. Leave us a comment if you guys know what a baby dolphin's called.
Lovella: What a baby dolphin's called. Imagine if it's pups.
Steve: Could be pups. I don't know. Someone can look it up for us and leave it in the comments.
Lovella: Yes.
Steve: All right. Well, congratulations, Lovella. You take home the win. Sharks, you get to take the prize. You get to pick what we eat tonight. Is it going to be seafood?
Lovella: Nah, I'm not a seafood person.
Steve: You're not going to be seafood? You don't want crab? You don't want fish tonight?
Lovella: Ew, no, no.
Steve: No? You don't want to eat like a shark tonight?
Lovella: No, no, no.
Steve: No? It's probably going to be pizza, isn't it?
Lovella: Probably.
Steve: It's probably going to be pizza. Let's be honest.
Lovella: Pizza.
Steve: All right. Well, congratulations for winning and thanks to everybody for playing along today. We hope you enjoy the rest of Shark Week.
Lovella: Yes, thank you.
Steve: Check out some good shark documentaries online. Yes. We like watching Birdie, actually. Birdie.
Lovella: Oh, yes, Birdie.
Steve: Birdie Gregory.
Lovella: Birdie Gregory. or something.
Steve: Yeah.
Lovella: He's got some really cool stuff. But then a bunch of the National Geographic stuff is really cool. So go check that out.
Steve: Yeah. But Birdie's a favorite of ours. Yes. Maybe we'll be watching Birdie tonight.
Lovella: And if you're not already, follow the show.
Steve: Yes. Tap that follow button because that lets you know when a new episode drops.
Lovella: And thank you to Sadie who suggested this. We had a lot of fun and we hope you did too.
Steve: Enjoy Shark Week. Bye, everybody.
Lovella: Bye.
Steve: Dun. Duh.